Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Thomas Palermo Memorial Fund Information

I wanted to make sure everyone saw this regarding the Thomas Palermo Memorial Fund. Memorial contributions may be made to the
Palermo Children's Educational Trust
c/o Michael Molloy
Stifel Nicholas
1 South St., 30th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202

Here's the link to the website...
http://www.youcaring.com/tuition-fun...rEWio.facebook

Last edited by Keith A; 01-01-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Post Mod-ern

Thanks, Keith.

You beat me to it, you rascal!

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 12-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Post Mod-ern

Chris Bishop posted this on V-Salon . . .

. . . and I am copying and pasting it here assuming he will understand why. If anyone here knew Tom or had one of his bikes, your contributions will no doubt be appreciate.

BBD

---------------------

Project for Tom Palermo

Since hearing about what happened to Tom on Sunday morning, I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. I am on vacation with my family in Florida, but all I can think about is how much I want to be back in Baltimore right now. Thankfully we will make it back for a memorial ride and the services. I have been having long discussions with my wife about Tom and our desire to do something for him and his family. Everything is so raw right now, that it's hard to think clearly about what would be most fitting to honor Tom. My wife suggested that if I had been the one killed on Saturday, as any of us could have been, she would appreciate something that she could show my young daughter in the future of what her father did. And this is exactly what I want to do for Tom. Tom was a great guy, always warm. He loved his family immensely, something I got to see firsthand when I visited his house. We may not be able to bring Tom back to his kids, but we have an opportunity to create something for his wife and kids, who are too young now to really understand, to show them what he accomplished in this aspect of his life, as a framebuilder. My wife and I have decided that a book might be a good idea. We want to compile pictures, stories, thoughts about Tom and his bikes into a book that, when they are ready, his kids and wife can look at to see how much he was respected and loved in this community and the talent he had. So here is what I need:

Anyone with anything they want to contribute, please email me chris@bishopbikes.com and please cc my wife (she is an editor and will be helping me with this project) at cdefine8@yahoo.com. If you have any pictures of Tom's bike, if you are one of his customers, if you have pics of him at NAHBS or other shows or out riding; news stories; stories or statements you want to contribute about Tom, please email me.

I plan on posting this on framebuilders forum and classic rendezvous, and also on some of my social media (which isn't a lot). If anyone knows of anyplace else where I can or should get the word out, I would appreciate it.

I am thinking this project will take around 2 months.

I want this to be a tribute to Tom as he existed here, with us, in our small world of bike builders and bike lovers.

As stated earlier, I am still reeling, so if for any reason, this seems like a bad idea to anyone, let me know. Someone mentioned starting a fund for Tom's family in another thread, and I have thought about doing that. But I don't know the ins and outs of that process, I don't know if you need or should obtain permission from the family to start a fund like that? I talked to another framebuilder yesterday, who said that in these circumstances, acting soon is important because people forget quickly, so I am throwing my idea about the book out there now. I appreciate any feedback, and contributions and for letting me post this on this forum. I know that Tom belonged here, so I thought it was a good place to start.

Tom was always incredibly helpful and encouraging to me when I started out as framebuilder. I will never forget the ways he helped me. I hope we can create something for Tom to help his kids remember their father with pride.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 12-31-2014, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Here's the link to the website...
http://www.youcaring.com/tuition-fun...rEWio.facebook
Old 12-31-2014, 12:47 PM

thanks for posting the link. I don't have a connection myself to Tom but felt compelled to donate something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Old 01-09-2015, 10:56 AM

I'm not sure how many people read the CR Google group--you do have to sign up to read--but there are currently two Proteus bikes being offered, with all proceeds to benefit the Tom Palermo trust fund.

One is an older literally barn find 60+cm circa early 70s'--minimum $250--this is a project bike; the second is a later crit geo 56 square (minimum bid $650)--possibly a Yamaguchi, given its geometry--and in wonderful shape.

Anyone can PM me and I can provide the details of the individuals who have the bikes for sale if you would rather not join the CR group....

Dean Kernan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70s_Proteus.jpg (83.6 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg 82Proteus.jpg (125.5 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by paredown; 01-09-2015 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Add picures
Old 03-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Small ring

Thought I'd put this here, and bump this thread up:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...shed_ride.html
Old 03-08-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Thought I'd put this here, and bump this thread up:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...shed_ride.html
Thanks for that. RIP, Tom.