Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2015, 05:50 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I could see paying that amount for a good, well made pump. It's an item that will last literally forever if you take care of it.
I think I agree with this, but IMO a pump that's to be used out on the road (or anywhere else, for that matter) is way better if it has a hose and not a direct connection to the valve stem. That one (like the original) doesn't seem to.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:27 PM
I <Heart> Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
What did a freehub cost in 75-76?

No snark, serous question. I wasn't alive.
We only had freewheels. Regina Oro were the hot ticket at the time, but I only had a cheapo Maillard.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
We only had freewheels. Regina Oro were the hot ticket at the time, but I only had a cheapo Maillard.
Yeah, I meant yo type freewheel. What did a Regina cost in comparison to a silca and how does that compare to a cassette today?
Old 05-18-2015, 07:41 PM
I <Heart> Dirt

Quote:
Yeah, I meant yo type freewheel. What did a Regina cost in comparison to a silca and how does that compare to a cassette today?
Honestly, I don't remember. I do recall that a Universal Super-68 brakeset sold for $25, though.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
I was thinking more globally...It really seems like a lot of companies are abandoning making good solid, well designed merchandise at good price points for the masses. Instead they're making over priced jewelry that appeals to frivolous people with a lot of disposable income....and they're marketing it to "sell down" to the masses. The business of marketing is to sell stuff they don't need to people for more than they can afford.

I've become pretty cynical about American capitalism. I started out my college career as an economic history major. It didn't take me long to become thoroughly disgusted with hindsight turning into foresight.
People talk about Tinkoff like there's no American analog.
We're the worst system in the world...

except for all of the others.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:41 PM

A Regina Oro freewheel was about fifteen bucks in 1975. I still have a brand new one in 13 X 17.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I think I agree with this, but IMO a pump that's to be used out on the road (or anywhere else, for that matter) is way better if it has a hose and not a direct connection to the valve stem. That one (like the original) doesn't seem to.
I had a slow leak the other day...pulled out the mini and got it to about 95 psi, who knows, but it was good, fly down the mountain and 10 minutes later, I was a the bike shop and filled it to 120 to get home.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
A Regina Oro freewheel was about fifteen bucks in 1975. I still have a brand new one in 13 X 17.
So the silca cost more than the best freewheel of the era and the new silca costs less than a top level cassette? At least the pump isn't a consumable.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:01 PM

I'd want the impero painted to match.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
So the silca cost more than the best freewheel of the era and the new silca costs less than a top level cassette? At least the pump isn't a consumable.
A Silca frame pump with Campy steel head was $17.50 at the time. The best freewheels at that time were the Regina titanium at an eye-watering $150.00, and the Millard 700 ergal was a meager $100.00.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:14 PM
Vendor

We are a Silca dealer, as well as Pegoretti, so I can add a bit more info to the thread. The Silca Super Pista Ultimate has been well received and is selling well at $450. The Artist Edition, $900, by Pegoretti, was sold out quickly and another shipment is on the way with a portion pre-sold. Dario loves the Silca pump and will paint pumps to match new frame orders. He will also paint pump tubes to match your older frames. Silca is expanding the Artist Series to other custom builders so you can order a frame with matching pump. At this price they are clearly not for everyone but it's like ordering matching, fitted luggage for your Ferrari.
The Impero was introduced today and we have a couple on order. I'll let you know our thoughts once it arrives. There is no Campy head option. It's only available in black at this time but look for the Artist Series to be expanded for this model too.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:13 PM

I not going to lie, if the super pista ultimate were on the market when I was in need of a pump, I might have given in. Lord willing, I've got a lot of riding days left in my life.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:42 PM

Thumbs down New Silca?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
We are a Silca dealer, as well as Pegoretti, so I can add a bit more info to the thread. The Silca Super Pista Ultimate has been well received and is selling well at $450. The Artist Edition, $900, by Pegoretti, was sold out quickly and another shipment is on the way with a portion pre-sold. Dario loves the Silca pump and will paint pumps to match new frame orders. He will also paint pump tubes to match your older frames. Silca is expanding the Artist Series to other custom builders so you can order a frame with matching pump. At this price they are clearly not for everyone but it's like ordering matching, fitted luggage for your Ferrari.
The Impero was introduced today and we have a couple on order. I'll let you know our thoughts once it arrives. There is no Campy head option. It's only available in black at this time but look for the Artist Series to be expanded for this model too.
Your experience with the Silca sales is a shock to me. Is your shop located near the east coast and New York? I live in central California and income levels have not shown an increase that would justify charging those prices for something that would replace a CO2 pump costing $40 and a few canisters bought at a gun shop.
I own a couple of Rolexes, but the prices of those pumps is insulting one's intelligence.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:10 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
pumps are consumable. their secondary function is warding off; dogs, pickup trucks and Bloomington bred I-tey wannabe racers...
Old 05-19-2015, 06:16 AM

Meh....Elliott Spitzer has paid WAY more for an "inflation" job....