Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2015, 05:56 PM
Made in Belgium

Who rides an aluminium Zanc?

Enough with steel, alloy is the new real!

I know Mike Z started welding aluminium not so long ago so I cannot find any user report. If you ride an aluminium Zanc please post your impressions here. How does it compare with your other rides? Bonus points for pictures!

Cheers,

Philippe.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:15 PM

Paging Ryun...
Old 07-27-2015, 08:01 PM

I will report in 3 weeks time when I build it up.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Administrator

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ight=zanconato
Old 07-27-2015, 08:36 PM
VAV

Zanc himself
Old 07-27-2015, 08:50 PM

do want
Old 07-27-2015, 10:46 PM

Me.....

I do. I think I was alu frame number 1 or 2...

I have a few hundred miles on it now, so I can give you some riding impressions...

1) its light...how light? Full bike is 15.4 lbs...frameset with tapered fork is crazy light...
2) its stiff in all the right places... My team mates tell me that when I step on the gas it is a rocketship. It has very direct power transfer. No chain rub, no real deflection.
3) it feels very nimble, of course Mike has my geo nailed, but this bike feels like it is on rails...
4) it chatters a bit....the back end is very tight and light, it can have a tendency to chatter a bit over uneven terrain...its both a good and bad thing..
5) its stiff...oh I said that... Perfect for crits, road races etc....not sure I would want to do paris breast paris on it...

The carbon bars certainly take out a fair amount of the buzz, the bike is a rocket ship...not made to go slow... i love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.7 KB, 305 views)
Old 07-28-2015, 08:45 AM
Made in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCL View Post
I do. I think I was alu frame number 1 or 2...

I have a few hundred miles on it now, so I can give you some riding impressions...

1) its light...how light? Full bike is 15.4 lbs...frameset with tapered fork is crazy light...
2) its stiff in all the right places... My team mates tell me that when I step on the gas it is a rocketship. It has very direct power transfer. No chain rub, no real deflection.
3) it feels very nimble, of course Mike has my geo nailed, but this bike feels like it is on rails...
4) it chatters a bit....the back end is very tight and light, it can have a tendency to chatter a bit over uneven terrain...its both a good and bad thing..
5) its stiff...oh I said that... Perfect for crits, road races etc....not sure I would want to do paris breast paris on it...

The carbon bars certainly take out a fair amount of the buzz, the bike is a rocket ship...not made to go slow... i love it!
Thanks a lot Stephen, much appreciated to have your feedback!

I'm tempted. Just a bit worried by the lack of comfort.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:29 AM
You still here?

Aluminum frames can be made as comfortable or stiff as you want. I've had two alu bikes, one production and one a custom that were/are terrific all-day rides. I'm sure Zank can make one just for you!
Old 07-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Made in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
Aluminum frames can be made as comfortable or stiff as you want. I've had two alu bikes, one production and one a custom that were/are terrific all-day rides. I'm sure Zank can make one just for you!
I'm sure he can Dave. Pricing isn't too bad, but I just checked the exchange rate... Damn... You guys could buy the whole Canada now! 1900 USD = 2470 CAD!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Deeply fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
word. Peg 8:30AM rider here. just don't add the constraint to make the bike as light as possible and you'll get the comfort.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:34 AM

My Lobster is super comfortable for long day rides. I'll second what MadRocketSci says. Big alu tubes don't mean "beat you to death" anymore.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcollard View Post
I'm sure he can Dave. Pricing isn't too bad, but I just checked the exchange rate... Damn... You guys could buy the whole Canada now! 1900 USD = 2470 CAD!
Very nice frame. Where did you get that USD price? Is it on the Zanc website? Just saw the Cdn dollar to US at .77 cents!!! Terrible. I remember in 2008 when it was over $1.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Made in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRocketSci View Post
word. Peg 8:30AM rider here. just don't add the constraint to make the bike as light as possible and you'll get the comfort.
I still kick myself for not getting a 8:30AM that was exactly my size a couple years ago. It stayed for a few days in the classifieds, it was beautiful, still I waited too long when I should have jumped on it.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Made in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppler View Post
Very nice frame. Where did you get that USD price? Is it on the Zanc website? Just saw the Cdn dollar to US at .77 cents!!! Terrible. I remember in 2008 when it was over $1.
Yes pricing is on the website : http://cycling.zanconato.com/bicycles/road/

"Welded Aluminum Powder Coat $1850. A welded frameset with the powder coat option includes a stock finish Enve 1.0 Road fork."

That's an excellent price for a full custom frameset, with Enve fork, if you ask me.

I wish we were still in 2008 when we had parity! Now everything that comes from the USA is quite expensive for us up north.