Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2015, 03:23 PM

ot: Lodging in/around Mt. Hood National Forest?

Since everyone here is extremely great with help & recommendations I wanted to see if anyone has any good recs for lodging in/around Mt. Hood National Forest?

In mid-May the plan is a weekend jaunt in Portland but then we wanted to hit the road & see some nature.

Mt. Hood National Forest totally fits the bill but I'm just unsure about where to stay. I don't think we'll be doing camping but a simple cabin or yurt would be sweet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!
Old 01-26-2015, 05:48 PM
Descent fitness

If you want to pull out all the stops, stay at the Timberline Lodge. One of the grand lodges in the western US.
http://www.timberlinelodge.com
Old 01-26-2015, 07:03 PM

Government Camp is down the hill from timberline lodge and very affordable. I believe there's a bus that takes you up to the lodge where you should definitely eat breakfast. The PCT runs along the back side of the lodge and within 5 miles you're into the good stuff.

Be ready for weather. It'll probably still be snowing up there in May.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:13 PM

Ray, I have this cabin just outside Welches, OR and about 1 mile from the Mt Hood National Forest. If interested LMK with direct message or email me: rhea dot kevin at gmail dot com. It's great to ride from, hike from, relax etc. 50-60minutes from Portland and about 5 miles down the mountain from Government Camp.

[IMG]DSCF9383 by KRhea FrzFrmFoto, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 01-26-2015, 07:15 PM

^thats awesome! I would stay there.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:53 PM

WOW- What a hide-away in the woods! How often do you get to use it?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:39 PM
The B!

Timberline Lodge is usually booked solid through spring season by the beginning of the year... if you wanted to go that route, I'd call now (and not expect much). May is peak season up there, afterall. It's a super cool place, but the food is notoriously terrible- I've had more than a few meals there, usually out of desperation (what choice do you have at 10 at night on a mountain?), and they've all been wilted/rubbery/flavorless/luke warm microwave TV dinner quality. So bring food or make alternate plans. But the place is otherwise rad.

As noted, there are plenty of cool places to stay in Government Camp, but same story- that time of year, everything is booked up pretty quick. Make reservations now!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:40 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhea View Post
Ray, I have this cabin just outside Welches, OR and about 1 mile from the Mt Hood National Forest. If interested LMK with direct message or email me: rhea dot kevin at gmail dot com. It's great to ride from, hike from, relax etc. 50-60minutes from Portland and about 5 miles down the mountain from Government Camp.

[IMG]DSCF9383 by KRhea FrzFrmFoto, on Flickr[/IMG]
Dude... let's be friends
Old 01-26-2015, 08:51 PM

So beautiful! I might just have to send you a PM.

Timberline Lodge appeared to be out of my range but I also believe it was booked up.

Anyone have experience with Lost Lake Resort?

http://lostlakeresort.org/
Old 01-26-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
WOW- What a hide-away in the woods! How often do you get to use it?
Not enough Ken, that's for sure but when we're there it's pretty amazing. The back deck is built over a tumbling stream that makes it the absolute best napping location ever!

Lost Lake is a gem...however, it's known around the world and can be hard to get reserves. That area of the forest is really special and the obligatory Mt Hood view never gets old.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:17 PM

We have rented a neat house on the north shore of Lake Tahoe from a couple who make pretty good $$ when they aren't using it themselves but they get skiers AND summer visitors.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 PM
Member?

Never stayed there, but Cooper Spur is not far from Lost Lake. http://www.cooperspur.com/lodges.htm

There are probably a few bed and breakfast places in the area.

The town of Hood River is not far either. Plenty of lodging there.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunner View Post
So beautiful! I might just have to send you a PM.

Timberline Lodge appeared to be out of my range but I also believe it was booked up.

Anyone have experience with Lost Lake Resort?

http://lostlakeresort.org/
Camped there years ago on a memorable trip with my wife. Obviously no comment on the Lodge (not even sure it was there in its current iteration), but it was really beautiful. And, Hood River is close by for a visit.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
Timberline Lodge is usually booked solid through spring season by the beginning of the year... if you wanted to go that route, I'd call now (and not expect much). May is peak season up there, afterall. It's a super cool place, but the food is notoriously terrible- I've had more than a few meals there, usually out of desperation (what choice do you have at 10 at night on a mountain?), and they've all been wilted/rubbery/flavorless/luke warm microwave TV dinner quality. So bring food or make alternate plans. But the place is otherwise rad.

As noted, there are plenty of cool places to stay in Government Camp, but same story- that time of year, everything is booked up pretty quick. Make reservations now!
The Lodge is expensive and usually booked up, it's also noisy from the old steam heating system, especially in the winter.
I've found the food at the restaurant to be excellent though also high priced. The bar food and cafeteria in the day lodge is pretty average.Do at least go up to the origanal lodge and check it out. An old WPA project that went up in under two years. Amazing artisans. There are a number of old black and white photos on the walls. My father-in-law took a few of them. Go to the bar upstairs, get a drink and take in the view of the mountain. It's spectacular.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:16 PM

4 or 5 decades ago my grandparents had a cabin like that, sun room on the back was just above Zig Zag creek as i recall. I'd love to find it somehow, just to see it.