Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2015, 02:35 PM

Just finished it this morning. Awesome movie. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:04 PM

I watched it this weekend with my wife. We really enjoyed it. I still have a pink Mercatone Uno jersey, and I came close to buying a Bianchi Reparto Corse back then. I am a fan, and I am not ignorant of the transgressions of the era. There is tragedy enough to go around. I love cycling. I don't love the "sport," but I love the embodiment of sacrifice, daring and determination that is shown by many riders. Thanks, Marco, for that.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Proud Grandpa

Just watched it

Liked it, sad, the pressure to bounce an Italian from the Giro on next to last day. Some very 'powerful' people involved on both sides.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:00 PM
not banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Liked it, sad, the pressure to bounce an Italian from the Giro on next to last day. Some very 'powerful' people involved on both sides.
That was really the only thing I learned watching it, never paid that close attention back in the day. Really did feel bad for the guy - he doped for sure, but damn, when he climbed standing on the peddles for what seemed like forever it always seemed crazy.

Armstrong on the race radio was totally nuts, too. I knew for certain in 2000 something wasn't right there.

Elder Spud - did you see some of the pics of Big Mig in the flick? Only time in my life I ever thought "wow, I guess I miss Big Mig" - he looked so fluid and the quill stem and his position was just spot on. I guess I couldn't stand him back then cause his tactics to win were such a bore.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:00 PM

Pantani, Pantani on NETFLIX!!!!!!

I miss Big Mig, as well. The son of a farmer, right? I liked his tactics. Don't let anyone drop you in the mountains, then blow them away in the TT. They knew it was coming and yet, they could not stop him. My GF is from Spain and I told her on our third date that I loved Big Mig. She hasn't stopped kissing me since. Now, has his name ever been listed on any of the lists from the Italian and/or Spanish doctors? Please tell, I can take it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpoole8537 View Post
I miss Big Mig, as well. The son of a farmer, right? I liked his tactics. Don't let anyone drop you in the mountains, then blow them away in the TT. They knew it was coming and yet, they could not stop him. My GF is from Spain and I told her on our third date that I loved Big Mig. She hasn't stopped kissing me since. Now, has his name ever been listed on any of the lists from the Italian and/or Spanish doctors? Please tell, I can take it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Really? I was sure he was doped to the gills when someone his size kept up with the tiny climbers in the mountains. Before that, he was just a domestique for Delgado. Fluid rider, to be sure, but one of the most boring winners to watch that I can remember. Rail the TTs and just hang on the other stages, yawn.

Tim
Old 07-06-2015, 06:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
That was really the only thing I learned watching it, never paid that close attention back in the day. Really did feel bad for the guy - he doped for sure, but damn, when he climbed standing on the peddles for what seemed like forever it always seemed crazy.

Armstrong on the race radio was totally nuts, too. I knew for certain in 2000 something wasn't right there.

Elder Spud - did you see some of the pics of Big Mig in the flick? Only time in my life I ever thought "wow, I guess I miss Big Mig" - he looked so fluid and the quill stem and his position was just spot on. I guess I couldn't stand him back then cause his tactics to win were such a bore.
And he looked like such a big guy..met him when he traveled to Boulder, when Hampsten was with Banesto, actually not that big,not that tall, barrel chest, 3 lungs? Looking back, sad times, easy to get angry too.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:20 AM

I enjoyed the Pantani movie, wish there'd been more to see about his racing days and leading up to his death. Like Lance (or do they call him Voldemort now?) he displayed insane ability on the bike as a kid.

I'vs also watched both Lance downfall movies (Armstrong Lie, Stop At Nothing) and now understand what an @$$ Lance was to pretty much everyone.

I'm not a fan of any drugs or doping, but I'm realistic enough to understand that these guys had unreal genetics and insane courage to ride the races they did for years. It's too bad the drugs overshadow so much of their accomplishments.

On another note, from a technical perspective, watching these guys on steel bikes with 32 spoke tubular wheels and downtube shifters, bombing down steep mountain passes, really makes you think about how 'necessary' a 14 lbs carbon frame and wheels are these days...
Old 07-28-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
And he looked like such a big guy..met him when he traveled to Boulder, when Hampsten was with Banesto, actually not that big,not that tall, barrel chest, 3 lungs? Looking back, sad times, easy to get angry too.
Indurain is 6' 2".

Jeff