Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2015, 09:40 AM

Post-Marmotte Suggestions?

A buddy and I are doing Marmotte on Saturday July 4. We will be with our wives. We will be flying home on the Tuesday. We could fly out of Geneva, Milan or Paris. I am looking for suggestions as to an interesting activity or place for a couple of days that is within 2 or 3 hours of Bourg d'Oisans/Grenoble. We could do some mountain hiking, wine tasting or hang out at an interesting town. Less interested in big cities. A hotel or country inn with lots of character might fill the bill. Any thoughts?
Old 05-26-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
A buddy and I are doing Marmotte on Saturday July 4. We will be with our wives. We will be flying home on the Tuesday. We could fly out of Geneva, Milan or Paris. I am looking for suggestions as to an interesting activity or place for a couple of days that is within 2 or 3 hours of Bourg d'Oisans/Grenoble. We could do some mountain hiking, wine tasting or hang out at an interesting town. Less interested in big cities. A hotel or country inn with lots of character might fill the bill. Any thoughts?
There's a ton to do in Annecy and the surrounding area. Short drive back into Geneve...

Texbike
Old 05-26-2015, 10:48 AM

Yes, Annecy is stunning. I should make it clear that we've been to the Alps, Southern France, Northern Italy etc quite a few times to bike, ski, wine-taste, etc. in the past. So Provence, Burgundy, Annecy are "been there, done that". Looking for suggestions that might not come to mind immediately.

Thanks!
R.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, Annecy is stunning. I should make it clear that we've been to the Alps, Southern France, Northern Italy etc quite a few times to bike, ski, wine-taste, etc. in the past. So Provence, Burgundy, Annecy are "been there, done that". Looking for suggestions that might not come to mind immediately.

Thanks!
R.
Ever been to the Beaujolais region?
Old 05-26-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotel View Post
Ever been to the Beaujolais region?
Great minds think alike! That's exactly where I got to as one of my two suggestions to the others in my group. It'll either be there or Chamonix (as our final two choices).

Any suggestions for particular inns/chateaux in the Beaujolais area? Is Lyon worth a visit (aside from the obvious gastronomic angle)?

Thanks,

R.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
R.
Have you guys been to Briancon? It's a bit touristy, but beautiful and a handful of wonderful restaurants. Also, not too far to Milan.

Texbike
Old 05-26-2015, 05:38 PM

I spent a few days in the area SW of Geneva. It's a great place to ride, too, and there were some little town fairs going on. My wife and her family took a bike trip around the south side of the lake when she was a girl, and they have fond memories of the time.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:04 AM

Small towns that I like, that might fit the bill:
Monetier les bains
La Berarde
Saou
St Hugues en Chartreuse
Orpierre
Malleval-en-Vercors
Old 05-27-2015, 08:52 AM

Many thanks guys! All useful stuff. In the end we've decided to head over to Chamonix and do some hiking off of the Aguille du Midi cable car. Looks like its about 300 euros to hire a car with driver for the four of us from Alpe d'Huez so that should be fine. I'd rather rent a car myself but that would probably involve getting down to Grenoble, trying to find a car big enough for four people and luggage and then dropping it off at GVA.