Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrooms View Post
The surprising thing is that anyone who rides a bike is surprised.
When I was the only person riding amongst the corn fields of northern Illinois 35 years ago I wouldn't have been surprised since stuff like this happened to me frequently. In 2015 I'm somewhat surprised.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:05 AM

I think I should really consider the camera as a permanent fixture on the bike.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:27 AM

It's going to be funny to non-cyclists until he does that to some nut who is packing. Why you'd choose to escalate a situation like this "pusher" does is pretty dang reckless. If the cyclist decided to defend himself with a knife or gun there would be a whole different tint on the situation.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
If the cyclist decided to defend himself with a knife or gun there would be a whole different tint on the situation.
yeah - the guy on the bike would be in jail and the headlines would read "Vigilante Cyclist Savagely Attacks Man For Harmless Prank"
Old 07-28-2015, 09:27 AM
#bottlestorage

I knew a guy who used to did this. He also was the same guy who took a girls purse at a party and ···· in it. He is also the same guy who picked a fight with the wrong person at a club one night, got his arse beat and a gun put to his head. He was a dick, so I enjoyed seeing him get his, but bad things happen when guns get drawn outside bars, so I ran like hell.

Not sure what become of him, but if he didn't change, he is likely dead or in jail.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:01 AM

I like to see them try knocking down this guy.. what do you do when you come upon a car blocking a bike lane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luNGjffDjCs
Old 07-28-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
It's going to be funny to non-cyclists until he does that to some nut who is packing. Why you'd choose to escalate a situation like this "pusher" does is pretty dang reckless. If the cyclist decided to defend himself with a knife or gun there would be a whole different tint on the situation.
I don't know how a cyclist is gonna be able to react quickly enough to get a gun or knife out in the time this happens. For sure, he might be able to get up, chase, and catch the guy at a light or something, but I doubt this is happening where there are a lot of stop lights. And the idea isn't to meet violence with more violence - it's to stop the FIRST idiot, not create a second one... IMHO anyway.

-Ray
Old 07-28-2015, 12:48 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
And the idea isn't to meet violence with more violence - it's to stop the FIRST idiot, not create a second one... IMHO anyway.
While I agree with this statement, there are those among us (in the greater sense) who only understand violence. Bullies don't stop until they get punched in the mouth. I know a guy who got hit in the back by a half-full beer can. At the next stop light the offender was dragged through the passenger side window and stomped in the gut. Maybe that wasn't the right thing to do, but I have a hard time faulting the man for doing it.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:20 PM

The idea isn't to use violence, but that would be in a perfect world.

I still find it mind boggling that people have this extreme hate for people on bikes. Is it some type of channeling anger fixation with a vulnerable object? My old mentor met me for lunch and he asked about my cycling life, he said "You're one of those people holding me up all the time, taking up the road!" I was like how much time are you going to lose by simply going around us. He didn't even refer to me like I was a human being. Weird. I would love for someone to conduct a study on why people hate cyclists on the road so much.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:20 PM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
While I agree with this statement, there are those among us (in the greater sense) who only understand violence. Bullies don't stop until they get punched in the mouth. I know a guy who got hit in the back by a half-full beer can. At the next stop light the offender was dragged through the passenger side window and stomped in the gut. Maybe that wasn't the right thing to do, but I have a hard time faulting the man for doing it.
I recently saw this video, of Buzz Aldrin punching a smarmy and rude guy in the face for calling him a coward and a liar. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wcrkxOgzhU

Buzz Aldrin is old school, from a time when you didn't run your mouth and treat people with utter disrespect lest you get your teeth shoved down your throat. Some might think Buzz was wrong, but I don't. If more people realized their behavior might result in an ass kicking or a punch to the nose, they might think twice about being jerks.

Bringing this back to the conversation at hand, civility is often maintained by the threat of violence. With kids being taught "its never ok to punch somebody", "fighting doesn't solve your problems"...well that just isn't true. Adults mind their Ps and Qs because they learned school yard lessons about actions and consequences. The internet emboldens people too, allows them to act in ways they never would in person.

Anyway, folks might disagree, and thats OK, but violence isn't the only tool, but it sure as hell is a tool.

Last edited by rugbysecondrow; 07-28-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:27 PM

We're ruling out the easy accessibility to firearms in today's times. I mean when I was a teenager, it was pretty easy to get a gun, but not super easy to get a registered one where people feel they can carry all the time. any Joe Blow can go into Turners and fill out a paper and swipe his/her visa for a .45 caliber hand cannon.

when I was really young, fighting was the way you solved problems with neighborhood kids, until guns got into the mix. A kid loses his teeth, he walks home and grabs his .380 and opens fire on you. LA life. You run up on some dweeb who cut you off, he/she may have a registered pistol in their car and they damn sure will use it and claim self defense even though they were being he aggressor.

Our parents grew up in an era where fire arms weren't easily accessible and everywhere in people's trunks. Fists were all that you had. You have to pick and choose your battles these days. Ask yourself is it worth spending the res of your life, or even a few years in prison for some ass hat who cut you off...
Old 07-28-2015, 01:28 PM

This happening is so upsetting. I have an extremely hard time not having my rage get triggered by this, but I'm not sure who I'm more angry with. The idiots of the world sucking up our resources without giving anything more than pain and anguish in return, or the "authorities" who have such a lackluster response you feel the need to check their pulse. Blood is spilling out there on the daily and not a damned thing is done about it.

Justice is blind alright...

www.deliberatelydomestic.com
Old 07-28-2015, 01:39 PM

I got the airhorn treatment on a ride yesterday and they got close to do it. Scared the the bejeebs out of me. This guy should have his hands put in revolving spokes.........
Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
We're ruling out the easy accessibility to firearms in today's times.
The issue is a good bit more complicated than that. Statistically gun violence is down substantially from where it peaked in the 70's and 80's. Furthermore, many of the places where guns are most easily obtained have lower violence than places like southern California and New York. There is enough variation in some of the big picture details that discredit the simplicity of the "accessible gun" argument. I find that it is less about the tools of violence and more about a culture of intolerance between everyone. There simply isn't enough live and let live.

It was asked above, why such hatred towards cyclists. I firmly believe it is due to a lack of social conformity. We live in a world that tries to push people into narrow little boxes. When people don't fit they become a pariah worthy of disdain and hatred from one or more "mainstream" groups. Cyclists are for all intents and purposes social pariahs on the roadways and therefore a target.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
It was asked above, why such hatred towards cyclists. I firmly believe it is due to a lack of social conformity. We live in a world that tries to push people into narrow little boxes. When people don't fit they become a pariah worthy of disdain and hatred from one or more "mainstream" groups. Cyclists are for all intents and purposes social pariahs on the roadways and therefore a target.
Agreed. We are the other, and therefore fair game to some idiots who I guess feel weak. Somehow doing this, blowing the air horn, or passing cyclists with a 1" margin (or worse) gives them a thrill and empowers them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Other