Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
2 or 3 wraps...warm some lindseed oil, dump it down the seat tube. About 2-3 ounces. Could be crappy mitering of the seat tube.
Thanks, I only wrapped it once. I will redo it and if that doesn't work I will try the Linseed oil. Thanks again.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:16 PM

Pedals?

Pedal bearings?
Worn cleats?
Clear bolts tight.
Does headset top cap have a proper gap so it doesn't bottom out?
Old 05-16-2015, 07:19 PM

Thanks to everyone that has tried to help. I really appreciate it and I will recheck some of the mentioned things tomorrow. Something has to help unless the Lemon law applies here! It's a great ride, just noisy.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
I have a Roark Ti road bike (pictured in the photos from rides section) and it has a seemingly terminal case of Ti creak. I have applied anti-seize paste and teflon tape at the BB, anti-seize paste at the seatpost, derailleur hanger is dead on (I have the tool), all torque specs dead on (I have a click type torque wrench), spoke tension is uniform and good (I have a spoke tensiometer), bearing preload is good, shifting is perfect up and down, rear quick release is an internal-cam Ultegra and is tight, but no matter what I try, the bike sounds like a freight train coming thru, Anyone have any other ideas?

Old Potatoe, you recommended the teflon tape at the BB earlier on another thread. I applied it but maybe didn't use enough. It's wrapped the right direction, but how many times around the BB threads should I go? Any ideas about Ti creak??
I had this issue with a Ti Frame and it ended up being the front derailleur clamp (to use a braze on front derailleur with a non-braze on frame). Maybe take it off, clean it, and reinstall it and see what happens. I replaced my Shimano clamp with a K-edge and it solved the issue.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:38 PM

The creaking on my old TST ti frame went away after I greased between the rear QR nuts and the frame. Had to do it once a year to keep it quiet. But worked.

Took me a loooooong time to find the source of that creak...
Old 05-16-2015, 09:55 PM
You still here?

Another, rather remote possibility would be a frame crack. I'd minutely examine every square centimeter of your frame looking for cracks.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
Yes, thanks. front QR is new and tight.
Make sure it is well lubed. I had a creak that I was sure was the BB but found that cleaning and lubing the front QR made it go away. I had discounted the QR at first after making sure it was tight as well.

Tim
Old 05-17-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
Another, rather remote possibility would be a frame crack. I'd minutely examine every square centimeter of your frame looking for cracks.
Yes, I thought of this. I put the frame up in the workstand and checked everywhere with a cleaning cloth and a flashlight. Later on, I did the check again because I thought I may have missed something. To no avail, everything looks great on the frame (unless there is some crack that opens up while riding but is not visible otherwise) Thanks for the comment!
Old 05-17-2015, 06:59 AM

So here's a question for you all. When discussing this with the manager at my LBS, he said to make sure there was absolutely no lube at the QR/frame interface. I hadn't lubed that area ever, but should that be lubed? My guess is no, but maybe I am wrong.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
make sure it is well lubed. I had a creak that i was sure was the bb but found that cleaning and lubing the front qr made it go away. I had discounted the qr at first after making sure it was tight as well.

Tim
+1.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:23 AM
ZhugeLiang

dcama pal, did you check for creaks coming out of the "rider" himself?

I think you are getting closer and closer to solving the puzzle, the main thing is don't give up, keep lookin'.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:45 AM

Riding the bike on an indoor trainer might help nail this down. Much easier for someone else to listen and observe as you pedal.

Try swapping out known culprits like QRs, wheels, seat post, one at a time--then ride and see if a problem remains.

Last edited by pbarry; 05-17-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Riding the bike on an indoor trainer might help nail this down. Much easier for someone else to listen and observe as you pedal.

Try swapping out known culprits like QRs, wheels, seat post, one at a time--then ride and see if a problem remains.
This is an outstanding idea, and 1 I have never thought of!
Old 05-17-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
dcama pal, did you check for creaks coming out of the "rider" himself?

I think you are getting closer and closer to solving the puzzle, the main thing is don't give up, keep lookin'.
My wife thinks that, at my age, you may be right. The creaks may be old age showing up on the rides.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:53 AM

This may be way off base but I had a similar problem a while back. I was finally able to track it down to movement between the saddle shell and saddle rails. For all the world the creak sounded like it was coming from the b.b/cranks.