Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2014, 03:07 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
That Cummins looks like it might be using OR diesel, same as #2 fuel oil, and illegal in all 50 states for road use.

That said, don't know why you chose to go "there" in your last sentence.
OR diesel is the same thing as highway without the tax. The red dye is to indicate there has been no road tax paid. Its been alot of years since it was different.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
That Cummins looks like it might be using OR diesel, same as #2 fuel oil, and illegal in all 50 states for road use.

That said, don't know why you chose to go "there" in your last sentence.
what is OR diesel? Agricultural diesel is red, basically the same just dyed so it can be detected because no road taxes have been added. It's what I used to use in my diesel boat. Marinas sell it because it doesn't have the added tax, but it burns exactly the same. Huge fine for using it on the highway. State troopers used to periodically check trucks for red diesel during stops.

It's really sad going through life an ignorant dumb ass is no way to live. (directed toward the "coal rollers"
Old 07-07-2014, 11:52 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
It's really sad going through life an ignorant dumb ass is no way to live. (directed toward the "coal rollers"
HaHa! Ain't it the truth, well at least evident to anyone but a "coal roller".

'Cos part of the skill of staying an ignorant dumb ass is the self delusion in thinkin' that being a ignorant dumb ass is somehow not in fact being an ignorant dumb ass. Easy to do - just keep company only with other ignorant dumb asses. Consider it as water seeking its own level. Or call it security in dunders.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:42 PM

Last edited by binxnyrwarrsoul; 09-27-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxnyrwarrsoul View Post
So ignorant that they're ignorant of their own ignorance.

Love the pic of the hitch "sack." Wonder if the blue color has any meaning.
Bumper sticker seen....
"Nice truck, sorry about the penis"
Old 07-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Cranky!

Since we are talking about this . . .

The popular modifications (injectors, exhaust, fuel management software) do not inevitably cause the huge clouds of soot. "Rolling coal" is almost always a deliberate act, combining high throttle input with and upshift (tall gearing, low rpm). Stepping on the throttle when you are overgeared results in poor acceleration . . . and clouds of black soot.

In that classic youtube clip of the jerk "rolling" the cyclists on a Colorado mountain road, as best I can tell, the driver is upshifting every time he passes a cyclist.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:29 PM

A bit of a tangent here but there seems to be antipathy and antagonism of anyone who seems to try to 'do the right thing'. I use reusable bags at the grocery store. I keep them in my car and bring a few in when I go. I got called out by a friend who observed this practice as an environmental wacko. ···? Just seems like common sense and most stores actually credit you a nickel per bag for using them.

Sorry for the off track but whoever it was who mentioned ignorance is spot on.

I don't do it for the nicely but that doesn't suck either.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:46 PM

for whatever it may be worth, I have a friend who last year was in the market for a used heavy duty diesel work truck for his business. In his price range, he was looking at used trucks, many with a lot of miles & many with various computer/chip/intake/exhaust/programmable/etc. modifications. It was an eye opener to me to hear him report back (I was providing some mechanical/purchase advice) how many were owned buy young guys who had spent good money adding a chip setting so the truck could 'roll coal'...I didn't know what that meant at the time, but I was familiar with kids with modified diesels throwing gratuitous amounts of over-fueling into their engines & the smoke that it developed. I always thought they were just dumbasses who had mismatched performance mods...it didn't occur to me they actually thought that was cool. My friend steered himself towards a truck that had a programmable chip that does a lot of useful stuff, none of which involves over-richening the engine or producing gratuitous smoke!

I see botched attempts at rolling coal on pacelines every now & then and try to muster empathy for what it must be like to go through life with anatomical inadequacies! haha
Old 07-07-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
I was backing up your comment, in a diplomatically ambiguous way. At least that's what I was trying to do.
Ha! Ttotally went over my head. Subtle but I get it.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
what is OR diesel? Agricultural diesel is red, basically the same just dyed so it can be detected because no road taxes have been added. It's what I used to use in my diesel boat. Marinas sell it because it doesn't have the added tax, but it burns exactly the same. Huge fine for using it on the highway. State troopers used to periodically check trucks for red diesel during stops.

Current standards: Off road diesel has a Sulfur content of 500 ppm, and on-road is15 ppm. "Old" diesel was all the same but for the road tax: 5,000ppm.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Current standards: Off road diesel has a Sulfur content of 500 ppm, and on-road is15 ppm. "Old" diesel was all the same but for the road tax: 5,000ppm.

thx. I had no idea, also didn't know the sulfur was that high or that it is now that low. OR is off road, is that the same as agricultural or do they even use that term anymore?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Administrator

this is an eyeopener for me. never knew people did this?? it hurts my engineering brain to think that people intentionally WANT their diesels to smoke. just crazy.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
thx. I had no idea, also didn't know the sulfur was that high or that it is now that low. OR is off road, is that the same as agricultural or do they even use that term anymore?
Right?? The old stuff was really toxic, especially in cities.

Ag and off road diesel are one in the same. Nomenclature varies widely.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Administrator

the way i understand it is the "old stuff" is just called diesel, the "new stuff" is ULSD (ultra low sulfer diesel).
Old 07-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I got called out by a friend who observed this practice as an environmental wacko. ···?
This might be because deep down inside the friend feels guilty about not caring as much as you do. After all, why in the world would someone else give you a hard time for doing something that could not possible hurt them?