Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2015, 08:17 AM
It An't Me Babe

Every time something deemed as too expensive by the hoi polloi comes to market, the "angry at money" posts abound. Sheesh.

What can I tell ya, don't like it don't buy it 'cos nobody really GAS what you buy but you. Vote with your dollar. If it makes you feel better, look at it as by in your not buying it, you are helping to eventually put them out of business from their abject failure to please you. 'Cos you know better than everyone, they just haven't caught up to you and your perspicacious consumer market savvy.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
Could somebody please enlighten me as to what the difference is between a Campag head and the stock head?

Just ordered a lezyne pocket pump, but am considering returning it once it comes. This looks like a better option (I'm not getting involved in the underlying class argument going on here).
Campagnolo used to make pump heads that fit silcas...most folks replaced the stock silca head with a Campagnolo head. They had two versions...a plastic one similar to the silca and a metal head which was known for durability and for a secure fit.

Silca:

Metal Campy:

Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 AM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
Campagnolo used to make pump heads that fit silcas...most folks replaced the stock silca head with a Campagnolo head. They had two versions...a plastic one similar to the silca and a metal head which was known for durability and for a secure fit.
Ah, thank you.

And the current one appears to come with something superior to what Campagnolo made, or so it appears?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:22 AM
not banished

Ya, that pump is expensive. Would I get it? Probably not.

I'd still pay full retail for that thing over getting a bro deal on carbon clinchers. YMMV, but that's my take.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Ah, thank you.

And the current one appears to come with something superior to what Campagnolo made, or so it appears?
I haven't seen the new silca - I can't comment intelligently. I like that they're being made...and i probably will buy one.

I really prefer having the hose on a frame pump...which is why I like the Morph so much. It looks like crap, but it works so well for me.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Head to Ned

Personally I would not spend $65 for this frame pump, let alone $165.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:37 AM
Riding Along

Part of the backlash here is probably due to our conditioning to accept cheap disposable products that have a short product life. We also are surrounded by marketing that tells us we need the new version of everything every year. Product life cycles are also ridiculously short. "The valve caps on the new Pinarello Dogma 76.4 are 3.7% stiffer than last years model..." Companies make trivial changes to a product and market the hell out of it so that people feel that they are using an older, inferior, and out of date product. The idea of buying fewer, better things that are expected to last and be serviced and not replaced (thrown out), is no longer valued. Seriously, there is social pressure to have new stuff. Drive an older and well maintained car and people will ask you when are you going to get a new car. Got a plastic bike that is a few years old, same deal.

Last edited by Black Dog; 05-19-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Could somebody please enlighten me as to what the difference is between a Campag head and the stock head?

Just ordered a lezyne pocket pump, but am considering returning it once it comes. This looks like a better option (I'm not getting involved in the underlying class argument going on here).
Metal and plastic and for the metal head..a brass threaded portion rather than plastic.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:44 AM

Complain about the price now, and then when one comes up in the classified section lowball the seller really hard.

The Pegoretti series pumps are really cool. I wouldn't pay that much but I am certain that for many Peg owners that pump is a must have.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:47 AM

+1...

I'd want one if I had a Peg.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Broke 2(stripped the plastic screw in plug around shaft), bent one..broke the little tabs off almost immediately..I'm getting one of the Silcas..I'll report back.

Like my Blackburn..works well..but not made any longer. Use a Campag head/older Impero now on Merckx..not more than about 15 years old..works great.
I too like Blackburn full frame pump, I have two. However, when the rubber gasket that the valve stem goes into wears out, there are no replacment?! I contacted Blackburn and they claim they don't have any. Instead, they offered me a mini pump! WTH?! They couldn't provide a piece that probably cost them what, $0.25 cents?! I'm really disappointed as my Blackburn full frame pumps work great, as long as the gasket hasn't worn out.

So, maybe the question for Peter/OP is whether he can get the gasket or knows of a replacement? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2015, 09:26 AM
I <Heart> Dirt

On a semi-related note, Silca's EOLO III is the best CO2 regulator that I've used (and I've used/broken more than my fair share).

No, it's not cheap. No, I didn't pay for it.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
I too like Blackburn full frame pump, I have two. However, when the rubber gasket that the valve stem goes into wears out, there are no replacment?! I contacted Blackburn and they claim they don't have any. Instead, they offered me a mini pump! WTH?! They couldn't provide a piece that probably cost them what, $0.25 cents?! I'm really disappointed as my Blackburn full frame pumps work great, as long as the gasket hasn't worn out.

So, maybe the question for Peter/OP is whether he can get the gasket or knows of a replacement? Thanks!
Sorry, don't. When they made them, if the thing wore out, they would just replace the whole pump..but not made no mas.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:38 AM

The return of the Impero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
yeah, those pumps used to explode and send the handle out like a missile. the thing is, how many new bikes can take a frame pump? ok, most steel and ti bikes can, but really that's a small number...and I assume it will have to be custom painted!

Yeah, same thing happened to me. There was no check valve in the pump and the tube valve stuck open and the whole plunger assembly asploded out the back on a 100 degree day. You also need a lot of strength to pump a tire up over 80 psi with this POS pump. The leather plunger was also crap and didn't seal well.

I don't know how easy it is to pump a tire up to 100 psi with this new pump, but at least they've addressed the check valve problem and the cheap plastic construction.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:41 AM

The return of the Impero

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Personally I would not spend $65 for this frame pump, let alone $165.

I'd like to see a test against a Zefal HPX; still the best full frame pump.