Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2015, 09:41 AM

OT sort of: How its made

I binge watch TV sometimes and always enjoy how its made.

This morning had two interesting segments.

Brompton folding bikes. I found the factory jig and brass brazing of the joints interesting. The miters are not quite as exact as custom builders. But they are not using thin steel and they lay down a lot of brass. Manufactured in England. Really thought these would be made in the far east.

New Balance - I was surprised that some of their sneakers are still made in the US. Might be enough for me to purchase a pair when I wear down my current pair of Nikes.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:12 AM

The British mag A to B (June, 2011) did a fascinating piece on the Brompton factory. Curious mix of old and new technology.

New: Magnetic eddy detector for the main folding hinge. A reference hinge is used as the target, and the magnetic signature of a new hinge is compared. Any imperfections in the new hinge, and it is rejected. They don't fool around with that hinge.

Old: Victorian punch presses still being used, purchased cheaply when Brompton designer Andrew Ritchie started the factory in the 80's.

Old and new: Previously, frames were brazed by hand, but this resulted in alignment and out of tolerance issues later on. Now it's all computer controlled brazing, which takes into account ambient temp, relative humidity, etc.

We don't often think of folding bikes as being at the forefront of technology.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:27 AM

I sit with a computer when watching How It's Made and google the manufacturers shown. Generally they are the high end companies that still manufacturer in house, I guess if they featured some third world sweat shop it would be a very different show! It is quite fascinating to see how hand made some things are, cricket bats were amazingly labour intensive. I bought my last wallet after seeing them featured on the show, Ettinger, used by Prince Charles and Idris amongst others.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:33 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
I sit with a computer when watching How It's Made and google the manufacturers shown. Generally they are the high end companies that still manufacturer in house, I guess if they featured some third world sweat shop it would be a very different show! It is quite fascinating to see how hand made some things are, cricket bats were amazingly labour intensive. I bought my last wallet after seeing them featured on the show, Ettinger, used by Prince Charles and Idris amongst others.
I love that show. I agree though, it would be different if they showed them making Malwart handbags.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
They used to primarily show Canadian companies. There was an episode years ago that showed them making CCM mountain bikes. All of us who played hockey as youngsters, or now, know CCM as a past dominant hockey brand.

I remember on that show that the bikes were torched by machine. The worker dropped silver/brass inside the seat tube and four mechanical torches lit up the ST/TT/SS junction for a minute to braze it. This was a wall mart quality MB.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:10 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_Biker View Post
They used to primarily show Canadian companies. There was an episode years ago that showed them making CCM mountain bikes. All of us who played hockey as youngsters, or now, know CCM as a past dominant hockey brand.

I remember on that show that the bikes were torched by machine. The worker dropped silver/brass inside the seat tube and four mechanical torches lit up the ST/TT/SS junction for a minute to braze it. This was a wall mart quality MB.
It is a Canadian show after all. They did just recently do a segment on making Fizik Saddles. Very cool. They have also done, Campagnolo Chains, Campagnolo wheels, and I believe, Sidi shoes.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:57 PM
Everything is connected

Vittoria tubulars.

http://youtu.be/jwrwbxPKjAI
Old 01-25-2015, 08:41 PM

Brompton episode is definitely interesting.

http://youtu.be/qtR56OdIVCk
Old 01-26-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
The worker dropped silver/brass inside the seat tube and four mechanical torches lit up the ST/TT/SS junction for a minute to braze it. This was a wall mart quality MB.
something tells me that walmart quality mtbs aren't brazed with silver or brass.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:42 AM

My favourite is the leather saddles episode filmed at Brooks.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:42 PM
Angry Young Man

Fantastic show, the food production ones can be fascinating. But probably my favorite was either the Ferrari engine factory tour, or the Fulcrum/Campy wheel episode!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gimby View Post
Fantastic show, the food production ones can be fascinating. But probably my favorite was either the Ferrari engine factory tour, or the Fulcrum/Campy wheel episode!
The Ferrari factory paint job was amazing.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:47 PM
Lost at sea...

Location: East of Pittsburgh (but I left my heart in Seattle)
Quote:
New Balance - I was surprised that some of their sneakers are still made in the US. Might be enough for me to purchase a pair when I wear down my current pair of Nikes.
Only due to subsidies. none the less...

NB has contracts with the military as the military is required by Congress to buy any uniform items from a US source... sneakers are required as part of the boot-camp uniform.

Unfortunately, that's what it takes to keep industry stateside.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeTSquirrel View Post
Only due to subsidies. none the less...

NB has contracts with the military as the military is required by Congress to buy any uniform items from a US source... sneakers are required as part of the boot-camp uniform.

Unfortunately, that's what it takes to keep industry stateside.
You learn something new everyday. I was surprised about the NB. It was a very manual process and I was wondering how they could be competitive.

Sometimes it just takes tooling up and making the initial investment in efficient equipment. I think about 75% of the ski boots are made in Montebelluna Italy. They built the capacity to stamp out ski boots and all the manufacturers do is design the specs for the shell molds.

I also see small hand made american ski companies competing. Brands like Icelantic and Moment are not priced out of the market when competing against Asian manufactured skis.