Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2015, 09:36 PM

Socks for cycling/running

I have been dwindling down my drawer of athletic socks that either no longer fit (shrunk), or have more holes than they have material. I'm looking for socks that must be good for both cycling and running, just a simple 1/4 length.

Problem I have with a lot of my socks is that while they start out fine, after a while many shrink too much and feel tight from heel to toe (sz 14 shoes). My size puts me just on the cusp of not fitting most "bulk" packaged socks at the stores around me. I've had DeFeet aerator socks that have held up well over time, some PI that are newer and doing ok, and many other misc. "bike branded" that have all shrunk.

So since there are lots of people here with feet, any recommendations for other socks I should check out?

Last edited by cmbicycles; 05-25-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:52 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I think your first decision has to be on material (i.e. wool vs plastic) then on thickness, and finally on "generic-looking" vs "nifty designs." IMO / IME (experience) all of those are personal choices - there's no single best answer.

(Given the time of year, I'm assuming we're talking warmish or hot weather socks.)
Old 05-24-2015, 09:55 PM

www.darntough.com

If they EVER get a hole or wear out they'll send you a new pair for free.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:12 AM
bourbon!

see if longscycle.com has anything in your size. I have bought lots of socks from them. They are so cheap it makes it easy to toss them .
Old 05-25-2015, 08:12 AM

Most cycling socks are not big enough for large feet. My feet are not as big as yours, size 12 shoe, but I have had good luck with Castelli Rosso Corsa. They come in a size 2XL.

Jeff
Old 05-25-2015, 08:29 AM

Smartwool
Old 05-25-2015, 08:46 AM

Darntough and Balega
Old 05-25-2015, 09:15 AM

Swiftwick
Old 05-25-2015, 09:23 AM

Defeet. Good experience with longscycle here too.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:26 AM

I've recently made the switch over from a "general" athletic sock to a dedicated cycling sock.

I chose DeFeet and have been very happy. Locally owned and produced (NC), outlet section on the site regularly has them for $5/pair, and a range of materials to suit your needs.

I like to go thin so that I can have a fixed shoe fit and then alter warmth by adding exterior coverage (oversocks, overshoes, etc). This gives me a consistent fit throughout the year and avoid hotspots, blisters, etc.

One tip for shrinking and helping longevity: Wash on cold with your other cycling gear and let them line dry!
Old 05-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Member?

Defeet.

Plus, I recently purchased this and have been quite satisfied: https://www.thorlo.com/socks/xcmu/066
Old 05-25-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I have been dwindling down my athletic sock drawer of late and pitching the old socks that either no longer fit (shrunk), or have more holes than they have material. I'm looking for socks that must be good for both cycling and running, just a simple 1/4 length.

Problem I have with a lot of my socks is that while they start out fine, after a while many shrink too much and feel tight from heel to toe (sz 14 shoes). My size puts me just on the cusp of not fitting most "bulk" packaged socks at the stores around me. I've had DeFeet aerator socks that have held up well over time, some PI that are newer and doing ok, and many other misc. "bike branded" that have all shrunk.

So since there are lots of people here with feet, any recommendations for other socks I should check out?
This likely comes down to personal preference, but I have very different tastes in running socks versus cycling socks. For cycling I do not want anything to thick but can otherwise wear just about anything, though mostly has been Hincapie because they come with my team kit. For running, I need something thicker and always go back to Thorlos (they worked in college and they worked best for me as part of my marathon training last year).
Old 05-25-2015, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out some of those sites/companies mentioned.
I'm primarily looking for warm weather socks, which has usually been coolmax or similar synthetic. I usually wear the same socks for running and cycling, nothing too thick for either. Anyone find that the thinner wool socks to do well for warm weather?

Last edited by cmbicycles; 05-25-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:49 AM

A partisan note in favor of Darntough. They really are a very good sock. Years of experience with them, always my choice for comfort and fit.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashunc View Post
swiftwick
+1