Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
The Refuse are quite heavy and ride like dumptruck tires compared to the BJP.

What rim were you using where they blew off? But yeah, 65 is a little silly-high for those tires. The amount of force that would exert on a bead is pretty high, but they shouldn't blow off.
Light-bicycle carbon rims, hooked bead. Didn't have an issue after dropping under 60 PSI, but still a little disconcerting.

Went ahead and bought a set of the 700x32 Sectors - I'll report back after I get them mounted up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crabon-gnarmac.jpg (27.7 KB, 354 views)
Old 04-03-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Light-bicycle carbon rims, hooked bead. Didn't have an issue after dropping under 60 PSI, but still a little disconcerting.

Went ahead and bought a set of the 700x32 Sectors - I'll report back after I get them mounted up.
Yeah...try the new tubeless versions for sure.

Sectors are solid. I did burp one of the 28s, but the 32s have always intrigued.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:05 PM

BJP updates?

Don't want to derail the thread but ordered a set of BJP recently and there seem to be some slight changes. Darker navy logo, stiffer bead(slightly harder to mount) and slightly heavier. Wonder if the sidewall mess you mentioned has been resolved? I haven't gone tubeless yet on them yet.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:43 PM
roadeoheller

I'm running the standard casing tubeless with Orange Sealant w/o issue at 60psi. No weaping sealant. I believe I read Jan recommend the orange sealant for the initial seal on the EL casing as it seal better?

Here's a pic: https://instagram.com/p/BQT00r5Fzzn/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2017, 09:49 PM

If you have the room for a true 38mm. . . https://www.instagram.com/p/BScjOOAB...y=compasscycle
Old 04-04-2017, 07:38 AM

I was using OrangeSeal, I can tell because of all the orange streaking on the sidewalls..

The weeping seems to be pretty random. I have a buddy who had one tire weep, and one tire not.. he got a replacement and it was 50% better.. but still not as good as the non-weeping tire.

Of course, none of these tires have a sealing "butyl layer" like a true Tubeless Ready tire (and the associated +100 grams and extra rolling resistance) so I don't really have a legitimate complaint.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
If you have the room for a true 38mm. . . https://www.instagram.com/p/BScjOOAB...y=compasscycle
yeah, that's awesome. Here's hoping Jan will make the Babyshoe Pass tubeless also.

Instagram
Old 04-04-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwerkudara View Post
Don't want to derail the thread but ordered a set of BJP recently and there seem to be some slight changes. Darker navy logo, stiffer bead(slightly harder to mount) and slightly heavier. Wonder if the sidewall mess you mentioned has been resolved? I haven't gone tubeless yet on them yet.
Glad they apparently fixed the problem that I reported many times in Spring, Summer, and Fall last year without response, I might add.

I blew one BJP off tubeless at 65 psi. Some of them also did not hold air worth a damn on different rims using plenty or Orange sealant (need to put air in every 4-6 hours). The casings ruptured twice on me thru the tread with tubes running well below rated pressure. Running over a rather small rock on paved road.....immediate pressure loss. Two tires. On TABR.

My alternative to 700x35 tubeless? Sorry if off topic....

Back to latex tubes with orange seal. Vittoria 700x28 run 32 mm and are faster and as comfortable and far more reliable.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Glad they apparently fixed the problem that I reported many times in Spring, Summer, and Fall last year without response, I might add.

I blew one BJP off tubeless at 65 psi. Some of them also did not hold air worth a damn on different rims using plenty or Orange sealant (need to put air in every 4-6 hours). The casings ruptured twice on me thru the tread with tubes running well below rated pressure. Running over a rather small rock on paved road.....immediate pressure loss. Two tires. On TABR.

My alternative to 700x35 tubeless? Sorry if off topic....

Back to latex tubes with orange seal. Vittoria 700x28 run 32 mm and are faster and as comfortable and far more reliable.
When you put orange seal in latex tubes do they hold air for longer? That's my only concern about running latex tubes.

Side note in case anyone's considering the Hutchinson Black Mamba CX tires tubeless: I've had two blow off the rim with a snapped bead (i.e. the tire was rendered useless) when I brought it up to about 70 psi... which I needed to do to get the tire to seat fully. I'm guessing there's a way around this that people who've used these tires successfully can share, but I figured I'd put my experience out there.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:42 PM

Lots of folks around me running Clements of some variety tubeless. I just mounted up a set of WTB Exposure in 700x34 and I've been enjoying the heck out of them. They roll fast, but my guess is the shoulders are a bit knobbier than you're looking for.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
When you put orange seal in latex tubes do they hold air for longer? That's my only concern about running latex tubes.
Yes. I did have to add air once during PBP. I normally add air every ride as a habit. The lower rolling resistance, better flat resistance, and improved comfort is a small price to pay for 20 strokes of the pump compared to butyl tubes.

All my other tubeless tires hold air for a long time.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:43 AM

Well, mounted up the Hutchinson Sector 700x32.. and they are way undersized.

On 18 mm ID rims, they are barely over 30 mm wide (30.3) after sitting with tubes at 90 PSI overnight. This is probably close to what you'd get with a GP4000 in 700x28. Super bummer. I was hoping they would be closer to 33 or 34 on the "wider" rim. Maybe they'll get bigger with some riding, but I am not optimistic.

I'll ride them this summer since it's almost all pavement, but too small for extended off road work.

Hopefully the big boys get on the big-slick trend, as of right now there does not appear to be a viable tubeless option between "garden hose touring tire" and "fragile Compass tire"
Old 04-20-2017, 12:11 AM

I just noticed this thread.

Coincidentally I recently acquired a pair of Compass BJP Extralight. No problems seating, zero sealant weeping, inflated to 80 psi/tubeless with no issue, hammered on them on gravel today (~40 psi) and they did great. Velocity A23/Stans tape.

If they had issues before, they seem not to now.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:34 AM

I have been running the Maxxis Rambler in the 700x40 tubeless on Belgium+...

I have had no issues running anywhere between high 20's to 40 PSI

It measures more like a 38 and it clears well on my cross rig..

I believe it comes in a 35

However this may be a bit too much tread for your liking...
Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartenmeister View Post
I just noticed this thread.

Coincidentally I recently acquired a pair of Compass BJP Extralight. No problems seating, zero sealant weeping, inflated to 80 psi/tubeless with no issue, hammered on them on gravel today (~40 psi) and they did great. Velocity A23/Stans tape.

If they had issues before, they seem not to now.
This. Maybe it's because I only have experience with the current generation, but I've utterly brutalized a set of Snoqualmie Pass (44s) and Bon Jon Pass without any issue/flats. I ride a lot, and like a bull in a china shop. I break ****, often.

Just about to do the same with a set of the 650B Switchback Hill in an extralight casing. We'll see how they stack up.