Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2015, 09:11 AM

Help Please - Tubular Tires

Hey guys,

I am making a foray into tubular tires and need some helping sorting things out. I ordered some continental Gatorskin tubulars, and received regular Continental Sprinters. I realize now I should have asked advice before ordering tires, but am now trying to figure out what to do. So questions:

1. Are Sprinters ok for all around use?
2. Are Gatorskins better and longer lasting?
3. Did I screw up entirely such that I should just send them back and order something else entirely? (I paid $100 delivered for the pair which seemed like a good deal.)
4. Any reason not to use Tufo tape on carbon rims?

Thanks in advance.

Saul aka CaptStash....
Old 07-28-2015, 09:14 AM

Going into tubulars and using Gatorskins is like buying a Ferrari and swapping a 2 stroke Saab engine into it to save on gas mileage. Its kind of removing everything that makes the original enjoyable.

The Sprinters are fine tires and that sounds like a pretty solid price. Whoever sent you the Sprinters did you a favor. I don't understand why Gatorskin tubulars exist.

The tape will be easy for install, but you'll hate removal when it comes time to get the tires off.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:31 AM

Recently started riding tubulars, the Sprinter seems fine to me. I ride mostly on a smooth road, but have to ride through ~2km of gravel to go where I like, and I've never had an issue.

The wheels I picked up came with tufo tape, one wheel was super easy to clean off, the other, not so much. Both were pretty hard to initially pull off. Not sure how I'd fare at a race. Anyway, switched to glue for now since the shop near me only had glue at the time I had my first flat.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:32 AM
kg

Lennard Zinn at Velonews loves a new tape by Effeto Mariposa called Carogna. Tufo, not so much.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:57 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptStash View Post
Hey guys,

I am making a foray into tubular tires and need some helping sorting things out. I ordered some continental Gatorskin tubulars, and received regular Continental Sprinters. I realize now I should have asked advice before ordering tires, but am now trying to figure out what to do. So questions:

3. Did I screw up entirely such that I should just send them back and order something else entirely? (I paid $100 delivered for the pair which seemed like a good deal.)

Thanks in advance.

Saul aka CaptStash....
1.Yes
2.Gatorskins have more 'stuff' in the sidewalks so cut less easily.
3.No just use them
4.the only advantage to tape is you can ride right away. But more than a few disadvantages like goop left over after taking the tire off and 'some' instances of taking carbon off the rim when you remove the tape...use glue, I like Panaracer.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
1.Yes
2.Gatorskins have more 'stuff' in the sidewalks so cut less easily.
3.No just use them
4.the only advantage to tape is you can ride right away. But more than a few disadvantages like goop left over after taking the tire off and 'some' instances of taking carbon off the rim when you remove the tape...use glue, I like Panaracer.
Good advice. That is what I would do if I ever decided to go back to tubulars after using them for 30 years. Doubt if I ever go back though. Sprinters good all around tire. Maybe best. Use glue....so simple to use. Just keep some mineral spirits handy to clean your finger and around the rim edge.

Last edited by Ralph; 07-28-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:07 PM

Never buy tubulars with the intent on running crappy tires. Defeats the benefits of riding a tubular tire. Most run tubular tires for the sublime feel of the Latex tube and hand made construction.

Conti sprinters are regarded as one of the nicer tubular tires, granted Conti tubular tires use butyl inner tubes. It should last you some time, and just remember to run them low. Running a tubular tire with high air pressure, is like riding on balloons ready to pop at the slightest pebble.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptStash View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.

Saul aka CaptStash....
Here is another take on it

1. No
2. Does not matter, see 1
3. Yes
4. Yes, many
Old 07-28-2015, 01:14 PM

I don't like tape. Glue. Mastik to be exact. The best!

With tape I always felt my tires moving in fast turns. Wasn't a good feel at all.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:44 PM

as others have said, sprinters are good for all around, no need to go with gaterskins. sprinters are not the most supple, but they are durable and hold air well. I would try to keep the psi on the low side, but test it out and see what works for you. I have them on 2 bikes.

do a search and vittoria corsas have gotten good reviews. I just mounted a pair three weeks ago and I like them fine.

I've used tape and glue. both will work. most times I use glue and its fine. if this is your first time, go for the full experience and use glue. contis mount tight (another reason to go with glue as tape will be another layer on the rim), so be sure to pull on the tire from the start when mounting. I like to use a toe strap to hold down one side and work from other side with both hands.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:56 PM

If you have never done this before, and if you don't have a set of old rims to pre stretch the tires.....I advise installing them on the rim a couple of times without glue or tape to get the hang of it, inflating them to stretch them a tad, and leave over night. When you got that figured out, then do it with some glue.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
If you have never done this before, and if you don't have a set of old rims to pre stretch the tires.....I advise installing them on the rim a couple of times without glue or tape to get the hang of it, inflating them to stretch them a tad, and leave over night. When you got that figured out, then do it with some glue.

Yep. What Ralph said. My first tubulars were Gatorskins. I chose them to decrease the likely hood of flats. I would return the sprinters and get what you thought you ordered. If you quickly flat one of those sprinters, you will be bummed. You should have a spare tire. Maybe keep the sprinters and order the Gatorskins. Glue. If you follow Continental's directions (I did), make each coat of glue VERY thin (I didn't).
Old 07-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Small ring

Conti Sprinters are my go to. I do have Sprinter Gatorskins on one rear here in MI, but the roads are really bad. Keep the Sprinters, they're plenty durable.

Use carbon glue on carbon rims, I think (no carbon here). I hate tape, you may like it. I carry a preglued spare and some Pitstop.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
I like to use a toe strap to hold down one side and work from other side with both hands.
Old school tip, right there, folks
Old 07-28-2015, 03:45 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I knew I could count on the group!

My plan: Keep the Sprinters.
Get a spare.
Glue - skip the tape.
Mount and inflate without glue to pre-stretch the tires.
Practice practice practice.
Mount for real - really thin layer of glue. Inflate to...100psi?
Go ride.

Thanks again.

CaptStash....