Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Here is what I know about Boston; it is the destination of the 2015 Olympic games.........
Not sure what to make of this one.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:01 PM
needs adult supervision

Before you decide, if you can, come up to look at houses and see what your real estate budget buys you. It certainly varies by town, but get a sense of how much house you can buy here. Prices are rising here quickly. Between winter and houses prices, living here can be sobering.

On the other side, riding here between April and November is gorgeous.

Last edited by Climb01742; 01-23-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:29 PM

keep in mind that living on the east side of the mystic/bay, boston will be more or less inaccessible by bike unless you take the blue line off-hours or ride many miles west around everett/revere (you dont want to ride through there).

public transit from living in somerville/cambridge to nahant would require going inbound to north station and transferring outbound, then somehow getting to the marine lab. so she'll need a car..

medford or northern somerville would be my recommendation.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:45 PM

Talk to me about Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
Yeah there is a marine lab in Nahant. She would spend most of her time working at the marine lab and commuting into town 2-3 times a week depending on her teaching load. I am okay with winter we lived in Vancouver, BC prior to moving to NC and I grew up in Nebraska so the cold doesn't bother me too much. I just like the area where we are at now, cycling is great and the people are super nice. We just had a baby though and the schools in NC aren't great. I think Mass public schools are ranked number one if I am not mistaken?

Great insights keep 'em coming!

Working at NU marine lab in Nahant sounds rad. Not many easy commuting options though. maybe OK outside of rush hour.

fwiw Williams College campus in Mystic CT is also looking for a marine biology assistant prof....teaching mostly.

The Fells is an oasis of sorts.
Most good riding lies outside of 128/95 loop, but there is very good living to be had within. Good schools equals expensive... get what you pay for. Boston public system is tricky to get right.

Instagram
Old 01-23-2015, 02:48 PM

When I had real estate clients move from Boston to San Diego they couldn't get over how much cheaper taxes were here. When I had clients move back east they were often shocked by taxes and the cost of heating, cooling, and maintaining a home so be sure to analyze overall housing costs not just purchase prices.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
I wouldn't even think of riding my road bike around there, it's a pretty crazy area, but I'm also spoiled living in the I-495 area out west. Lynn Woods is a big mtb area and fairly close but still need a car.
I live in Melrose - basically right on the Fells, and it's only an 11 mile ride to Nahant, I've done it a few times. It's certainly not the nicest or most quaint riding - and in the summer I was slightly concerned for my life riding through Lynn in spandex, but it's not like riding is impossible. You can ride north from Nahant on your road bike and be on nicer, quieter roads within 10ish miles.

Nahant itself is pretty nice but I'd definitely try to live in Marblehead or Swampscott. Or you could live more inland in Wakefield/Melrose which would be more conducive to commuting into town probably without making the commute to Nahant too much of a nightmare. I commute by bike 10 miles from Melrose to downtown and it's far more enjoyable than sitting in traffic in a car which takes about the same amount of time - or taking the T which takes longer.

North shore ain't the worst.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:36 PM

admire the traffic @ 4:30 on a friday..

Old 01-23-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
Nahant itself is pretty nice but I'd definitely try to live in Marblehead or Swampscott. Or you could live more inland in Wakefield/Melrose which would be more conducive to commuting into town probably without making the commute to Nahant too much of a nightmare. I commute by bike 10 miles from Melrose to downtown and it's far more enjoyable than sitting in traffic in a car which takes about the same amount of time - or taking the T which takes longer.

North shore ain't the worst.
This ^^ is good stuff, on the mark.
North shore is quite good, especially if that's where your job and daily life is centered.
You like the water? Look no further. Beaches, boating, etc.
Cycling up that way (Essex county) is darn good too.

also, if you are into racing cx, there is good racing within a short drive nearly every weekend from September on. Though seeing you just had a baby, I'm thinking that's not on your radar right now.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:22 PM
not banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post

fwiw Williams College campus in Mystic CT is also looking for a marine biology assistant prof....teaching mostly.
If this is something she is considering . . . I am your huckleberry. Mystic - 8 months of the best riding anywhere in the US. 2 months of absolute hell and 2 months of bland, grey 40 degree days.

Still, we moved back from DC - and I get people all the time saying "I'd sell it all to be here."
Old 01-23-2015, 04:45 PM

Talk to me about Boston, MA

I grew up in the Boston burbs, and bought a condo in somerville about 2 years ago. So, I can attest to the exorbitant housing costs (and rising). However, one of the biggest perks is that it's only about 2 miles to the Fells, which is a great place to mountain bike. Good mix of open fire roads and technical single track. I go biking there with the dog at least once a week in the summer and haven't got bored yet.

However, I am already getting the push for a "family sized" house and exclusively looking North Shore. Particularly Beverly, Hamilton and Wenham. Easy commuter train into the city, which is a huge plus. Beverly has a decent little downtown with bars/restaurants, while the shared school district of Hamilton / wenham is quite good, if that's a factor.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:15 PM

URI...Univ. of Rhode Island has a big marine/oceanography/watery stuff program located in the southern end of the state...nice riding near the ocean or head inland to see trees, farms, and ruralness
Old 01-23-2015, 06:12 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

Lynn has gangs and crime and Swampscott (very high property taxes) is where they go to rob houses. Marblehead is physically isolated and the commute gets very tiresome. Very overpriced for its minor charms.

Watch out for the assertion of good schools in Mass. My son went to what was once listed as a top 10 public school in Mass and it sucked, IMO. Really study average SAT scores and particularly Ivy acceptance rates if looking at high schools; state achievement tests if looking elementary. Do not believe anybody saying anything about how great their schools are, go by the data. But out in the 'burbs they are pretty safe.

You really have to figure out how much time and hassle you and your wife are willing to endure in your commute, presumably by car, before we can narrow down neighborhoods for you. I second the endorsement of Hamilton/Wenham. Great road cycling connections to all that is desirable (including NH) and rideable to MTB, good mix of expensive and affordable real estate, and its own train station (parking for commutes at local stations is tough except for early birds). The drive to Nahant is not many miles, but I won't say it's a breeze (you'd learn short cuts). Picturesque town.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshogun View Post
URI...Univ. of Rhode Island has a big marine/oceanography/watery stuff program located in the southern end of the state...nice riding near the ocean or head inland to see trees, farms, and ruralness
Yep, URI and Woods Hole are tops in their field. Great riding and lower cost of living, that far south of Boston.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
This ^^ is good stuff, on the mark.
North shore is quite good, especially if that's where your job and daily life is centered.
You like the water? Look no further. Beaches, boating, etc.
Cycling up that way (Essex county) is darn good too.

also, if you are into racing cx, there is good racing within a short drive nearly every weekend from September on. Though seeing you just had a baby, I'm thinking that's not on your radar right now.
This.
There are some nice communities on the north shore - decent schools systems (though they do vary), beaches up north Singing beach, Good Harbor etc), and close enough to Boston to take advantage of the city - Another Sox convert - Yeah!
Old 01-23-2015, 08:21 PM
imho this is mp bro.

i grew up in nahant. i lived there for years and still own a house there and my folks live there. it's a great little town. email me with any questions.

it's the safest town in the world. no one in the whole town locks their doors. don't worry about lynn....it's not dangerous- it just sucks.

email me with any questions! nahant doesn't have any jobs other than i guess the elementary school and other town jobs like police and fire...

what's she doing?

craig.gaulzetti atatatatat gmail

c