Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2015, 08:14 AM

CX single ring setup

Greetings folks, hoping to get some input from the collective here. Since cyclocross season is over its time to obsess about component and setup choices for next year. I want to make sure I've got everything right before I start buying parts.

My current rig is setup with a single front chainring, Paul's chainkeeper, and shimano 9speed derailleur and shifters. I'm thinking of switching over to a Wolf's narrow-wide chainring up front and dispensing with the chainkeeper. It seems like without the keeper, the consensus is that a clutch type derailleur adds some insurance keeping that chain on.

The Google tells me that 9speed shimano MTB der will work with 10speed cassette and STI shifters. Has anyone around here used this before? Any issues? I've seen on here that people have done similar things with SRAM stuff as well. Easier with the SRAM versus Shimano?

thanks all.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:27 AM

using SRAM for single-ring setups has the advantage of being able to use a left-side SRAM brake lever. so, no unnecessary parts or weight, but you still have the feeling (and look) of matching brake levers.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:44 AM
El Ciclista

This season I used SRAM Force shifters, XO RD with clutch, 10-spd cassette and Wolfstooth 40T single ring. No chain keeper. Not one dropped chain in training or racing and I rode over some pretty bumpy stuff at times on the flats and descending at speed. I say it works.

Last edited by majl; 01-25-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:33 AM

I've been running a 42t Wolf Tooth up front with a force RD (short cage) and 12-28 10spd set up. gutted the left brifter to save some weight.

Not a single drop, even without a clutch. I ride rough trails, shift at terrible times, smash into basically everything I shouldn't, and am not careful in any way to avoid a drop. Haven't had any issues at all. I suppose chain length is really important to the system working flawlessly. That said, I only size chains one way because that's what I was taught and couldn't offer you any how/why advice there. Of course, be sure to get that chain line correct!

I'm all for the Wolf Tooth, and if you're already committed to the 1x system, go for it. Looks much cleaner than using a guard as well. I may try to get a clutch RD for next season, but maybe not. Seems to function perfectly as is.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:49 AM

Not sure how serious you about cx, but I would not ditch the chain keeper. I raced the SRAM cx-1 setup this past season and out of 16 races I did drop a chain once. I'll be putting on a chain keeper for extra insurance.

While a clutch derailleur and narrow-wide chain ring goes a long way to mitigate dropped chains, it's not infallible.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeRacer View Post
Not sure how serious you about cx, but I would not ditch the chain keeper. I raced the SRAM cx-1 setup this past season and out of 16 races I did drop a chain once. I'll be putting on a chain keeper for extra insurance.

While a clutch derailleur and narrow-wide chain ring goes a long way to mitigate dropped chains, it's not infallible.
The issue I've had with the Paul's is that when I crash, and the chain manages to get out from under the keeper, its quite difficult to get the chain back on. I think this happened a couple times last season. Perhaps I could fix this by lowering the keeper or tweaking it or finding another keeper system. My reasoning with a wide-narrow, etc system is that when I lose a chain it will be a couple second fix instead of 30 or 60 seconds of me futzing with it.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeRacer View Post

I dropped a chain once this season too, on a pseudo CX1 setup. I figure I would have with a double setup, too.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrexler View Post
The issue I've had with the Paul's is that when I crash, and the chain manages to get out from under the keeper, its quite difficult to get the chain back on. I think this happened a couple times last season. Perhaps I could fix this by lowering the keeper or tweaking it or finding another keeper system. My reasoning with a wide-narrow, etc system is that when I lose a chain it will be a couple second fix instead of 30 or 60 seconds of me futzing with it.
I don't have a ton of miles on my Paul keeper, but I don't see how a chain could get under it. The bottom of the keeper goes completely below the side plates of the chain when it is on the ring. All that said, I had the chain end up below a n-gauge jump stop on my previous bike. Crazy things happen. So far, my Paul keeper combined with a shadow plus rd has been perfect on some very technical trails and a few decent wipeouts.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:50 PM
Imshi Cycles

Firstly, Paul keepers are awesome and incredibly secure IF you have them set up perfectly. That said, they are very tricky to set up perfectly and can get smacked outta position in a crash. As much as a I love em, they are not foolproof.

If you are racing, and find yourself getting crashy on occasion, it cant hurt to have a little extra security in the form of a k-edge catcher (not a paul, the paul is overkill with a clutch/wide-narrow and likely to cause more problems than it will fix). Just the kind with a plate on the inside and a little nub that sits above the chain.

In 65+ races on a clutch/wide-narrow drivetrain (sans catcher) I have only had one chain drop. So while not bullet proof, its a pretty secure system.

Look at a x9 type 2 rd (easily the best bang for buck in the 1x world right now) and maybe try out some sram 10 speed shifters, as i think having one paddle that takes care of all the shifting operations is a big help when it starts to get cold/muddy and/or gloves are involved.

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 01-25-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:57 PM

The only reason I'm using the Paul keeper with a clutch RD is the absence of wide/narrow chainrings for my crankset.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I don't have a ton of miles on my Paul keeper, but I don't see how a chain could get under it.
Agreed, it defies logic. Operator malfunction is probably to blame at least partly for my issues.

Thanks for the input everybody.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I don't have a ton of miles on my Paul keeper, but I don't see how a chain could get under it. The bottom of the keeper goes completely below the side plates of the chain when it is on the ring. All that said, I had the chain end up below a n-gauge jump stop on my previous bike. Crazy things happen. So far, my Paul keeper combined with a shadow plus rd has been perfect on some very technical trails and a few decent wipeouts.
It does seem far-fetched, but no system has a 0% failure rate. Everything will throw a chain at some point, somehow. Front derailleurs and doubles are great chain retention devices, but at some point those will throw a chain, too. Happened to Mathieu Van der Poel in the Hoogerheide World Cup yesterday.

Paul's definitely look secure, but I have seen chains get jammed and then thrown. When that happens, it's impossible to put it on without tools. Fine for a ride through the woods. Between the tape, though, that's race-ending.

a NW ring, on the other hand, is far easier. Easier than a double with a front derailleur, even.

In albeit only a dozen races this season, plus plenty of road, off-road, and snow riding, I threw a chain only once. That's competitive with any other system - and knowing I'm not a creek if it happens on a racecourse is some nice peace of mind.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:48 AM

Like I said, crazy things happen. In my n-gauge incident, the chain ended up below it, but it appeared the catcher itself did not move. My multi tool didn't have a Philips bit that fit it either. I would have been hosed in a race.

My original plan was wide/narrow but they didn't make them for a 94bcd 5bolt crankset. Then I looked at doing a chain guide on both sides but couldn't find them in I diameter I liked. I have aspirations to put Paul brakes on the bike so the paul keeper just felt right. As you say, I ride it in the woods. No tape or timer involved

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 01-26-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:37 PM

+1 for clutch derailleur and narrow-wide chain ring.
I personally use Race-Face chainring with X9 2.0 derailleur and had 0 dropped chains since. The added benefit is the silence and immediate engagement even on bumpy stuff.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:43 PM

This past season I used a RaceFace NW 40t, Ultegra 6700 11-28 cassette, chain, rear derailleur, and brifter. No drops so far.

That said, I was really careful to get my chain optimally short to keep the tension high.

I was using this to calculate it, but it appears to be offline at the moment: http://www.machinehead-software.co.u...engthcalc.html

Last edited by dhalbrook; 01-26-2015 at 06:48 PM.