Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 07:21 AM
Administrator

i would have no reservations retaping that and riding it. check it again in a couple hundred miles; especially if you dont have a back-up set of wheels, ride on...
Old 10-16-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Had a customer who brought in a rim with a BIG nail thru it...tire side thru space between spoke holes..we pulled it out, replaced the rim tape and off he rode..new tire and tube.
But how did he get on days later? A problem like this may take a while to cause issues.

Tim
Old 10-16-2017, 10:44 AM

$0.02 more

I suspect the worst case scenario is that over time the rim bed *may possibly* start to split and expand --which you will feel at the brake pads if you are a "sensitive to things like that" type (I am).

I know this is a slightly different situation but I'm always impressed with how strong stuff generally is. On my rear wheel I got a duplex nail through my tubeless tire, rim bed, and then it exited near a spoke, leaving a 1/4" hole after all sharp edges were filed down. I had just built those guys(HED belgium+) and couldn't face doing it again right away. File, light countersink, JB weld (to keep stuff out), sharpie, new tape and go. It's been 9 months w/o any changes.