Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2014, 07:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
Huh? What's that got to do with diesel trucks?
Mr Ride flexing his political muscle once again. Remember, the video was first. The black helicopters are next. I'm surprised he didn't add something about 'frns' in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dont-tread-on-me-flag.jpg (19.6 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 07-09-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
"Your Liberty To Swing Your Fist Ends Just Where My Nose Begins"

It's simply about hating cyclists and I don't get it.

I had a debate at my office yesterday. Two of us are avid cyclists. Two others started talking how they'd like to run cyclists over and "1000 points for hitting a cyclist", and how cyclists should be on the sidewalk or not out at all.

It's amazing (and I told them)... they'd slam on their brakes for a rabbit or swerve for a deer, but they want to kill any cyclist instead of tapping their brakes or moving their steering wheel 3 millimeters to the left. I've had it with people like that. No respect for human life.
I don't think they hate cyclists so much. For the coal rollers it is what it is, ignorant dumb asses lashing out at something different and mostly just following their friends lead doing what they think is cool and makes them feel important/manly/what have you in the eyes of their equally dumb ass friends. It's another version of hitting mail boxes with a baseball bat while hanging out the window.

The bigger concern for me is the everyday angry driver. I don't think it's hate there either as much as lack of understanding. They don't ride and probably don't know many if any that do, so there is no emotional connection. Combine that with the perceived or real holding them up/making them late. Your right to be there vs their right not to be held up. They pay road taxes, etc, etc...

I had an interesting discussion with the mother of a friend of my daugethers about cyclists on the road to my house. It's a two lane black top with zero shoulder and rolling shallow rises and curves. Speed limit is 30, bikes with average riders will average 12-14 up to low 20s on the down hills. She is educated beyond college, works and is a person most of you would enjoy spending time with. She was amazed that anyone would ride on that road. She wasn't so much angry that she was being held up as she felt like they put her in a position of danger having to pass them. I get her argument and I don't and wouldn't ride that road, but I fully appreciate everyone's right to do it. I'm behind bikes on that road all the time and the longest I've ever been held up was at peak traffic times and maybe a minute or two at most. I think cycling is so foreign to most adults in the US that they just don't know what to think and they respond with the tools they have and for many that is anger.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
I'm pretty sure it was in this very forum that someone mentioned ignorant rednecks chip their diesels to belch black smoke.

Slate confirms it
Right, and so with that by my tally we are now at about the 134th sign that the end is nigh.

I feel so badly for my children sometimes. This is the world we gave them.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post

It's amazing (and I told them)... they'd slam on their brakes for a rabbit or swerve for a deer, but they want to kill any cyclist instead of tapping their brakes or moving their steering wheel 3 millimeters to the left. I've had it with people like that. No respect for human life.
I've said the same thing. It is really amazing isn't it.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:36 PM

Redneck D -bag.........sad there are people who find this humorous

https://instagram.com/p/3IWI_4GK7-/
Old 05-26-2015, 05:43 PM
It An't Me Babe

That second cyclist in green, raised fist (or digit) in protest - big mistake. Never react and let an imbecile know he got 'yer goat. Never.

That swarth of black smoke isn't enough to irritate me - not enough of it, try 100 meters of it instead 'cos I can hold my breath for the 2 seconds it takes me for my forward velocity to get me outta that cloud of smoke. NBD.

Fool in the truck won't know what 100 meters is.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:45 PM

I read recently about a state voting to make rolling coal a crime. Does anyone know which one?
Old 05-26-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I looked this up when I got smoked a few years ago. There was no acceleration, just a slight change in engine note and a nearly perfectly cylindrical cloud of smoke from the truck's exhaust. Then the driver went back to a normal setting. I was familiar with "chips" or "performance modules" from my days as the owner of an American performance car.

google will confirm it, no reason to go to slate for confirmation. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ce+chip+tuners
Any chip worth buying will allow you to go with stock tune, a lean tune, a slightly rich tune. Pathetic antisocial morons will add a tune that dumps way too much fuel, and thus get smoke. These are people that are seething with impotent rage due to the fact that they areally are pretty worthless to society when it comes right down to it. Many of them hang the only pair of nuts they own on their hitch. You can't buy manhood.
Well written, true and funny as well.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post
I read recently about a state voting to make rolling coal a crime. Does anyone know which one?

New Jersey. http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/13/r...in-new-jersey/
Old 05-26-2015, 09:04 PM

I got coal rolled on last summer for the first time while riding across iowa. I actually though it was pretty funny.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
hey, good for us.

i cant imagine why in these days of emissions regulations, why this WOULDNT be illegal in all states though?
Old 05-26-2015, 09:14 PM
Randomhead

I got this treatment again, and it wasn't funny at all. Serious amount of soot, and impossible to do anything about it but breathe in toxic unburnt crap. Unfortunately didn't get an ID on the truck, I'm pretty sure it was someone fairly local to me so I'm hoping to change that.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 PM

This happened to me last summer, but I didn't know there was a name for it. I was riding on a secondary road, as close to the berm as possible. The white Dodge diesel blew a huge cloud of black smoke on me. Needless to say I was hot! Another mile or so and I came to the bridge where I take a breather before heading home. Alas, what was parked there but the Dodge truck. I rode right up to the driver and asked him what I was doing wrong. He said "nothing, Why?" I said that he practically blinded me. He replied that the truck needed a tune up and the injectors were dirty. All the while, he and his buddy acted real busy unloading kyaks. I think that when he saw my age(75), he was concerned. I felt 10 ft tall and bulletproof, but he could have probably whipped me, but he would have worked for it. If we had tangled, I might be driving a late model Dodge diesel today. I hope that the encounter made him think twice before doing it again. I haven't seen him yet this year
Old 05-27-2015, 05:48 AM

I'm fortunate not to have had this happen to me, have had plenty of "friendly" folks speed up right when they get by to do kind of the same thing, though, or maybe the miscreants near me don't use the interwebs as much..

I'll stray a bit, but I find it interesting that Europe is using diesel passenger cars now, as they've been made extremely efficient, while here in US they're uncommon except for pickup trucks. Also why is there no effective price difference in diesel given the relative easier time in refining it. Yes, I know it's a commodity and we pay what the market will bear, and commercial trucks don't really have a choice, just always struck me strange.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
I'm fortunate not to have had this happen to me, have had plenty of "friendly" folks speed up right when they get by to do kind of the same thing, though, or maybe the miscreants near me don't use the interwebs as much..

I'll stray a bit, but I find it interesting that Europe is using diesel passenger cars now, as they've been made extremely efficient, while here in US they're uncommon except for pickup trucks. Also why is there no effective price difference in diesel given the relative easier time in refining it. Yes, I know it's a commodity and we pay what the market will bear, and commercial trucks don't really have a choice, just always struck me strange.
VW has sold a ton of TDIs(I have a Jetta)in the US and it is not possible to make the engine do this, It just doesn't smoke..even at really low RPMs, and putting my foot in it. I know the numbers are small compared to Europe where small diesel cars/vans/station wagons are everywhere..and fuel is about $8 per gallon.

Around here, diesel is w/i about $.05 of regular gas..one place down the street, diesel is actually less..something about the majority of diesel going to big highway trucks, cars, and the demand rising and falling, or something..