Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2015, 11:40 AM

Is chamois cream that popular? Are there some who use it 'regularly'?

I have some DZnuts I purchased over 1.5 years ago. I only break it out for 4+ hour rides......should be obvious how many of those kind of rides i'm getting these days
Old 07-27-2015, 11:45 AM

Nubutte is very good, especially for long rides in hot weather.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Matt, if you really have too much time on your hands a potential next step (for the cheapskates on the forum) might be to add a second column with $ / kg
Old 07-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Matt, if you really have too much time on your hands a potential next step (for the cheapskates on the forum) might be to add a second column with $ / kg
That is not a bad idea. When I get some time, I'll do that.

If I had another easily measurable characteristic like quality, longevity, or something else, I could make a nice Price Benefit map.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Udderly Smooth.
Tried that. Very nice feel, but didn't last more than an hour.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:05 PM

I like Chamois Butt'r. Works effectively and lasts > 120miles per application. Washes out of your shorts in cold water without residue.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:33 PM

A friend of a friend crewed for a guy that finished raam last year, Keith Wolcott. I asked if they knew what chamois cream he used and they said buttonhole.
It's available on amazon. I've not tried it yet.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:44 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Tried that. Very nice feel, but didn't last more than an hour.
I think this falls into the YMMV category.

I have no problems with Udderly Smooth for around 2.5 hrs or less. Above that I use Chamois Butt'r.

I used to use Assos, but have since discovered that there are plenty of alternatives that work just as well and cost a lot less, and I'd feel like an idiot if I continued to use something just for high-zoot the brand name.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:13 PM

Dig this stuff:
http://www.secret-training.cc/anti-chafing-cream/

Nice scent like Rapha, works like Assos. It's the Not Poor But Not Wasteful Man's chamois cream. It's been a lifesaver for some product testing I've been doing on different width/density inserts.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

So Matt, that's a super-long list.

What does it mean when there are so many different outfits putting out generally similar products in a niche market where the total $ / year spent can't be that much?

My guesses would be:

1) No significant economies of scale.
2) Few barriers to entry.
3) Difficult for consumers to identify if one product really is better than any of the other options.

Anything else?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:55 PM
Classics Fan

I'm not sure. Rapha sells $30M a year. It seems that there are lots of small outfits in this niche space servicing cyclists with a higher willingness to pay. I'm not sure if you're going to become a millionaire selling chamois cream, but I bet you could do alright.

If anything, information is MORE available than it used to be. Back 15 years ago, I'd guess there were maybe 4 or 5 chamois cream manufacturers. Now, with the advent of direct to consumer selling via the web, companies operate with higher margins than a wholesale model. Also, information used to be passed down through cycling clubs, rider to rider. Especially about things related to taints. I don't think that kind of thing got a lot of column inches in the trade publications.

The rise of forums like this one, and user reviews have democratized the chamois cream segment to a great extent. Think of the reach that any of us have on this forum. We post something, and probably 100-200 people read it. How many rides would you have to go on with riding buddies to tell the same number of people about a new chamois cream.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:11 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

So how do we explain at least 36 different companies offering chamois cream?

That seems like a lot to me - there must be some good reasons. Why hasn't someone invented a better mousetrap and taken over, say, 25% of the market? (I have no idea what the market share is for the various companies, but I can't imagine if any one company has more than 10%, except maybe Assos.)

These are rhetorical questions, and I don't really expect definitive answers...
Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 AM
Classics Fan

There is probably a bit of "Hey, this doesn't look so hard, I bet I could do it!" mentality that has led to many companies springing up.

I have no idea what the gross margins are, but I imagine they are pretty high, which probably attracts people, especially to the 'premium priced' end of the market.

There is a proliferation of firms in industries like craft beers, custom frame builders, cosmetic and skin care products and many more. I think this has to do with a general desire for people to feel more of an authentic connection to who is making the products they buy, combined with the democratization of the means of production and access to supply chain capabilities.

Maybe 2016 will the year of the great chamois cream consolidation. More likely than not, a lot of these companies are lifestyle/hobby companies supporting 1-5 employees. I bet a handful account for the bulk of the market's volume.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
To address the hate, I just got my Dr. Naylor's last week.

While it does smell...different at first, it works very well.

Thanks OP.
Agree..have used it for 19 years(first in shop I was in 1996, Moots guys mentioned it)...medicated, great for chaffing during and after the ride. Good for beat up hands. Cheap..can buy 4 tins for the $ on one Assos.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:25 AM

Chamois Cream - Official List

I make mine. I use equal parts Lantiseptic (skin barrier) and shea butter (wife works in the cosmetics industry). Add a small capful of Tea Tree oil and mix until homogeneous. Apply liberally while trying not to smile.

I tried straight Lantiseptic, but it doesn't spread well.