Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogulja View Post
Trying to understand from collective here what is the problem with SRAM??

I raced 2 seasons of CX races on SRAM components and havent had a single failure. I know many SRAM guys (people who work for SRAM) and guys who race their stuff.

Personally, I rode my CX bike all summer long on road tires and put over 70000k on it during the summer. Everything works like it should.

Had Shimano ultegra and Campy Record before that.

What are your experiences?
I was once on a Thursday night group ride where three right Force shifters all failed for their respective riders. I lent a hand at a buddy's shop and saw enough blown apart SRAM stuff that wasn't that old.

Its lightweight, sure, but doesn't last in my experience.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:16 PM

Wow - good to hear, guess I was lucky.

So where does the problem stem from? Is it engineering or quality control?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

Rather walk.
Good thing, because with Sram, you likely will be. ;-)
Old 01-26-2015, 02:24 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Engineering/design, the desire to be lightest, the desire to be first, oftimes un monitored manufacturers not local(as in Asia-no this isn't a shot at Asian quality). When sram came out with 10s MTB stuff, shimano nodded, and then designed a much nicer, much more sophisticated 10s MTB lineup. Place 10s MTB any part next to each other and the shimano stuff exudes quality in design and manufacturing. sram stuff does not. Same for the road stuff, only more so.

Arrogance to boot, from some of the spam big boys, as if their ___ doesn't stink.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Good one, right above.

oppps dupe, sorry-
Old 01-26-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Engineering/design, the desire to be lightest, the desire to be first, oftimes un monitored manufacturers not local(as in Asia-no this isn't a shot at Asian quality). When sram came out with 10s MTB stuff, shimano nodded, and then designed a much nicer, much more sophisticated 10s MTB lineup. Place 10s MTB any part next to each other and the shimano stuff exudes quality in design and manufacturing. sram stuff does not. Same for the road stuff, only more so.

Arrogance to boot, from some of the spam big boys, as if their ___ doesn't stink.
point taken
Old 01-26-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:

I've always had the sense they're not afraid to let their customers be their beta testers.

Not that Shimano and Campy haven't had their mis-steps in their own time. But SRAM stuff seems to break, a lot.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Trying to understand from collective here what is the problem with SRAM??

I raced 2 seasons of CX races on SRAM components and havent had a single failure. I know many SRAM guys (people who work for SRAM) and guys who race their stuff.

Personally, I rode my CX bike all summer long on road tires and put over 70000k on it during the summer. Everything works like it should.

Had Shimano ultegra and Campy Record before that.

What are your experiences?
Did you ever sleep?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Randomhead

I guess the SRAM stuff just fails quicker than the Shimano STi, because I know people that warrantied their Shimano levers a couple of times and then were told they were out of luck. Maybe electronic shifting will save SRAM from their underweight shifters
Old 01-26-2015, 03:11 PM
The B!

Retro-grouching aside, I think SRAMs market is totally different than Campagnolo's. SRAM for light weight, campy for style or tradition. Or some variation like that.

This isn't unusual in the material world- there are plenty of manufactures in lots of industries that produce the lightest product possible, at a known durability disadvantage. Alpine climbing equipment comes to mind first- yea, you can buy a tent or jacket that will last years of abuse, or you can pay twice as much for something that'll last half the time or less (maybe even one climb) but weighs next to nothing

Last edited by Dead Man; 01-26-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
Did you ever sleep?
ooooops....7000km

After years of only Campagnolo I was given a bike to ride at a New England dirt road ride. Not D2R2. Anyway, I wanted to not like it. But it was terrific. It took all of about 2 miles to get used to it.

I now own 2 bikes with Dura Ace 9000 components and I think they're great.

It's OK to have change in your life.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:28 PM

Shimophobia...I got it.

I confronted this fear head on with my first touring build. I wanted something inexpensive, but fairly reliable; something I could possibly kinda trash and not feel guilty. So I went with Ultegra. Working out pretty well, so I restored an old Serotta frame with 6400. Also pretty cool. But nothing more than a passing fancy. I'll keep it Italian when I'm building something permanent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2015, 11:06 PM
The B!

I am this way with Dodge.... It doesn't seem to matter how far removed they are from the crappy cars they put out when I was a kid- I will never own or drive a Dodge.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:37 AM

The difference is that Shimano has rarely marketed junk among their mainstream products.

For at least 30 years now Shimano has been producing high quality that are still in use today.

I only say 30 years because it was really pretty rare stuff before that but it was still high quality.

My mother has a town bike that she got about 20 years ago. A friend of mine had a shop then and I decided that it would be a good idea to take the bike and do a complete overhaul of the whole thing before she got many miles on it. That included shortening the cables to the right length, lubing the cables, repacking the hubs (which probably aren't Shimano, but I don't know. Anyway, they're smooth as silk today), etc.

She really doesn't ride anymore because of where she lives but every once in a while I get on the bike and pump up the tires. It's perfect. All gear shifts are indexed perfectly and the brakes are still fine. She rode it a lot the first 15 years she had it, so it's not like it's just been sitting.

I'm agnostic now on the topic of groupsets..... I used to be a diehard Campagnolo guy. No more. They're all good when set up properly, maintained properly and used properly. I'm not a fan of the Sram logos and graphics but even that stuff is probably pretty good when installed and used properly.