Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Pack your own lunch every morning.. it is much harder to find an excuse not to eat a healthy meal if you bring your lunch and don't have to go out to get it.

If someone goes and schedules a meeting during lunch they can expect to watch my eat part of the meeting. Obviously doesn't work for some kinds of meetings but for most it's fine. So many of those meetings have food brought in anyway.

It's not like the cafeteria is likely to be a healthy habit anyway.
Agreed. Sunday evening is 'cook for the week' in our house. Soup, curry or turkey chili. I bring a serving in a thermos, along with a spinach salad, some veggies, fruit, maybe some nuts or hummus as a snack. I take some oil & vinegar in a separate container so the spinach doesn't get soggy & gross. That way everything can be assembled the night before, too. Healthier & cheaper than cafeteria or takeout.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:12 AM

I'm with Malcolm...I rarely eat a lunch during the week (which is when I ride). Sometimes an avocado, maybe with some rice crackers and a handful of almonds (large Costco bag on my desk). I also keep 100cal "protein shakes" (case, also Costco) in the fridge at work...just in case.

Having said that...I have a bad habit of often having an afternoon mocha (latte).

-Mark in St. Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
Lunch is where I try and save calories. I eat breakfast and I know I'm not going to conserve at dinner with all the family also there and eating so lunch is where I cut back.
I'll usually have a serving of whey protein, good for keeping hunger at bay and a couple pieces of fruit.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:28 AM

Humus is my emergency food. A couple of big spoonfuls and the hint of bonk goes away. An excellent mix of protein and complex carbohydrates. So, just keep a big tub of Costco humus in the work fridge and a spoon in your desk.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:00 AM

Greek Yogurt with honey and fruit. Nuts.

Sprouted wheat bread and almond butter.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:28 AM

my 'emergency' lunch....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .0.jpg (108.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 07-28-2015, 10:30 AM
That guy..

oatmeal.

1 cup

shuts the brain up.

carry on with your day :P
Old 07-28-2015, 10:41 AM

I'm kind of amazed to see so many people skipping lunch on a fitness oriented/healthy living oriented forum.

I don't necessarily eat everything I pack right at noon as I try to break things up and eat a little bit every few hours but to completely skip lunch is surprising here as coaches/nutritionists/etc.. really really don't like what it does to the body.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:46 AM

I bring my yumbox (hey, it works and doesnt leak - it's not just for kids!) every day with a good ol' homemade meal. today was smoked ham on peasant bread with mustard and lettuce. heirloom tomatoes and onions in one compartment, a chopped peach in the other and pistachios in the center circle.

most meals take about 5 minutes to prepare the night before.

eat better and saving a lot of $.

my biggest issue is i always eat it too early.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:05 AM

eating a PB&J as I type this!

I try to bring lunch at least a 3 days a week. It's usually PB&J if there aren't any leftovers. Usually have a catered meeting or lunch with a client at least once a week...and in warm weather I can't miss food truck friday with my coworkers... Sort of tough being right in the city and having literally hundreds of options for yummy lunch within in walking distance.

As a backup (or mid afternoon snack ), I keep granola bars, instant oatmeal, nuts, etc. at my desk
Old 07-28-2015, 01:20 PM

I am "PB" guy but usually replace the "J" with a sliced apple.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:43 PM

I do PB with just about anything -- pickles, celery, fruit, honey, etc etc.

There's no emergency whatsoever if you pack your lunch.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:28 PM
Veni.Vidi.Bici.

Why not....

why not slow cooker your meals, with rice and veg, let them cool, put them into ziplock bags and freeze. I usually do this and throw them in my bag for my commute and then into the fridge at work. I just keep them wrapped in tinfoil or a separate lunch bag so they dont wet my clothes.

at least you know whats going into them
Old 07-28-2015, 02:29 PM

I always have bags of nuts at work which I munch on all day long. Almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, walnuts. If I forget to pack my lunch (my emergency) I just eat more nuts and seeds. I'm vegan and the nuts provide some fat. Sometimes, besides the nuts and seeds, there is dried fruit. This stuff keeps without refrigeration.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:51 PM
I need you cool.

I keep bags of nuts (almonds, cashews) in my desk to nibble on when I can't get out for lunch. Doing that right now...

My son really likes the Amy's frozen burritos (bean, rice, cheese) but not the gluten free one....

Also, check out the Dr McDougalls instant oatmeals...good flavors and all the sugar comes in a package so you can add what you want and throw away the rest....I typically toss the whole thing.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:09 PM
cnighbor2

Quick lunch

I always keep energy bars around were I am in case I need some food intake and a prepared meal is not at hand or able to make one
Fruit veggies also keep handy
Charles