Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
Blasio hinted to stay out of the NYC Parks because the heavy snow could cause a tree branch to fall on you. If they don't close Central Park I will go over there tonight with the dog. Central Park after it snows is beautiful, serene and deserted. Well...deserted relative to what is possible for Central Park.
I'm thinking about taking my dog over as well. He loves the snow. If fuzzalow or I don't post for a few days, we must be trapped under a branch for ignoring DeBlasio's warnings.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:28 PM
needs adult supervision

Running in Central Park early in the morning after a big snow is one of NYC's secret pleasures. When I lived there, I would run at 5am and many times my footprints were the only ones in the snow. Like having the city to yourself. Silent and magical.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:35 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
I'm thinking about taking my dog over as well. He loves the snow. If fuzzalow or I don't post for a few days, we must be trapped under a branch for ignoring DeBlasio's warnings.
Roger that. We'll come looking for what's left of you. Be sure to let go of the leash as you're being crushed, so Lassie can go home.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
all non essential employees are to work from home .
Umm. Heh, heh, ummm, chuckle, chuckle, chortle,....if they're non-essential.., why are they there in the first place? Ummmm, Duh, hee, hee!

I've heard this forever, being the subject of gubbmint shutdowns!
Old 01-26-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Roger that. We'll come looking for what's left of you. Be sure to let go of the leash as you're being crushed, so Lassie can go home.

chances are we'll get there too late and the NYPD will have ticketed your remains for causing an obstruction, but we'll try.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:49 PM

This snowstorm is actually quite scary. Initial reports are saying that this could be the worst blizzard in recorded history for the Northeast, and the so-far worst ever recorded snowstorm in that area resulted in over hundred deaths.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
Blasio hinted to stay out of the NYC Parks because the heavy snow could cause a tree branch to fall on you.
they cancel classes at Penn State main campus during ice storms because more than one student has been killed by falling branches. The Elm trees are nice, but they probably should have given up on them when everyone else did, we could have had some pretty nice substitutes by now
Old 01-26-2015, 06:06 PM

I just found out my nephew, who is in the landscaping biz, just bought an $800 snow blower to service his accounts...I hope he remembers who gave him a mountain bike last summer
Old 01-26-2015, 06:15 PM

Easiest commute home I've ever had- seems like everyone bailed early. 93, 495, 3, piece of cake.

Currently cooking dinner outside on the grill.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
they cancel classes at Penn State main campus during ice storms because more than one student has been killed by falling branches. The Elm trees are nice, but they probably should have given up on them when everyone else did, we could have had some pretty nice substitutes by now
Reminds me of a guy from highschool. He was an adrenaline junkie - rock climber, snow boarder...you name it. In high school he was famous for jumping out of a third story window at a party that was being busted and breaking his leg.

He grew up to become a park ranger. He was in the news once for fighting off an attack by two bears. He fought fires from helicopters, rescued skiers...etc.

Anyway - one day he comes to work at the office, ice slides off of the roof and onto his head and kills him. So anti-climatic. We all knew he'd die early, but we thought it would be in a revolution, or being attacked by polar bears riding killer whales.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:10 PM

Pretty mild at 9pm

lets hope it stays like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08765.jpg (71.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08766.jpg (72.9 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08764.jpg (52.6 KB, 193 views)
Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 PM

Hurry guys. Turn on CNN. Anderson Cooper's crew getting snowed in.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:12 PM
It An't Me Babe

The Mayor wasn't making idle chatter when he warned about not going into NYC parks during the snow storm. One of the perks of being mayor is what is said is tantamount to an order so Central Park is indeed closed. As seen at the Fifth Avenue and 72nd Street entrance to the Park.

These barricades do all multitude of function:
  • denotes the Park is closed in no uncertain terms
  • identifying by presence all those that enter as illegal and eligible to fine and prosecution
  • indemnifies the City of New York for any legal claims should injury or death occur by falling tree branches within the confines of the Park
A true, multi-function device topped only by the swiss army knife or by sliced bread.

There's not that much snow on the ground, the snow in the picture is the depth by way of pushover from the snowplows running down Fifth. Let's keep our fingers crossed this blizzard becomes a non-event.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:19 PM
'97 Ti Legend

So far, so good. Power's still on, but it's really coming down. I'll post a pick in the morning if I can.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:27 PM
You still here?

My son reports that Columbia U in NYC is closed for snow. So I guess he gets a couple of days off.