Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2015, 02:10 PM
Administrator

OT: Watches/Tough watches/one you won't cry over...

...If it's smashed.

I'm usually very good about taking care of my things. Though there are two things that I always seem to end up breaking or scratching up = Sun glasses and watches. I like nice sunglasses and I like nice watches, but I don't generally wear either for this reason.

That said, I need something that's reliable, water proof, doesn't cost a lot (for said reasons) and doesn't look like a turd on my wrist (Okay, I was kind of joking on that last one ). I do a lot of cycling, paddle boarding, and many other outdoor activities where a watch is probably a better option then a cell phone for immediate carry.

Any suggestions for something that might fit the bill?

William
Old 05-26-2015, 02:15 PM
Too Few Miles

Timex Ironman

Cheap.

Flawless performance.

Many functions for timing, alarm, training etc.

Band will break before anything else happens to it.

Enjoy!
Old 05-26-2015, 02:22 PM

I have one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/844275/ca...r-atomic-watch

Looks wise, it's not super classy, but not too bad. My only complaint is that it's pretty thick, not outrageous, but it can get hung up on sleeves.

Function wise, it's been flawless.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:27 PM

Hard to beat a Monster;

http://www.thepurists.com/watch/features/8ohms/7s26/
Old 05-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Administrator

JR beat me to it.

Most of the Seiko line of auto dive watches are pretty cheap, durable and reliable.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:33 PM

Not sure what you define as a lot $, but I've been wearing a Damasko da47 daily for a month or so now, and it's probably the first watch I've ever owned that has not even one scratch. It has a folding clasp, and usually that scratches easily. This one looks new still.

I hit a metal door frame once and it simply took the paint off the door frame. A person knocked against it pretty hard walking in a market and it took their skin off.

other than that, the seikos mentioned are solid, but IMO the strap is pretty crappy. I did not like the rubber that came with it, sat really poorly on my wrist, and the metal band is just cheap...

i prefer the gshock for daily abuse and prefer the 350 model since it has a swanky vibrating feature.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 05-26-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:36 PM

While I too like a nice watch, I don't like weight and bulk of many watches. I like the unstated style and lightweight of titanium skagen watches.

http://www.skagen.com/us/en/men/products/watches.html
Old 05-26-2015, 02:40 PM

I purchased an Oceanus Titanium Chronograph around 10 years ago. Oceanus was Casio's high-end (relatively) brand of analog watches, and we're very nice. Oceanus is no longer, but Casio has a new line called Edifice. http://edifice.casio.com/home.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:41 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Another vote for a Seiko.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:44 PM

Timex

I have worn these over the last many years. They don't make my fav model any more, but this is similar. Takes a licking....

Here's what Timex and I always say:

"You can tell a lot about a man by the watch he wears. He, his Roubaix Pro, and his watch are handsome and well-made. Plus the watch is a Timex, so you can feel good about it."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timex-Mens-F...item3cf1e94d4a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timex-Mens-F...-/261756636593

Last edited by eddief; 05-26-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:52 PM

Not sure what your definition of "doesn't cost a lot" is, but for me, I'm looking at the Garmin Vivoactive to replace my 510 for cycling and fill the void for run/swim. It's packed with bluetooth and ant+ so it'll communicate with my cadence, speed, HRM and PM. It also has GPS so it'll track my routes too.

It's $250 retail, but I've seen them go as low as $200. IMO, it's a pretty good bang for the buck.

Last edited by bkw; 05-26-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:54 PM

Seiko SKX173 if you want an automatic versus a quartz. Any of their cheap automatics really.

They have a reputation for being bulletproof and the one I picked up in March seems to back that up.

Not perfect (no hack, for example), but for the money you really can't go wrong.

Last edited by FlashUNC; 05-26-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:04 PM
extremely tall

Casio MDV106.

Haters gonna hate, but it's cheap, looks great, keeps great time, and you won't cry when you scratch it. Throw a nice NATO band on it for $10 and you're good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-MDV106-1.../dp/B009KYJAJY
Old 05-26-2015, 03:07 PM

I also like fine watches, have owned many and still have a few. I also like no nonsense tool sport watches for the reasons you have identified.

My thoughts on sports watches i have owned:

Ironman and G Shock -- I have had a couple of each and they definitely do the job. And, if it gets scratched or smashed, there are no tears.

Suunto Observor -- I've had mine for about ten years. Likewise pretty much bullet proof. Suunto discontinued the Observer and seems to have gone to less robust fashion-ish sport watches. But, I just checked, you can get an Observer on the Bay for between $75 and $125.

Citizen Sky Hawk -- Very tough. I have the Ti version (yes, it's faster). You can probably pick up a SS one for $150.

Seiko Auto Dive Watches -- I have had a bunch of these and even collected (or accumulated) the vintage Seiko divers for a while. My favorites of the modern offerings are the "Monster" (Search seiko orange monster). An incredibly tough tool watch in a big, solid SS case.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:07 PM

Been wearing Ironman watches since the 80's. And for all you democrats (not me), even Bill wore one so it should be cool enough for you haha