Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2015, 10:19 AM

Talk to me about Boston, MA

So the wife may have a great career opportunity in the Boston area, specifically north of the city in Nahant.

I really like were we are living now and I am not too stoked about possibly moving so far north., so give me some of the highlights of the Boston area cycling and non-cycling related.

I find myself riding more in the woods these days than on the road so advice on best locations for living close to MTB trails would also be much appreciated.

Thanks
C
Old 01-23-2015, 10:23 AM

I live in Somerville so everything I know except Blue Hills is north of the city.

If work's in Nahant, then living in Winchester, Stoneham, Medford, Woburn, Arlington, etc. will allow a short commute and very easy access to the Fells- a huge wooded area rife with trails ranging from fire road to rock garden. With a car, you can get to lots more trails (Lowell-Dracut, Landlocked, Harold Parker State Forest, Willowdale, etc.) in under half an hour.

I'm more of a road/cx type and the area northwest of the city- Lexington, Concord, Carlisle, Acton, etc.- has great riding if you're looking for something on the pavement. For longer days, heading out toward Mt. Wachusett is a nice option, as is going north into New Hampshire.

There are tons more trails around us that someone with more of an off-road background can detail, but in short, don't let the idea of a lack of cycling opportunities deter you from moving here. There's a huge cycling community and the winter really isn't that bad.

Feel free to PM me, too.

Last edited by sandyrs; 01-23-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:47 AM

I don't know beans about Boston. Groan. Sorry.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

Nahant is nice, getting to Nahant sucks. It's off the lynnway, which is about as much fun to ride on as getting a root canal, but there's only one way on or off. To make matters even better, that one road is limited access, so you have to ride the parking lot which has lots of broken glass... If you don't mind putting your bike on the car, or in the car, it's close to a lot of decent cycling destinations. The thing that makes the Boston area great for cycling isn't the roads or the mountains or the perfect weather, it's the cycling community. Perhaps it's because the roads are so bad or the winters are cold or the drivers are...

If you find yourself on the north shore with a road bike, let me know. I have no sense of direction, so every ride is an adventure!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Classics Fan

Cost of living in the North East is much higher than in the South. I'd think the salary delta between her current job and the new one would have to be fairly significant to maintain a similar standard of living. I'm sure there are online calculators to analyze this.

After living growing up outside of Boston for my whole life, and then in Boston for 4 years (ok, actually cambridge) I am quite happy to be living in the woods of NH. If you do move, you can come visit me and ride some beautiful roads, though the pavement is crappy.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Cost of living in the North East is much higher than in the South. I'd think the salary delta between her current job and the new one would have to be fairly significant to maintain a similar standard of living. I'm sure there are online calculators to analyze this.
How Far Your Paycheck Goes, In 356 U.S. Cities
Old 01-23-2015, 11:21 AM

assuming her wages are adjusted to standard of living conditions, your biggest fear should be learning to listen to how fast and funny people up there can talk.

having grown up near boston and in eastern mass, and then moved south as an adult...

it's a culture shock more than anything else.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:22 AM

Her job is actually in Nahant? Nahant has to be 99% residential. It's a very nice place to be and live as it's on the water. Coming and going to Nahant can be a royal PITA - a map will tell you all you need to know.

I wouldn't even think of riding my road bike around there, it's a pretty crazy area, but I'm also spoiled living in the I-495 area out west. Lynn Woods is a big mtb area and fairly close but still need a car.

As mentioned above, price of housing may be a shock depending on what you're used to and may be looking for. Lynn is a city that's seen better days, Swampscott and Marblehead are more upscale - all have all ranges of prices.

You better like winter.... ;-)
Old 01-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Classics Fan

One other thing to consider, is Nahant is fairly close to Logan Airport, and you're likely to get some plane noise if you're living there. I can't attest to whether it is really disruptive, but atleast be aware of it.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:59 AM

I lived for a short time in Boston in the North End. I have a deep love for the city. Really outstanding place. But first, some negatives:

The winter weather is awful. As a North Carolina native moving up there right after school, I wasn't fully prepared for how terrible winter can truly get.

And the cost of living is ridiculous. (Says the guy now in the Bay Area, I know, do as I say...) But you'll need to really sort out that if the cost of living doesn't fully wash, that the quality of life in Boston is what you want.

Now, the good stuff:

I found living in the city I could get by on a T pass and no car. That's huge in my book. But if you're in the burbs...

The food. My God the food. Real lobster rolls. Clam chowder as God intended. Tiramisu like you wouldn't believe from North End bakeries. Heck, BREAD from North End bakeries. The food is fantastic.

Boston is far more cosmopolitan than Winston-Salem (and I say this as a kid who grew up outside Greensboro). There'll be far more to do and see. New York City is a short train ride, and you've got the rest of New England a stone's throw away. Go do candle pin bowling in Alewife and get thrown out when one of your buddies gets too drunk and makes a fool of himself.

Just buy a really good winter coat. And a mythical Norse hammer to fight Frost Giants. I'm only half kidding about the second one.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:09 PM

Weather

Forget the cycling, do you like cold, cold and cold weather from end of November until April, maybe some snow (first storm coming tomorrow, mostly rain near Boston), sleet, black ice, frozen pipes, high cost of heating just to name a few of then joys of living in Mass. or any cold environment. I have lived in Mass. and RI my entire life and don't know why I stay, I hate winter. So if you have never lived in a colder climate than NC, you should spend a week or two in Nahant in January/February before making a decision. If I didn't have family ties and job concerns I'd move to a warm climate state and I'd be gone tomorrow!

In the summer there are lots of great places to ride, mountain bikes and road bikes alike.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Her job is actually in Nahant? Nahant has to be 99% residential. It's a very nice place to be and live as it's on the water. Coming and going to Nahant can be a royal PITA - a map will tell you all you need to know.

I wouldn't even think of riding my road bike around there, it's a pretty crazy area, but I'm also spoiled living in the I-495 area out west. Lynn Woods is a big mtb area and fairly close but still need a car.

As mentioned above, price of housing may be a shock depending on what you're used to and may be looking for. Lynn is a city that's seen better days, Swampscott and Marblehead are more upscale - all have all ranges of prices.

You better like winter.... ;-)
Yeah there is a marine lab in Nahant. She would spend most of her time working at the marine lab and commuting into town 2-3 times a week depending on her teaching load. I am okay with winter we lived in Vancouver, BC prior to moving to NC and I grew up in Nebraska so the cold doesn't bother me too much. I just like the area where we are at now, cycling is great and the people are super nice. We just had a baby though and the schools in NC aren't great. I think Mass public schools are ranked number one if I am not mistaken?

Great insights keep 'em coming!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
I am okay with winter we lived in Vancouver, BC prior to moving to NC and I grew up in Nebraska so the cold doesn't bother me too much.
Ahem, with all due respect, Vancouver winter is more like NC winter than a Boston winter. Seriously.

Do you know what kind of living you want? City? Burbs? You have a few choices, just depends on how much you want to spend. Schools are managed by individual towns (not counties, etc) so they can vary greatly by town.

Good luck with your decision. These types of decisions are always tough but it's also a good choice to have.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:18 PM
but not really

I just moved to Connecticut after 12 years in Boston (Jamaica Plain and Brookline). I am happy to go back once a month or so for work, but I have no desire to move back there.

We have two young boys and our biggest motivation for moving was the poor school system in the city of Boston, and the fact that anywhere that had good schools was way out of reach financially to live (and I earn a respectable salary by Boston standards) unless we moved closer to 495. At that point it made no sense to be "near" Boston since you're still an hour away from the city, not able to use the T system (commuter rail doesn't count), and still dealing with the traffic frustrations of greater Boston.

Living in Boston was great, until we added kids to the mix and then the costs became unmanageable. Most of the towns mentioned (Winchester, Stoneham, Arlington, etc.) have better public schools than the city of Boston, but buying a 3 bedroom house or even condo is going to be at least $400k, and that's for maybe 1400 square feet. Even renting is likely over $2k a month.

Also, even though I had great riding buddies, it was a major chore to get out on the mtb unless I could ride to the destination. Traffic is almost always present. Forget about driving from Winchester to Lynn Woods on a weeknight after work. Riding to the ride is very doable though, and most drivers in Boston are used to seeing cyclists, so even if they hate us, they are not as unaware as what I've experienced riding in North Carolina, Nebraska, Iowa, etc.

In summary, I wouldn't personally choose to move back to Boston at this stage in my life. Prior to kids it was great, and maybe when kids are grown up, I'd consider going back, but with a young family and not being a millionaire, no thanks.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:51 PM

Here is what I know about Boston; it is the destination of the 2024 Olympic games.........

Last edited by merckx; 01-23-2015 at 02:54 PM. Reason: math fart