Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Pack fill

Good use for a fat tire bike ??

There are railroad tracks that run parallel to the road I take to work every day. The road itself has heavy traffic and many intersections, not a road I like to ride on. The tracks have plenty of room on both sides but have large stones from edge top edge. They are about the size of a standard brick broken in half. I tried riding to work on a front suspension MTB and it was not a pleasant experience. So would a fat tire bike with the right air pressure "float" over the stones enough to make it a worth while investment? The distance is about 7 miles each way and about 1/2 mile from the house
Old 01-26-2015, 10:31 AM

Unfortunately, no. If anything, it'll be worse on the fat bike. The tires deform to absorb bumps, but not nearly as much as a suspended bike.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:13 AM

It would certainly be fun to try!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:32 AM
n - 1

If this is an excuse to get a fat bike.... yes, it would glide over them like there was nothing there.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:14 PM
foo

At the minimum, it'll be fun for a few trips.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:19 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Old 01-26-2015, 02:29 PM

why not??

Would be nice to try before you buy...
Although 7 miles might seem extreme
It sounds like fun to me!
...but so does a mudfest fire tire race
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.2 KB, 172 views)
Old 01-26-2015, 02:33 PM

It may not be an issue for you, but on the west coast the railroad companies seem to frown on other users getting on the track or even the property alongside the tracks. I can think of multiple instances where the railroads have gone after folks walking/riding on their property as well as a big dust up in Vancouver BC where the railroad is reclaiming their property along the tracks that folks had allowed their yards to take over.

As a fisherman it's a bit of a bummer to learn that you're not supposed to use the tracks to get to the honey hole.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds108 View Post
It may not be an issue for you, but on the west coast the railroad companies seem to frown on other users getting on the track or even the property alongside the tracks. I can think of multiple instances where the railroads have gone after folks walking/riding on their property as well as a big dust up in Vancouver BC where the railroad is reclaiming their property along the tracks that folks had allowed their yards to take over.

As a fisherman it's a bit of a bummer to learn that you're not supposed to use the tracks to get to the honey hole.
Trespassing on railroad tracks is a crime. Additionally, having worked for a Tier 1 RR, I saw the regular reports of fatalities. I would not want to be in those locomotive driver's shoes to see those deaths first hand.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:15 PM
coffee consumer

Never ridden a fatbike but have ridden some pretty heavy duty mountain bikes. Maybe a Thudbuster seat might help smooth it out a bit? I'd think the first couple of weeks would be the roughest, but your body would adjust. After two months of riding 14 miles/day on a fat bike across heavy gravel, you will have grown some serious quads!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:37 PM

Do you know someone with a dirtbike and a bit of lawless streak? You could have them burn you in a trail pretty quickly!
Of course if you really want to throw some money at it, they're making fully suspended fat bikes now.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:11 AM

I worked on the railroad, maintenance of way, tie gang. Railroad right of ways are hazardous.

Speaking of investment, great price for any entry level fat bike http://www.target.com/p/mongoose-men...f0exoCRjTw_wcB Be aware the Dolo's bearings will require service.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Post Mod-ern

What others said!

Every year in this area it seems we regularly have somebody walking or snowmobiling on the tracks and getting nuked because they didn't hear the train behind them because of earbuds, drunkenness, or snowmobile engine noise.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 01-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Pack fill

My intention is to off on the side where I would not be on any part of the RR bed where the tracks are. The consensus seems to be that even big fat soft tires would still transmit lots of hits. Oh well maybe the next idea will be better
Old 01-27-2015, 12:55 PM

Depends on a lot of things, tire size and pressure being the big ones. I run 4.7" tires and there's a big difference between 6psi and 10psi. It would really take some experimenting to get a good balance between the rough areas and the smooth areas. As for riding off the beaten path and cruising over things most bikes can't fathom...a fat bike is perfect. I've ridden on (unused/retired) train tracks before, and it wasn't that miserable. Granted I only did a mile or so, I don't think I'd want to do more than that very often.