Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Deeply fried

French Mountain Water potability

So I found myself in the Pyrenees with some friends the week the tour was passing through, and we were headed out from St. Girons to check out stage 12 on Plateau de Beille. Along the way we rode over the Col de Port, and since it was blazing hot again, stopped at the top next to a water "fountain"....basically a pipe sticking out of the side of the mtn flowing water with a stone trough underneath. Now up until this point I've been sticking with sources with a clear sign marked "Eau Potable", but this one had no sign and did not say "Eau non potable." Didn't realize there was a bar in another 200 m but filled up the bottles and drank another 500 ml, cooled off the head, etc. I've asked around about the whole potability rules of signs but have conflicting answers from "it's safe" to "you take your chances" for the no sign case.

would probably not have bothered posting this but on day 9 spent some time on the throne....now, could've been/probably from the raw cookie dough in my self serve frozen yogurt, but thought i would try to clear this up for good. So, no sign, eau potable ou eau peut etre non potable???

Merci.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:18 PM
don'TreadOnMe

I've been there, exactly.
Beautiful riding, and yep, I've filled bottles from that spot.

No worries for me, I can tell you. No issues @ all.

Congrats on your trip, memories to last a lifetime w/out a doubt.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRocketSci View Post
basically a pipe sticking out of the side of the mtn flowing water with a stone trough underneath.
I'd drink it, and I'd wager the locals drink it every day, and twice on Sunday.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:53 PM

No sign=potable as far as I know, and no problems so far applying that rule hundreds of times. I'll even drink from eau non controllee sometimes. Sometimes I think they put "non potable" on fountains to keep the riffraff away .
Old 07-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Administrator

i'd imagine some of it comes down to localized immunity too. the locals who drink the water every day may not have an issue, but someone new to the region might?
Old 07-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Deeply fried

thanks, probably the same water they bottle and sell for 4 euros at the airports

I'll just avoid the "eau non potable" sources next to the public toilets from now on!
Old 07-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Deeply fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'd imagine some of it comes down to localized immunity too. the locals who drink the water every day may not have an issue, but someone new to the region might?
yes, perhaps. though i kinda like the idea of taking home some pyreneean "friends" with me
Old 07-27-2015, 01:14 PM

It should be potable. The fountains were the main source of drinking water for many years. It's likely that a spring is its source. Now, people often splash themselves or dunk their heads, so be sure to get it from the pipe, not the pool. As far as the other issue, I drink tap water in Europe without concern. I have had some discomfort as my body adjusted to their biota. A greater concern for me is horse flies in restaurants. With fewer building having air conditioning and so much dining outside, restaurant doors open, kitchen back doors open, etc., they represent a significant vector.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:52 PM

I've never had trouble drinking mountain water in Europe or the UK. It's something I miss now that I live in the US. Often the water looks so good, but I daren't risk giardia...
Old 07-27-2015, 03:07 PM

Generally ok

Funny, I was thinking about this over the weekend when they showed the crowds on one of the alps and there was clearly a water pipe sticking out in one scene.....I had the same dilemma when I was on the Peyresourde in '03. All the locals were filling bottles but I opted against it, which I regretted about 3hrs later as I rode up the Col d'Aspin and ran out of water.

If faced with the choice again I'd do it. Huge caveat here, but *most* water borne bacteria in the mountains are the result of animal/fecal contamination, which happens to open creeks and streams. Water the comes straight from the ground in a spring is most often ok, since it hasn't had the chance to be contaminated. Of course there's still the potential for other contaminants to the source/water table, but that isn't that likely in a remote mountain area away from industry.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:20 PM

Eau potable I drink, non-controll馥 I drink, that's just someone covering their ass by taking no responsibility for the water, non-potable I don't drink, there's always more water somewhere else
Old 07-27-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn_user View Post
I've never had trouble drinking mountain water in Europe or the UK. It's something I miss now that I live in the US. Often the water looks so good, but I daren't risk giardia...
Portable filtration or UV pen.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Deeply fried

definitely more sheep in the pyrenees than alps, especially judging by what they leave behind on the cols
Old 07-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
not really... this isn' central asia. i got around fine using common sense - if its a creek running over open meadows where cattle graze, i wouldn't drink it because of Coli and some dead animal might be in it above. If it comes literally outa the mountain, which often happens where granite is there, it should be drinkable with very low risk
Old 07-27-2015, 04:39 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

If you aren't there long enough for your body to acclimate to the local flora and fauna this might help:

http://www.steripen.com/adventurer-opti/

Last edited by Louis; 07-27-2015 at 04:42 PM.