Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2015, 11:44 AM

Bearing Question

I picked up a used set of Fulcrum zero wheels and the bearings feel less than smooth. I haven't had time this weekend to open them up to investigate, but it feels like scored races on typical wheels I have seen over the years.

Are the bearings themselves the likely culprit, or the races? I've heard from some industry people that the ceramic bearings themselves seldom wear out, but rather the races go first as they are generally a softer material than the balls themselves. Anyone seen any truth to this?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:10 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I picked up a used set of Fulcrum zero wheels and the bearings feel less than smooth. I haven't had time this weekend to open them up to investigate, but it feels like scored races on typical wheels I have seen over the years.

Are the bearings themselves the likely culprit, or the races? I've heard from some industry people that the ceramic bearings themselves seldom wear out, but rather the races go first as they are generally a softer material than the balls themselves. Anyone seen any truth to this?
The cups and cones from Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheels are hardened for ceramic balls but still balls are harder than the steel parts. Hard to say w/o opening them up and take a look. They might just be dirty.