Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Vendors

Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM

sizing

Kirk:

How can one find out whether 650b rims would work on a particular frame? It is a vintage, high end handmade steel frame. I use a Fox F80 that I tuned down to 70mm travel in order to match the geometry of this frame.

I am curious about 650b.

PS love your frames too. I wish I had the money to take action...
Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Kirk:

How can one find out whether 650b rims would work on a particular frame? It is a vintage, high end handmade steel frame. I use a Fox F80 that I tuned down to 70mm travel in order to match the geometry of this frame.

I am curious about 650b.

PS love your frames too. I wish I had the money to take action...
Douglas,

It's good to B curious!

email me at kirk@pacenticycledesign.com and we can discuss your frame in greater detail.

Cheers,
KP
Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Princess Sweat

Hey Kirk,

I seem to remember bikelugs.com offering more lugs in the past. Am I misremembering? Are you getting out of the lug biz?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 AM

Kirk, I am interested in a set of your sl23 rims for a beast set of cross wheels. Two questions:

1) when will you have the 32h sl23 rims back in stock?
2) do you have any dealings with Austin (TX) wheel builders who could put them together for me? If not, that's fine, but I thought I'd ask.

I'm about 185lbs and last year rode a set of 32h Mavic Classics laced to classic CK hubs. They were nice and sturdy, but they have a ceramic coating on the break track which is not a benefit in Austin cross (it doesn't rain here anymore). Also, I like that your rims are wide and tubeless friendly, since the Classics I currently have are neither of those things.

Thanks!

Charlie
Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
Hey Kirk,

I seem to remember bikelugs.com offering more lugs in the past. Am I misremembering? Are you getting out of the lug biz?
Remember reading this awhile back..as well as forum post here.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/10/26/...omponent-line/
Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crupshaw View Post
Kirk, I am interested in a set of your sl23 rims for a beast set of cross wheels. Two questions:

1) when will you have the 32h sl23 rims back in stock?
2) do you have any dealings with Austin (TX) wheel builders who could put them together for me? If not, that's fine, but I thought I'd ask.

I'm about 185lbs and last year rode a set of 32h Mavic Classics laced to classic CK hubs. They were nice and sturdy, but they have a ceramic coating on the break track which is not a benefit in Austin cross (it doesn't rain here anymore). Also, I like that your rims are wide and tubeless friendly, since the Classics I currently have are neither of those things.

Thanks!

Charlie
Charlie,

The 20, 24 and 32 hole rims will all be back in stock in late May.

Nobody comes to mind in Austin, but I know Joe Young is only about 3 hrs away.

Ergott or Fairwheel *may* have some 32* SL23 rims in stock, but I am not sure. They both build great wheels!

Cheers,
KP
Old 04-26-2013, 11:56 AM

Thanks Kirk! I will check around, and late May is not too far away anyway; I am not in a hurry.

And a fellow Forum-ite pointed me to RT WheelCraft in scenic/nearby Fredericksburg, so I will check with them as well.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:52 PM

Hey Kirk,

A few questions about the SL23's. So far, I love them. Still running 23mm PR3's, until they wear out. Dropped the pressure, and they feel great!

I'm confused by road and cross rims' use of the term, "tubeless compatible". How does this compare to a UST rim? Different bead hook? Different "shelf"? What I'm specifically interested in is how they match up with CX/gravel tires. So few of them are "tubeless ready", and none of them have a UST bead hook. Do you see the industry (hopefully) trending towards more tubeless style bead's on the tires, without the stiff UST casing? Seems like you could get a better seal that way, as long as the rim and tire match up well. Stan's seems to get this, but their rims don't play well with some tire brands. Or, is it not really necessary - just plug in your normal clinchers and go?

Also, is there any plan for a tubular version of the SL23's? As I understand it, the width would be less than ideal for road tires, but it could be perfect for larger footprints - CX - and easy to swap wheels with training clinchers. Much like the A23 / Major Tom rim combo.

And finally, are the SL23's good to go with disc setups? Any plans for a non-machined sidewall? Or all silver?

Thanks for a great rim, and any other advice or info you can provide!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonic View Post
Hey Kirk,

A few questions about the SL23's. So far, I love them. Still running 23mm PR3's, until they wear out. Dropped the pressure, and they feel great!

I'm confused by road and cross rims' use of the term, "tubeless compatible". How does this compare to a UST rim? Different bead hook? Different "shelf"? What I'm specifically interested in is how they match up with CX/gravel tires. So few of them are "tubeless ready", and none of them have a UST bead hook. Do you see the industry (hopefully) trending towards more tubeless style bead's on the tires, without the stiff UST casing? Seems like you could get a better seal that way, as long as the rim and tire match up well. Stan's seems to get this, but their rims don't play well with some tire brands. Or, is it not really necessary - just plug in your normal clinchers and go?

Also, is there any plan for a tubular version of the SL23's? As I understand it, the width would be less than ideal for road tires, but it could be perfect for larger footprints - CX - and easy to swap wheels with training clinchers. Much like the A23 / Major Tom rim combo.

And finally, are the SL23's good to go with disc setups? Any plans for a non-machined sidewall? Or all silver?

Thanks for a great rim, and any other advice or info you can provide!
O,

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad to hear that the rims are working well for you.

"Tubeless Compatible" simply means that a rim was designed to work (or can be made to work) tubeless with the use of specific rim tapes and tire sealants. The road market is in some flux over what "road tubeless" will end up being. Imo, this really needs to be sorted out by tire manufacturers, at which time the rim makers can easily manufacture rims to the appropriate spec.

We have no immediate plans for a tubular version of the SL23. Although we have received a few requests for it, I am dubious of the real world demand for a alloy tubular rim. I am open to input on this, but I wont promise anything.

There is no problem using the SL23 with disc breaks, as long as you use a 28 or 32 hole rim with a 3x lacing pattern.

There are no plans for a non-machined sidewall. Are you really asking for a disc specific version? We may do that soon enough...

We could do silver if the demand justified it. Personally I would prefer something closer to titanium or pewter rather than a high-polished silver.

Cheers,
KP
Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
O,

...Imo, this really needs to be sorted out by tire manufacturers, at which time the rim makers can easily manufacture rims to the appropriate spec...

...I am dubious of the real world demand for a alloy tubular rim. I am open to input on this, but I wont promise anything...

...Are you really asking for a disc specific version?...

...Personally I would prefer something closer to titanium or pewter rather than a high-polished silver...

Cheers,
KP
1. I agree, tire manufacturers should come up with a strong, unversal bead profile and agree on it.
2. You're probably right, especially with disc brakes coming along for cross and road, carbon rims now have (in my opinion) much more viability from a braking and wear standpoint, so that will most likely be where the tubular market goes.
3. Yes, exactly. If you're making a disc version, then no need for a non-machined sidewall.
4. Agree 100%. Not a huge fan of polished, but a nice titanium look or dark gray finish would be pretty slick.

I really feel like you hit the mark for depth, profile, stiffness, and weight with these rims. Can't wait to see what's next!

Adam
Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
Hey Kirk,

We have some more stuff in the works...

I'll be landing these very soon and taking pre-orders for them now. $59.00 per set.

These are bulge formed, standard sized lugs, by Nikko. They really are pretty nice and in the hands of a skilled builder can produce a very elegant frame.

They've begun to offer OS lugs as well, but only in 'blank' sets at this time. I am not sure I'll import them, but if they offer a shaped OS set, we'll be all over it.

Cheers,
KP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NIKKO LUGS_SMALL.jpg (125.6 KB, 428 views)
Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 AM

SL23 back in stock

We just landed a few thousand SL23 rims... we should have them back on the site by the end of the day.

Cheers,

KP

Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 05-10-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
We just landed a few thousand SL23 rims... we should have them back on the site by the end of the day.

Cheers,

KP
Excellent rims. If you're thinking about building up wheels with a wider profile give the SL23s solid consideration (aka: use 'em)
Old 05-09-2013, 08:34 PM
ergottWheels

Awesome. I have to replenish some drillings.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 AM

A new site in the works...

http://pacenticycledesign.com/

Cheers,
KP

Tags
campagnolo, pacenti, record, review, sl23