Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2015, 08:51 PM

Hub Rotor Alignment

Is it true that wheelsets with different brand disk hubs should be easily interchangeable on the same bike? Is the placement of the rotor universal between brands?

I just purchased a set of wheels on Ebay that have Chris King R45 Disk hubs, the are currently laced to Stans Iron Cross Rims. My thinking was the price was so good I would use the hubs for a new road wheel build and put use the Iron cross with my current hubs. The total price for the wheelset was way less than the cost of the hubs alone, so I fealt like I was smart.

When I spoke to a new guy at my LBS about ordering new rotors and a cassette he told me I should have the same hubs on each wheelset to avoid fit issues when swapping from road to CX wheels. Is this true? Do I really have to go buy a set of King Hubs to easily switch from the road to CX set?
Old 07-27-2015, 08:55 PM
ergottWheels

Unfortunately it does vary. You can set the calipers to the hubs that have the rotor most outboard and shim the rotors on the other hubs to match, but you are limited to shim thickness and pad clearance. With mechanicals there is less clearance.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:02 PM

I don't like that answer. Anyone have an answer I will like? Just kidding, thanks for the quick reply

I guess I will just have to put the iron cross rims aside for now until I can take the pain of another set of CK hubs.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:22 PM

Just put them on the bike and use spacers for the set that have rotors furthest inward. Generally they're pretty close. Barring that, adjusting the caliper takes but a moment. The newer ones adjust easily and is easier than installing a spacer on each bolt, less tedious too
Old 07-28-2015, 06:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.Saunders View Post
Is it true that wheelsets with different brand disk hubs should be easily interchangeable on the same bike? Is the placement of the rotor universal between brands?

I just purchased a set of wheels on Ebay that have Chris King R45 Disk hubs, the are currently laced to Stans Iron Cross Rims. My thinking was the price was so good I would use the hubs for a new road wheel build and put use the Iron cross with my current hubs. The total price for the wheelset was way less than the cost of the hubs alone, so I fealt like I was smart.

When I spoke to a new guy at my LBS about ordering new rotors and a cassette he told me I should have the same hubs on each wheelset to avoid fit issues when swapping from road to CX wheels. Is this true? Do I really have to go buy a set of King Hubs to easily switch from the road to CX set?
Not always. Altho sorta, kinda standard, where the rotor is on various front and rear hubs, the only thing really standard is that they are on the left side.

Kinda like cogsets. Pretty close, hub to hub, but 'most' require a rear der adjust when you swap.

So no, you don't have to buy anything but you may have to adjust both the rear der and caliper when you swap wheels with different hubs.

Tags
disk hubs