Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM
Randomhead

I'm curious why some people have no problem with FSD, and others report that it repeatedly just stops for no reason. Unfortunately you'll never find that out from Tesla, they keep that kind of thing secret.
Old Today, 09:14 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
There's now a cybertruck in my neighborhood. It is so much ulgier in person than in photos, I mean it makes the Gremlin look like something designed by Leonardo DaVinci.

I have nothing against electric cars, having owned two and now a hybrid, but never a Tesla. I want a car from a car company.
But, even the car companies make ugly and/or stupid looking electric versions. They tell their (probably 17 year old) designers to make them look like something out of Blade Runner and give it a stupid day glo green paint job. Why? Because they know the market is virtue signalling upper middle class suburbanites, saying, look at me! I'm prescious! Better than you. Betcha.
It's a car. Make it look like a car.
Old Today, 09:21 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Man I couldn't disagree more. I've clicked just over 5,000 miles on my Model 3 with FSD and not one issue. It's almost cheating for any drive over an hour at this point. Just keep a hand on the wheel and it does the rest. It corners better than me, at speed, with traffic on both sides and is more attentive than I could ever be with things happening in front and behind me while driving.

Maybe parking lots and city streets are the cause of most of the FSD issues, but that takes into account a lot of erratic human behavior around you too. Jaywalking, multiple turn lanes, curbed lanes, tight entries to parking lots, etc.
"Just keep a hand on the wheel and it does the rest."

That's the part I don't get. Staying tense and in a driving position is not self driving, right? I've never experienced it, but, from the sound of it, I'd rather be controlling things, not waiting for what could be disaster every second.

"Erratic human behavior"

Yeah, those pesky humans. What are you going to do with them?
Old Today, 09:47 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
"Just keep a hand on the wheel and it does the rest."

That's the part I don't get. Staying tense and in a driving position is not self driving, right? I've never experienced it, but, from the sound of it, I'd rather be controlling things, not waiting for what could be disaster every second.

"Erratic human behavior"

Yeah, those pesky humans. What are you going to do with them?
Here's a 4 minute explanation video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JydmgHrvA5c

Tense? One hand somewhere on the wheel, anywhere, any hand to verify that a human is sitting behind the wheel somewhat aware of the surroundings in case some other irresponsible human does something stupid is the bare minimum requirement.

I'd rather not be manually controlling things like speed with relation to speed limit, lane position, or distance from other vehicles on a long road trip if I don't have to. The car does it all perfectly, every time. It see's the lane, it knows the speed limit (it sees the speed limit signs and has data from the roads), it has 10 cameras and see's all angles at all times significantly better than someone sitting in the drivers seat.

Yes - erratic human behavior is the problem. Computers follow the rules they are given much, much, much more than humans who make their own decisions about when to cross the road, where they cross the road, what speed to drive, etc.

Anyway, TGIF, don't knock it til you've tried it internet folks.
Old Today, 10:05 AM
slower than you

Maybe I should have added for this forum, those pesky humans on those damn bicycles. They should buy a Tesla!

"human is sitting behind the wheel somewhat aware of the surroundings in case some other irresponsible human does something stupid is the bare minimum requirement."

Do you see the problem there? "Somewhat aware of the surroundings"? Sorry, I want everyone to be aware of their surroundings, at all times. It's why I wear bright colors and have two almost blinding lights on the bike.

We're being brainwashed by these incredibly wealthy tech nerds that humans suck, their robots are better. And probably thousands will be killed and maimed over the next decade from their unregulated products, but they will be all be living in their .1% utopian gated communities, laughing at us.
Old Today, 10:12 AM
slower than you

As always, I refer to that excellent Blomkamp movie, Elysium. Be careful what you hope for.