Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2015, 08:15 AM
ergottWheels

The Topeak (pictured) is pretty good.

I also have a couple Blackburns which at least look nicer.

I also have a Park which is more flexible with fit. The handle has settings to change so it fits just about any frame size.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:18 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Wheels look out of place..
Yeah they do. Placebo or not, no wheels I've ridden on that bike felt as good when the speeds were in the mid 20s and above. Problem is you just can't justify going pedestrian speeds with them. Made me want to ride eyeballs out every ride.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:33 AM

Painted to match the old ones look pretty spiffy I think. Especially when you replace the head with a decent Campy one.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
Isn't that a pro's bike? It's not like he has the option of riding a fine, custom lugged steel bike for which he can have his frame pump painted to match. I think it's telling that he has forced a frame pump to work with his Dali-esque bike—the equipment choice is driven by practicality and efficacy, and not vanity.

P.S. At first glance I thought he had some weird figurines stuck to his spokes...

Actually, the pump makes that bike a lot more attractive.

...it would be extremely hard to make it uglier.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Painted to match the old ones look pretty spiffy I think. Especially when you replace the head with a decent Campy one.

That's beautiful!

Sometimes it doesn't even have to match:

Old 05-21-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Yeah they do. Placebo or not, no wheels I've ridden on that bike felt as good when the speeds were in the mid 20s and above. Problem is you just can't justify going pedestrian speeds with them. Made me want to ride eyeballs out every ride.
lol, that's pretty much how i feel about deep wheels. if people ask my opinion on them, i always say: "fun for that sixteen year old boy in a sports car feeling, but they're not for every day."

here's a frame pump on my modern carbon bike that looks good:
Old 05-21-2015, 03:51 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
lol, that's pretty much how i feel about deep wheels. if people ask my opinion on them, i always say: "fun for that sixteen year old boy in a sports car feeling, but they're not for every day."
I'm scaling back to Enve 4.5s this year. They are coming soon. That's an every day depth in my book.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:28 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
Drool!
Old 05-22-2015, 10:29 AM
I <Heart> Dirt

Hoping to receive my sample pump soon. Here's a recent photo from Silca's Instagram feed:
https://instagram.com/p/2_TzqJnaYX/
Old 05-23-2015, 08:02 AM

For me, my interest is in trying to buy USA made products after decades of watching jobs go off shore. I know an awful lot of people who complain about the loss of USA jobs but still buy the cheapest pos they can find and then complain when it fails in a year (or less). I'm solidly middle class, maybe lower middle by today's standards but am willing to sacrifice in other areas if necessary to afford something like the Imperio when it's made in the USA. I feel it's important to support companies still making a go of it (or trying to start up) in the USA. My favorite brands are Serotta, McIntosh, Audeze and the new Silca. Yes, I bought a Super Ultimate... As many have said, functional art. Do I notice the difference in quality between a Mac audio component or a SONY component, I'd say yes, both sonically and in build quality. I appreciate the fact that McIntosh still makes their products where they always have since 1949, in Binghamton New York. I have a couple old McIntosh tube pieces in my office from the late 60's that people who see them can't believe (they look new) that they are that old (other than the tubes tipping them off). Turn em' on when i walk in the door 5 days a week, off when I walk out the door since I bought them used but not abused in 1991. Try that with an Emerson...

Do I feel taken advantage of paying the cost of some of this USA made stuff?? No, not really, I realize the guys (and gals) making the products are making more than a dollar a day and want to support their efforts...

Last edited by A1A; 05-23-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:02 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1A View Post
Do I feel taken advantage of paying the cost of some of this USA made stuff?? No, not really, I realize the guys (and gals) making the products are making more than a dollar a day and want to support their efforts...
Agree which is why the reflexive recoil to goods with a price tag higher than mass market junk is a terrible reaction to have. Just step back, think for a minute and then decide if, on balance and in the bigger picture, the product is right for you.

I will always be open to paying more for a product if it is for the right reasons. And supporting USA manufacturing and jobs is a very good reason. Ronald Reagan said that it is a recession when your neighbor loses his job but it is a depression when you lose yours. Paying more for a quality product is not a bad thing. Don't be blinded by chasing low price like it is your birthright as a consumer, that is short-sighted to your own bigger interests. I would gladly shop at WalMart if they would increase every single item across the board by 40 cents which would pay to cover health insurance to every employee of the company.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 PM
I <Heart> Dirt

They're baaaack...

Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 PM

I received my Silca Impero in the mail today.... It is a thing of beauty and flawlessly smooth.... It works exceedingly well and stores in the frame perfectly.... There is soft silicon rubber where ever the pump meets the bike frame.... This thing was well thought out.... Worth the investment to me....
Old 05-26-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultratoad View Post
I received my Silca Impero in the mail today.... It is a thing of beauty and flawlessly smooth.... It works exceedingly well and stores in the frame perfectly.... There is soft silicon rubber where ever the pump meets the bike frame.... This thing was well thought out.... Worth the investment to me....
You know the drill...photos.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
You know the drill...photos.
x2

What I really want is the chance to try one.