Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2015, 06:32 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by don compton View Post
I own a couple of Rolexes, but the prices of those pumps is insulting one's intelligence.
The price difference between a decent, functional watch and a Rolex is a few zeros. This pump is only double or triple the cost.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
The price difference between a decent, functional watch and a Rolex is a few zeros. This pump is only double or triple the cost.
it will also cost more to service a Rolex than it costs to buy a good serviceable watch and for that manner a silca pump. Servicing the silca is is cheap.

after inflation and maintenance, I'm guessing the return on the silca is better than the average Rolex and is certainly less risky.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 05-19-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by don compton View Post
Your experience with the Silca sales is a shock to me. Is your shop located near the east coast and New York? I live in central California and income levels have not shown an increase that would justify charging those prices for something that would replace a CO2 pump costing $40 and a few canisters bought at a gun shop.
I own a couple of Rolexes, but the prices of those pumps is insulting one's intelligence.
Really, a 'shock'?? Insulting? You are insulted by an expensive bike pump?

Once again, I get it that this thing isn't 'worth it' to you. You could also do your bike rides on a well fitting this and the differences wouldn't be that great. I'd be willing to bet some bike shops in 'central California', could and will sell more than one or two of these.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/allez/allez
Old 05-19-2015, 07:00 AM

I believe that what they have succeeded in doing is producing a pump half as good as a Zefal HPX at six times the cost.....
Old 05-19-2015, 07:02 AM

The criticism of this thing is ridiculous.

It's well-crafted and MUSA and will probably be working as long as you're a cyclist and if you quit the sport, you could pass it on to someone and they would be delighted by the gift.

Most people here ride nice stuff. No one here criticizes anyone for building up a bike with Super Record when 105 works just as well and at 1/8 the cost, but a super nice frame pump that would look great on that bike (and would go along with the chi chi-ness of the SR) and people get all bent out of shape.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:05 AM

The Silca floor pump isn't for me, but if other people like it enough to make the venture a success, I'm happy. Having a name like Silca still active just isn't a bad thing to me.

I'm a fan of the topeak morph for practical frame pumps. I wish it looked like a silca, but it works well for me, which is really what matters.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzthomas View Post
The criticism of this thing is ridiculous.

It's well-crafted and MUSA and will probably be working as long as you're a cyclist and if you quit the sport, you could pass it on to someone and they would be delighted by the gift.

Most people here ride nice stuff. No one here criticizes anyone for building up a bike with Super Record when 105 works just as well and at 1/8 the cost, but a super nice frame pump that would look great on that bike (and would go along with the chi chi-ness of the SR) and people get all bent out of shape.
Especially seeing as 99.5 % of us have never even seen or held it. Much less used it. These same people said that the floor pump would never sell either. They may not sell like the lower end pumps, but they do sell more than a few. I thought when I first saw it that a market may be the builders, seems this one will be also.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
I believe that what they have succeeded in doing is producing a pump half as good as a Zefal HPX at six times the cost.....
Care to show is your comparison test?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:22 AM
ergottWheels

I'll admit to being intrigued enough to try one. My typical gripe with frame pumps is getting a bit of blowout from the head when you get closer to the desired pressure.

There could be something to this if the head is that good and the pump can be service for as long as it's owned.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Broke 2(stripped the plastic screw in plug around shaft), bent one..broke the little tabs off almost immediately..I'm getting one of the Silcas..I'll report back.

Like my Blackburn..works well..but not made any longer. Use a Campag head/older Impero now on Merckx..not more than about 15 years old..works great.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:42 AM

Love the whole new Silca operation. Its great to see someone making nice stuff here in America.

I'll probably replace my Zefal with one of the new Imperos.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:52 AM
Classics Fan

My only question is how to get different colored bands as shown in the pictures on different bikes? That is actually a pretty clever way to customize the pump to match a frame at minimal cost. Unless it costs $20 or more, then I'd feel taken advantage of
Old 05-19-2015, 08:01 AM

I think these pumps are ridiculous.

Why would you put one of these jeweled contraptions on your bike when you're just going to have Sebastian your chauffeur pick you up when you flat anyway???

You do have a chauffeur, right?

Texbike
Old 05-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Broke 2(stripped the plastic screw in plug around shaft), bent one..broke the little tabs off almost immediately..I'm getting one of the Silcas..I'll report back.

Like my Blackburn..works well..but not made any longer. Use a Campag head/older Impero now on Merckx..not more than about 15 years old..works great.
Could somebody please enlighten me as to what the difference is between a Campag head and the stock head?

Just ordered a lezyne pocket pump, but am considering returning it once it comes. This looks like a better option (I'm not getting involved in the underlying class argument going on here).
Old 05-19-2015, 08:11 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
(I'm not getting involved in the underlying class argument going on here).
I won't answer your question until you weigh in.

Kidding, never used the Campagnolo head.