Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2015, 07:41 PM
Descent fitness

Memorial day Weekend ride reports, please

It's been one of those weekends where I have thought more about riding than actually doing it.
I did not get out yesterday, since I was working on my truck and had a $.50 part break in a hard to get to part of the motor, which extended my father – son project for over two hours, and exposed my son to some creative mechanical techniques and cursing, so riding was a no-go. Of course no one in town stocked the part, so we had to wait until today to finish the project.
After we were done this morning, I texted my regular riding buddies only to find out that one had gone whale watching, while the other got a new puppy. Avoiding the obvious activity for the day (playing with the new puppy) I went on a 30 mile ride up to our local reservoir. It was a nice morning, with temperatures in the mid 60s and a tailwind all the way out. I saw a moderate amount of riders and motorcyclists on the way, but few cars. I stopped to take a picture of the old war horse in front of what was a very dry reservoir. It is going to be tough here in California unless we get some rain this next season.
Tomorrow I plan to do a 30 mile ride with about 3500 feet of climbing in it. This is locally been dubbed as the "rip your legs off" ride.
That's what I got. I hope you're having a great weekend and would love to hear about your rides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (111.9 KB, 318 views)
Old 05-24-2015, 07:54 PM

Two rides

Got in 44 great miles with a couple friends that took us by a few state parks in the Muskegon area and a glimpse or two of Lake Michigan on Saturday. A few decent hills mixed in and great weather. Sunday I rode with a friend from Chicago. She is in her mid sixties, rides a beautiful Colnago with Super Record EPS 11 speed and can hold her own with men much younger than her. We headed south towards Holland, Michigan along Lake Michigan. Got in 37 mostly flat miles and beat the rain that eventually showed up. So far two great days of riding. Hope to do a 70 miler on Monday but it appears Mother Nature has other ideas. Not going to slog for three plus hours in the rain! Sorry I don't have pics to provide.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:05 PM

Did a Metric Century today on the GR up to Brookline NH and back with a friend from work. Beautiful day edging on a bit warm towards the end. Sorry no pics!
Old 05-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Rode from Millwood, NY to Yorktown NY and back with the family. 14 mile round trip on the North County Trail.

Ivy rode her 1983 Trek 620. Matty (6) rode his 2014 Trek Superfly 20. Alexandra (4) and I shared our new-to-us Cannondale road tandem. Fantastic time for everyone. In Yorktown, we stopped for ice cream.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Post Mod-ern

Had a great time yesterday . . .

. . . in the Adirondacks, doing the Mohawk Hudson Cycling Club's "Alternate Plan B" ride for 64.5 miles. Lots of beautiful sunshine, stunning scenery, and mostly empty roads. Then driving around to do some photography afterward. You can see a map of the ride at: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7969783

BBD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2651_B.jpg (97.4 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2636.jpg (129.8 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0299.jpg (64.4 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0349.jpg (68.3 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0359.jpg (70.0 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0382.jpg (61.2 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0395.jpg (87.6 KB, 295 views)
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 05-24-2015, 08:57 PM

nothing epic...just my usual in-town loop for about 35 miles.

we had some severe t-storms last nite...saw some serious tree damage...one gigantic oak was ripped out by the roots.

guessing there was a micro-burst in that area.

gotta get going 'early' tomorrow if I want to ride...more rain storms forecast for mid-day.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:08 PM

Drove to Mount Airy, NC for a solo century...3 climbs up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and lots of wandering around in between. ~9950' of climbing. Beautiful day to be outside. Only saw one other cyclist...

Stopped at the grave site of the original Siamese Twins, Chang and Eng Bunker. Kind of a weird place for them to settle down...probably not a lot of Asians in rural NC in the early 1800's...

Old 05-24-2015, 09:21 PM

Memorial day Weekend ride reports, please

Broke up with my gf and we're getting out of our house lease, so yesterday was riding 30 miles looking for a place to move to and just getting out of the house for the afternoon.

105 miles on Sunday because I have plenty of free time now. The physical suffering crowds out the emotional suffering. It was hot, ended up with my skin caked with salt from dried up sweat. Convenience store stop at 40 miles:

Debating on 80 miles tomorrow, 40 on a group ride to my club's Memorial Day picnic then 40 solo to get home... Or maybe just riding some miles solo. It's nice to ride a bicycle.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:09 PM

No pics but a great day. Did 40+ miles with some friends and my baby boy.

Helped that my baby boy is a 18 w/o crew kid that has 1 hell of a motor.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:10 AM
Yours truly

Rode 102 miles on Sat and 100 miles on Sun. Getting ready this morning to do another 63 miles today to celebrate Memorial Day. Sorry I have no picture to contribute.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:20 AM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Rode from Millwood, NY to Yorktown NY and back with the family. 14 mile round trip on the North County Trail.

Ivy rode her 1983 Trek 620. Matty (6) rode his 2014 Trek Superfly 20. Alexandra (4) and I shared our new-to-us Cannondale road tandem. Fantastic time for everyone. In Yorktown, we stopped for ice cream.

Nice to see some younguns with their helmets properly strapped. Nice jersey and t-shirt.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:51 AM

Had a great 70 mile ride south of Pittsburgh yesterday. Headed out the Mon river to Mingo Creek park, one of my favorite destinations. Pic is on Bunola River Road, which was partially closed due to a landslide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM01149.jpg (78.8 KB, 230 views)
Old 05-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkbaby View Post
Broke up with my gf and we're getting out of our house lease, so yesterday was riding 30 miles looking for a place to move to and just getting out of the house for the afternoon.
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with it.

For me, I have been visiting family friends, so was able to fit in 30 or so yesterday around my parent's house. All the old roads from my childhood. Rode significant parts of my elementary school bus route and many of the roads that my friends and I used to bike around town to get pizzas, go to the tennis courts in summer, etc.

I live in a pretty hilly place now, so I'm not sure if it is that, or I'm just bigger now, but the hills around my hometown seem to get smaller every year.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:10 AM

Rode an absolutely gorgeous route from my house to my son's soccer tournament in the Delaware Water Gap. Highlight was hugging a beautiful ridge on a quiet rolling road for about 35 miles. Great day for a 60 miler and watching some soccer. Going to do some hills in Bucks County today.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:58 PM

Sorry to hear about the break up, Milkbaby. It's no fun, but probably for the best. Better than being in for 20 big ones before it happens.

Like Seramount, it's been raining here for the better part of a month. The roads are slick with mud, soil, and grit. I did get 25 miles in on Saturday before the rain. I was awaiting a delivery this morning, and now, the sky has opened up again. But, I'm glad we're no longer in drought conditions. I wish some of this rain would originate in California.