Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I just looked back at that original UK roadie site and a number of people report having done the same thing I did. And it sounds like we all got the message at the same time saying they'd reversed their decision. I can only imagine how many other people did out of the several hundred thousand views that post got...

So enough people complained to make them take a second look. I'm glad that triggered a response. It also makes me not necessarily believe all "no-reply" corporate email addresses are really "no-reply" - Facebook evidently puts that in the address to discourage a lot of follow up emails, but there's clearly someone there reviewing them. Particularly when they get a lot of 'em...

-Ray
Lets hope the guy that was assaulted comes forward and goes to the police with link to many of the videos that are still available of this crime still on line.
Eventually they'll find the lowlife! http://www.thejournal.ie/cyclist-push-2238601-Jul2015/
Old 07-27-2015, 03:36 PM

Going viral on FB: video of a guy pushing cyclist off bike from a driving car

The surprising thing is that anyone who rides a bike is surprised. Its the wild wide west out there brothers & sisters. We are the acceptable to abuse minority.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:29 PM

Ray!!!!!!! Good job man.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Isn't this assault?
If I am remembering my Crim Law class from 30 years ago, I think it would actually be battery, since there was an actual harmful or offensive touching, not just an imminent threat of one.

Of course, the guys who really need the "touching" - preferably with a baseball bat to a part of the body they obviously never use, meaning their heads - are the anus cookies who (a) pushed the cyclist, (b) filmed it, and (c) posted it on YouTube.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:40 PM

Facebook disabled it, but it's forever cached on the internet.

The pusher should be pushed into prison and treated like the little &^%!$! that he is.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10419688.html
Old 07-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Made in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Facebook disabled it, but it's forever cached on the internet.

The pusher should be pushed into prison and treated like the little &^%!$! that he is.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10419688.html
Note that if you look at his picture the guy doesn't exactly look like a Nobel prize neither. I hope Darwin takes care of him.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:18 PM
It An't Me Babe

Mr. Maughn - far left of the curve. That he can get his cheap thrill outta doin' this tells me all I want to know about this wanker.

Embarrassment to the species. Top of the food chain and this is what we have to show for it - a life lived at the blunt end of how it was taught & lived in high/secondary school. Hey, life is great just takin' the piss, innit?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:02 PM

these 2 young idiots in a pickup tried to do that to me saturday, this better not be some dumb ass new trend for kids...
Old 07-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Well, given all the stuff that happens in the world today, I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that some segment of the population would consider this to be a fun "game."

If sure that if they were caught and dragged into court their lawyers would clean them up, buy them suits and say "until now they've been such good kids - you can't ruin their reputation for one teeny stunt like this."
Old 07-27-2015, 09:23 PM

Ray, good job. Taking it one step further.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Randomhead

car slows down next to me nowadays and I'm ready to grab an arm. I had someone punch me from a car once, and it would have been easy to pull the guy out of the car had I been ready. Fool me once ...

My main regret from that incident is not seeing the jerk lying on the ground.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
this better not be some dumb ass new trend for kids...
crap.
didn't think of that.
wonderful.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Cows have been living with it for years. They're probably happy to share the pain.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
Isn't this assault?
Technically, that's battery. Assault is threatening to hurt people in an effort to intimidate. Battery is when you actually touch someone with intent to hurt them.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
No, not like the a$$hat in the video.

I got the video on Facebook and reported it and got the same response as noted earlier:

"Thank you for taking the time to report something that you feel may violate our Community Standards. Reports like yours are an important part of making Facebook a safe and welcoming environment. We reviewed the video you reported for containing graphic violence and found it doesn't violate our Community Standards."

That came in a stock email from Facebook, and I sent the following reply (it went to a "no reply" address but I couldn't find anywhere else to send it, so I sent it anyway and didn't expect to ever hear anything else about it):

"It SHOULD violate your community standards and any standards of decency. The little "prank" this guy pulled could very easily get an innocent bike rider killed or seriously injured. Maybe you didn't watch it all the way to the end, but it encourages knocking innocent bike riders off of the road. If that doesn't violate your community standards, it's not a community I want anything to do with!"

And, then much to my surprise, a few minutes later, I got this response:

"We revised our decision on your report of Eoin Maughan's video

We reviewed the video you reported for containing graphic violence. Since it violated our Community Standards, we removed it. Thanks for your report. We let Eoin Maughan know that his video has been removed, but not who reported it."

I'm guessing when they reviewed it the first time, they may have just seen the beginning of the idiot hanging out of the window and didn't follow it through to the act of knocking the guy over. Once I pushed a little (and I have to assume some other people may have also), they took it down.

One win for the good guys!

-Ray
I have been involved in social media on a corporate level. Every now and then we are the target of bigot/racist hate speach. This response is, sadly, standard.

Facebook always claim they've reviewed and it doesn't violate community standards. As far as I can tell it takes a few reports for them to actually look at it.