Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
One small aside to all of this.

I've heard that modern diets are extremely acidic. Some folks have even said that the reason we have so much heart burn and acid reflux medicine is because diets are extremely acidic.

One way of fixing that is to eat foods that become more basic in the body.

What I wonder about (in light of this baking soda discussion) is whether your diet (and your body's pH) can have an impact on your performance in this way.. can you eat foods to help buffer your system. Or, if your performance can suffer if you're eating too acidic of a diet...
I would think so. I eat lot of greens and things like lemon juice which help.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
well damn it all, now i know why i crave an occasional hay cube or apple after milkshaking.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:41 PM

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/alkaline-water-a-scam/

Check out effects on cholesterol too
Old 07-28-2015, 02:56 PM

Baking soda doping

It works when time to go AT. Mix w flavored creatine 1 hr before ride & 2-3 hrs after you eat. No big heavy meal, which you shouldn't be doin prior to super intensity. Experiment w amount & not before the big event. 1 teaspoon for me. Its food - real food if thats your thing. So the 'doping' things just a bit off, but whatever...
Old 07-28-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrooms View Post
It works when time to go AT. Mix w flavored creatine 1 hr before ride & 2-3 hrs after you eat. No big heavy meal, which you shouldn't be doin prior to super intensity. Experiment w amount & not before the big event. 1 teaspoon for me. Its food - real food if thats your thing. So the 'doping' things just a bit off, but whatever...
Both baking soda and EPO are ergogenic aids. One is one the doping list, the other isn't. Decide for yourself if you go with WADA's definition or the fact that both substances give you an advantage compared to nothing (or the rider not taking it).
Old 07-28-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Both baking soda and EPO are ergogenic aids. One is one the doping list, the other isn't. Decide for yourself if you go with WADA's definition or the fact that both substances give you an advantage compared to nothing (or the rider not taking it).
Yes protein and carbohydrates do too. Especially on a ride. Gels, cokes and the like should be banned too.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:44 PM

Baking soda doping

Quote:

Baking soda and EPO in same sentence? Much abused but appropriate...LOL.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
Yes protein and carbohydrates do too. Especially on a ride. Gels, cokes and the like should be banned too.
You're actually fortifying your pre race diet with baking soda? Really?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:32 PM

Baking soda doping

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post

Old hat such as yourself & never had a bit of Gatorade w a pinch of sodium bicarbonate?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrank View Post
Imagine the GREAT faces you could make, munching on Alka Seltzers. (*8{
When I read that, I thought you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrank View Post
Imagine the GREAT feces you could make, munching on Alka Seltzers. (*8{
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
well damn it all, now i know why i crave an occasional hay cube or apple after milkshaking.
My idea of milkshaking before a ride always involved Haagen-Dazs, Baskin-Robbins or Longfords. No wonder it never made me any faster.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
No actually I have only tried it on interval days and once on really hard hilly route. I have not raced in some years.

Baking soda just takes too much effort and I don稚 get paid. However if I did I might.

I love to experiment to see what I notice in terms of performance or longevity. Today I took a 25 minute sauna as it can increase HGH and thats good for both.

I also took a 10 minute cold shower. Also has some neat benefits.

Creatine has been in my rotation (on and off) since the late 1990痴. I started that since research was showing strength improvements. Now the list of benefits is very long.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:41 AM
50 bpm

I sort of kind of maybe wonder if van Garderen's Stage 17 "illness" wasn't the result of BSD.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
My point is that the forum jumps on the doing accusation band wagon when it's tdf time, but here we are using ergogenic aids to improve our performance. Baking soda is not part of a normal diet like carbohydrates and protein. It's used to improve performance and you don't need it as an essential part of your diet (such as proteins and carbohydrates and fats). Just because some guy in a white coat at Wada says that hgh is doping, but baking soda is not, then we are suddenly not dabbling in doping when it comes to throwing down a teaspoon/tablespoon of it to improve performance? It's a grey area. I can't care less if someone milkshakes themselves to Immodium heaven, but we need to see it for what it is.

Last edited by Joachim; 07-29-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
My point is that the forum jumps on the doing accusation band wagon when it's tdf time, but here we are using ergogenic aids to improve our performance. Baking soda is not part of a normal diet like carbohydrates and protein. It's used to improve performance and you don't need it as an essential part of your diet (such as proteins and carbohydrates and fats). Just because some guy in a white coat at Wada says that hgh is doping, but baking soda is not, then we are suddenly not dabbling in doping when it comes to throwing down a teaspoon/tablespoon of it to improve performance? It's a grey area. I can't care less if someone milkshakes themselves to Immodium heaven, but we need to see it for what it is.
I agree its a grey area. I also say most foods consumed on the bike are engineered foods. That is they are designed in such a way (for instance specific glucose to fructose ratios or like cyotomax with lactate ) to improve performance. I certainly place these in the same category.

Likewise that can of mexican Coke with its bolus of sugar and caffeine is not food and likely will give more of a performance boost mid ride than baking soda.

My guide, not being a racer, is does it have potential to make me a better athlete AND does it have potential to improve my health. If I check both boxes I try it. BTW mexicoke does not check those boxes and neither do gels etc.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:25 AM

Baking soda doping

Well better pass on the pre ride joe then.