Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 02:21 PM

1998-2000 Record 9-speed shifters--triple compatible?

Asking for a friend. Well, okay, asking for me. I'm selling a nice pair of carbon Record 9-speed shifters of 1998-2000 vintage locally, and have been asked by a couple people if they're compatible with a triple crankset. One even sent me a photo of a bike with a 9-speed Veloce group using a triple, asking if the Record shifters would work.

Would they? I have to admit that I don't know anything about triples.

Since I'm here, another question: would the Record shifters work with a 9-speed Shimano cassette? I've been asked that as well.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:29 PM

Yes, they absolutely are compatible with triples. All Record (and Chorus) mechanical shifters are triple compatible, as well as all non-Escape and non-PowerShift Campagnolo shifters. (In other words, all Campagnolo left shifters that used micro-detents.)

However, there is one caveat: These left shifters are not indexed, so the rider must adjust the position of the derailleur (particularly on the middle chainring) manually, much like a friction shifter. Someone who is used to indexed front shifting might not like this.

As far as 9 speed Shimano cassettes (assuming matching Campagnolo shifters and derailleurs): It can work, but not perfectly. The cassette spacing between 9spd Shimano and Campagnolo cassettes is close, but not the same. The quality and precision of the shifting will vary across the cassette, being worst at the extreme ends of the cassette. I know some people who have used this combination for quite some time, with some degree of success, but the shifting quality can be far from using a completely matched drivetrain.

Last edited by Mark McM; 10-18-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:41 PM

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware that none of the Campy shifters do indexed front shifting for triples. Does Shimano do that?

As for the Shimano inquiries about compatibility, I've essentially said "not really" to everyone, and I don't think I would want to follow through on a sale, given that a buyer would naturally expect that it would work well. And these are people with full Shimano drivetrains anyway, not people who are already using Campy derailleurs (which would suggest a weird situation where they have a Shimano cassette with an otherwise Campy drivetrain, which is just...weird, I think).
Old 10-18-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware that none of the Campy shifters do indexed front shifting for triples. Does Shimano do that?
Actually, Campagnolo Escape and Powershift shifters (found on mid to lower end component groups) do have indexed front shifting (for both double shifters and triple shifters). As far as I'm aware, all Shimano brifters have indexed front shifting (double and triple versions).

So, you already know how your Record shifters work. Here's a quick rundown of how the lower end shifters (those marked as Escape or PowerShift) work:

Front shifter: Distinct indexed positions for each chainring (shifters may be specifically compatible for only double or triple chainrings). May shift two chainrings at a time going to larger chainrings, one chainring at a time going to smaller chainrings.

Rear shifter: May shift up to 3 sprockets at a time going to larger sprockets, but only one sprocket at a time going to smaller chainrings.

In many ways, the Escape and PowerShift shifters are somewhat similar to Shimano's STS shifters.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:04 PM

I never tried it but you can probably find how-to info about mixing Campy/Shimano bits by slightly altering how you wrap the cable onto a rear derailer. I think it was to use Campy shifters with Shimano cassettes.