Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2015, 05:49 AM

I've had mine on the bike for a couple thousand miles and one rewrap for new cables, and it looks brand new. Pricey, but I wanted the two tone to match the frame.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:43 AM

Great tape!

Losses is nice sticky texture after not long. Thicker stuff is nice but I like the thin 1.8

Be sure to avoid stretching as this as start above will kill the tape. I splits the layers apart and causes early destruction!

I have wrapped many bars with LS and find a light wrap in combination with grabbing the tape, and twisting the bar with it loose yields a good and lasting result.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:27 AM

I have used the black on one of my bikes for the last several years w/o any trouble at all.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:25 AM

Have it on 3 bikes

I don't think I've wrapped it too tight. 1 bike has about 500 miles with the tape and the tape has started to wear out on the bars just behind the hoods. Another bike has less than 500 miles on the tape and the same spots on behind the hoods have worn the color off on spots about the size of a nickel. The third bike has about 100 miles with the tape and no problems yet. All of this tape is the 3.2 mm thick version.

FWIW I had the similar Arundel tape on one of these bikes and had the same problem, which is why I went to this tape. I have had Cinelli and other cork tapes last for years, I guess I'm going back to that.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:41 PM

Lizard Skin contacted me with a nice email giving me some tips for the installation and offering to send me another roll!

Even if I'm unable to get it right the second time around, I wish I had done some research and contacted them prior to choosing the title for this thread.

If a Mod reads this would you please consider changing the title to "Avoid Stretching Lizard Skin"
Old 05-26-2015, 04:46 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
Lizard Skin contacted me with a nice email giving me some tips for the installation and offering to send me another roll!

Even if I'm unable to get it right the second time around, I wish I had done some research and contacted them prior to choosing the title for this thread.

If a Mod reads this would you please consider changing the title to "Avoid Stretching Lizard Skin"
Easy to change the title in your original post: go to 'edit' then to 'advanced' which will allow you to edit your title.

You can prevent slipping of the tape by underwrapping with hockey or friction tape, then wrap the LizardSkin normally with minimal pulling.

Last edited by dave thompson; 05-26-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
Easy to change the title in your original post: go to 'edit' then to 'advanced' which will allow you to edit your title.

You can prevent slipping of the tape by underwrapping with hockey or friction tape, then wrap the LizardSkin normally with minimal pulling.
also possible to do this by wrapping e-tape sticky side out. I think I learned that trick from the old Svelte Cycles blog
Old 05-26-2015, 07:18 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
also possible to do this by wrapping e-tape sticky side out. I think I learned that trick from the old Svelte Cycles blog
Friction tape works better. Vinyl tape melts and makes a sticky mess.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:34 PM
You still here?

Yep, hockey/friction tape provides a lot of friction without the stickiness of electrical tape so LizardSkin bar tape doesn't move around when wrapped with it.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 PM
The B!

Quote:

Russel seems like a nice guy.

It's still a failed product. Sounds like around 50% of people have no trouble with it, and maybe another 25% can get it to work with some special effort. That's not working for me, personally.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
Russel seems like a nice guy.

It's still a failed product. Sounds like around 50% of people have no trouble with it, and maybe another 25% can get it to work with some special effort. That's not working for me, personally.
Those numbers don’t necessarily related to failure. As long as his profit covers the cost a 1 free replacement he is still doubling his money 75% of the time.

I’ll take that all Day!
Old 05-26-2015, 11:12 PM

Any correlation between people who wear out the tape faster and those who wear gloves when they ride?

I was in the same boat with the surface of the bar tape wearing off within 1000 miles. I wore gloves with synthetic leather palms all the time and tended to put my weight on direct on the section that wore out first. I wonder if it would have lasted longer if I did not wear gloves.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 AM

Guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurlo View Post
Any correlation between people who wear out the tape faster and those who wear gloves when they ride?

I was in the same boat with the surface of the bar tape wearing off within 1000 miles. I wore gloves with synthetic leather palms all the time and tended to put my weight on direct on the section that wore out first. I wonder if it would have lasted longer if I did not wear gloves.
Since an accident last summer where sweaty bare hands on leather bar wrap were possibly a contributing factor I've been wearing gloves and I ride 99.9% of the time with my hands on the hoods. All of my lizard skin wear issues are where the heels of my hands come in contact with the bars behind the hoods.

Having said that, it's not a problem with cork tape which lasts for years for me. It usually gets faded and dirty before it starts to break up.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:

2 weeks from the initial contact with the Company and no replacement was sent and no further contact.

The only thing worse than not responding to a complaint and responding that you will make it right and than not following thru.

No biggie just a $35 lesson learned.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:43 PM

my buddy and i had the same issue as the OP with colored LZ Skin tape. about the same mileage. i don't use it anymore. fizik for me.