Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Bike Guy

Shimalgo Compatibility Question

Attempting to convert a bike with an old but functional Athena 11s drivetrain to a more relaxed townie, short commuter, and grocery getter. Planning on exchanging drop bars and brifters for some bullmoose style bars with Paul thumbies and bar end shifters. It already has canti brakes so I will only need levers there. My question is can I use Dura Ace 9000 bar end shifters with the Athena 11? I know Paul makes thumbies specifically for Shimano shifters so I assume there is no issue with that interface. Anybody mated a Shimano shifter to Campagnolo derailleurs before?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:20 AM

wouldn't it make sense to just pull the entire groupset off, and use a different one? You could easily get enough for your used Athena group to cover all the required parts.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:25 AM

Should work fine with a Shimano 11 RD...
Old 01-26-2015, 02:18 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
Attempting to convert a bike with an old but functional Athena 11s drivetrain to a more relaxed townie, short commuter, and grocery getter. Planning on exchanging drop bars and brifters for some bullmoose style bars with Paul thumbies and bar end shifters. It already has canti brakes so I will only need levers there. My question is can I use Dura Ace 9000 bar end shifters with the Athena 11? I know Paul makes thumbies specifically for Shimano shifters so I assume there is no issue with that interface. Anybody mated a Shimano shifter to Campagnolo derailleurs before?

Thanks!
Nope, will not shift. Think either DA 11s barend shifters and 5800/6800/9000 rear der. The rest of the drivetrain will work fine.