Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 12:20 AM
v a n i l l a

if you want a SV...you either go basic (OG) or you are in for $10-12k dream bike. the marketing certainly plays to realizing an aspiration,

that said, it is also clear that VANILLA as in "sacha on the torch" is pretty much muerta, and SV is the direction of the "workshop"
Old 10-19-2017, 12:30 AM

I like it but NOT my cup o' tea for sure.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:31 AM

I'm pretty sure someone here has one in a 57ish that has been for sale a couple times. Maybe not
Old 10-19-2017, 04:53 AM

If only the came in stock 60 or 62s. Anything bigger than a 58 and it's custom time. I could easily and would pull trigger on an og but as soon as it's into the custom realm it is too much for me. Especially with our poor dollar

Last edited by pdonk; 10-19-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
You do realize that's $5-7K for a complete bike, right?

I mean, a Madone 9.2 is $5499 MSRP for an Ultegra build and wonky aluminum-rimmed carbon wheels...

In that light, $5XXX for this bike doesn't seem unreasonable.

Of course, I'd rather put $2,500-3,000 into custom steel and bargain hunt for the kit to build it out how I want it, but for the buy-it-off-the-shelf crowd, it's not exactly a bad option.
I get that portion of it, but I can like you said, I'd rather have a custom steel built up with Force/Ultegra and a similar build kit for $5000 which isn't very hard to do.

They're at a solid price point, but also one that puts them square in competition with the custom frame from any other steel builder. To me the major attraction in a steel bike is having it built up to fit and ride exactly as you want.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:45 AM

The Madone is kind of ugly but yah, if I'm buying a $5k bike that is not custom made for me it's not going to be steel.

Steel doesn't have the manufacturing difficulty of Ti or Carbon, to me the high price of this bike is because of the brand popularity more than the bike itself. They know they can charge what they want and they'll sell every one.

I gotta wonder if this thing prevents you from getting hit by cars though, it's so damn bright!

Kind of just musings from me, pretty sure I couldn't get a good fit on these bikes, certainly not a good enough fit on the stock geometry to justify the price, regardless of what it was made of or why it had this price.

Last edited by benb; 10-19-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
You do realize that's $5-7K for a complete bike, right?

I mean, a Madone 9.2 is $5499 MSRP for an Ultegra build and wonky aluminum-rimmed carbon wheels...

In that light, $5XXX for this bike doesn't seem unreasonable.

Of course, I'd rather put $2,500-3,000 into custom steel and bargain hunt for the kit to build it out how I want it, but for the buy-it-off-the-shelf crowd, it's not exactly a bad option.
these are excellent points. there are certainly cheaper steel bikes to be had though, and with custom geo and paint. I think that's why SV prices kinda rile people up in these parts. but it must be said that they do get what they ask for these, and sell every one. you have to hand it to them for sticking to their guns with what they think their product is worth.

sucks they don't have a frame only option for this OG1. wonder if they're doing away with that or maybe just for this (seemingly limited) run.