Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2015, 06:42 AM

Mountain bike pedals

I have a MTB incoming and it has been a long time that I really mountain biked. So I am not in tune with whats current.

This MTB will be used for riding from neighborhood streets to gravel roads to single track. So I need a pedal I can wear with my converse but also can work for actual mountain biking.

I know the gravity guys don稚 use clips but are platform pedals an option? If not what is a good pedal that has a nice pedal platform integral or a clip in platform that is good?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2015, 07:59 AM

Lots o' choices

Shimano makes tons of SPD choices, and Crank Brothers Mallets look cool (for several more smackers) IMO.
And I can walk in my MTB shoes with these cleats.

There are LOTS of other choices as well.

Yesterday on a trail ride, a total stranger let me try his schweet fat-tire bike, props to that nice guy. We both wore Shimano SPD, so each could click into the other's pedals. I am guessing they are the dominant brand.

Last edited by OldCrank; 07-27-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: correction
Old 07-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
I have a MTB incoming and it has been a long time that I really mountain biked. So I am not in tune with whats current.

This MTB will be used for riding from neighborhood streets to gravel roads to single track. So I need a pedal I can wear with my converse but also can work for actual mountain biking.

I know the gravity guys don稚 use clips but are platform pedals an option? If not what is a good pedal that has a nice pedal platform integral or a clip in platform that is good?

Thanks
http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Well...FZFgfgodsdYCLA

Shimano has a model as well..but as I've said in other threads, I no speak MTB. I have sold a lot of these and the shimano one tho.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:32 AM

The new trend is a lot of guys are using flat pedals... I still prefer clipless though (SPD).

I wouldn't suggest the dual sided (clipless / platform) for actual mountain bike riding as it can be hard to clip in or clip back in quickly as you find yourself fumbling around trying to find the right side of the pedal. I have some of these on my commuter bike and they work for that, but I would not use them for actual mountain biking. Depends on what type of riding you will do I suppose. Could work fine for mellow riding, but for more difficult single track with lots of ups and downs, tight turns, etc.... I want to be able to clip back in as easily as possible.

Last edited by 4Rings6Stars; 07-27-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:41 AM

I have Shimano XTs on all of my off road bikes.

Can't think of a reason to try something else.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:54 AM

I went the affordable route and chose the SP-M520 from Shimano. Several retail sources have it for $32 with free shipping. Holds well on single track, and comes out just fine when I'm falling over. Go for the Deore XT, though, if you can afford it.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:03 AM
n - 1

I'm an SPD guy myself. You can get "trail" versions for your Converse neighborhood rides.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmersam View Post
I went the affordable route and chose the SP-M520 from Shimano. Several retail sources have it for $32 with free shipping. Holds well on single track, and comes out just fine when I'm falling over. Go for the Deore XT, though, if you can afford it.
The shop I hang out swung a nice deal for three sets.

They were about the same deal as online pricing and I could get them immediately. That was handy, as we were heading out to Moab the next day.

FWIW I use the XTs in mud, gravel, fire roads, snow etc.

I have them on my Niner, Merckx AluCross and my Fargo.

I am now down to two pairs of shoes and that reduces bike clutter.

That is greatly appreciated by my wife.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
I have Shimano XTs on all of my off road bikes.

Can't think of a reason to try something else.

They sure don't look good for street shoes.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:24 AM
Soy Un Perdedor

You can't go wrong with Shimano XT SPD.

A lightweight alternative to Shimano are the Ritchey Paradigm WCS model. The Paradigms are not "officially" SPD compatible, but they in fact are. I've been using these on my two XC bikes with my SPD cleats for about 2 years now and I'm really happy with them.

Regardless, of whether you get Shimano SPD or another brand of SPD compatible pedals, if you're not used to using SPDs on dirt/gravel, consider getting the Shimano SH-56 multi-directional release cleat (Shimano Pedals ship with the SH-51 cleat). You can find them for about $15, and they allow you to pop out of your cleats in any weird emergency situation, and they also add a bit of float if you have knee issues.

Last edited by ofcounsel; 07-27-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:35 AM

I have XT on all my mtbs. Many things have changed over the years, however these faithful mechanisms have changed little.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Well...FZFgfgodsdYCLA

Shimano has a model as well..but as I've said in other threads, I no speak MTB. I have sold a lot of these and the shimano one tho.
I have these on one bike and they work very well both ways. Mine came from Performance Bike where they call them the "Campus" model. I think they "list" there for $50 but frequently go on sale for $40 so the link OP provides is a good deal. I got them thinking I would ride clipped in most of the time but the flat pedal idea worked so well that I rarely clip in any more.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:39 AM

Time has some wide platform pedals with clip in that might cover your needs as well.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:46 AM

I ride time ATACs. If you really need to be able to ride in casual shoes, I'd go with good flats/platforms. I only ride trails with my mtb so I prefer clipless. I do not ride it to the store or any other place that casual shoes would be needed. MTB shoes have recessed cleats so walkability is fine for short distances.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:00 PM

I use ATACs, I prefer the mud clearing properties over Shimano - but plenty use Shimano w/ no problems.

Platforms - many options abound - be careful with the ones that use metal studs, or don't wear shorts when riding.
my wife has a story about this and her grocery getter