Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2015, 07:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
He's a new product in the biz, customer repellant

I couldn't imagine having the misfortune of being approved to purchase a replacement spoke from the guy. Dealing with him seems like a joy. Life is too short and I'm too busy to jump through this guys hoops
He has 'cranks' on his list of 'not allowed'...but he's a Campagnolo Pro Shop? How does Dan at Campagnolo NA approve this guy as a Campagnolo Pro Shop..when he won't sell a bike with carbon components(like most of Campagnolo)???
Old 05-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
He has 'cranks' on his list of 'not allowed'...but he's a Campagnolo Pro Shop? How does Dan at Campagnolo NA approve this guy as a Campagnolo Pro Shop..when he won't sell a bike with carbon components(like most of Campagnolo)???
I would imagine that website is updated about as often as a Civil War map.

I would also imagine that the guy is probably a wealth of knowledge about many things bike, and is thought of by most of his cliental as their beloved bike curmudgeon.

To people outside of his face to face orbit, that website is doing him no favors. I doubt he cares much.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:49 AM
The B!

One of you who know and love him should invite him on the board.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:52 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin View Post
I would imagine that website is updated about as often as a Civil War map.

I would also imagine that the guy is probably a wealth of knowledge about many things bike, and is thought of by most of his cliental as their beloved bike curmudgeon.

To people outside of his face to face orbit, that website is doing him no favors. I doubt he cares much.
Wow this is pretty much spot on from my observation.

Aaron has a devoted crowd of folks riding internal geared hubs, commuting, urban bikes and he's actually I think a pretty good resource for the folks in the community that he has located his shop - White Center - a lower income, sometimes considered "wrong side of the tracks" close in suburb of Seattle.

No one in the "cycling community" would go to Aaron for a high zoot part or bike. But if you want your dynamo hub wired to run front and rear racks and a USB port so you can put your phone in your handlebar bag and have it charge while you're riding along, then Aaron is a pretty good choice. Need a Rohloff or other internal hub rebuilt, go see Aaron. Still running 6,7,8 speed gears - go see Aaron for parts and repairs. Will only a McGyver approach keep that old machine on the road, go see ....

But yes, going and seeing Aaron can often mean putting up with strong opinions not withheld. Good mechanic, a bit rough on the people skills, but he's been in business for a long time, so if that's what success looks like to him and on his terms, well ...if he's good with that who am I to question ....
Old 05-24-2015, 11:44 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
But yes, going and seeing Aaron can often mean putting up with strong opinions not withheld. Good mechanic, a bit rough on the people skills, but he's been in business for a long time, so if that's what success looks like to him and on his terms, well ...if he's good with that who am I to question ....
Sounds like a great guy and not meant in anyway sarcastically. There is a lot to be said for real people and real personalities. Most modern day consumers weaned and coddled by the the obsequious code of corporate retail blandness can't handle anything outside of butt-kiss servitude - which is not the typical MO of the independents. Good on Aaron.

Only way to find out if he's more trouble than he's worth is to try him and see.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:48 PM

That picture of the chainstay with the reflector in it makes it hard to disagree with him.........
Old 05-25-2015, 09:42 PM

Did you notice that he's hiring? Think he'd be a tough guy to work for?

http://www.rideyourbike.com/helpwanted.shtml
Old 05-25-2015, 10:31 PM

Old 05-25-2015, 11:58 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
Sounds like a great guy and not meant in anyway sarcastically. There is a lot to be said for real people and real personalities. Most modern day consumers weaned and coddled by the the obsequious code of corporate retail blandness can't handle anything outside of butt-kiss servitude - which is not the typical MO of the independents. Good on Aaron.

Only way to find out if he's more trouble than he's worth is to try him and see.

There's a shop in Oceanside called Pacific Coast Cycles run by Chuck. Chuck is one of the most knowledgable guys I've ever spoke to about bikes, but he is opinionated and will tell you if he thinks you're wrong. If I was still living in San Diego County, Chuck would be my go-to bike shop in a heartbeat... Of course being in the military for 22 years has given me a bit of thick skin, so others may have a different opinion...
Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post

I think the issue for ME, is that in this day and age, the first thing you do to find a bike shop is do an interweb search. The idea is to get them into the store, and then let them decide. I think his web site turns a lot of people away. I'm a pretty cranky guy too(really?), but I wouldn't go in there. Maybe to argue(?) but not as my bike shop. He can have in in person opinions, cumudgeon-ess, whatever, but he should wish to get people into the shop first, IMHO.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I think the issue for ME, is that in this day and age, the first thing you do to find a bike shop is do an interweb search. The idea is to get them into the store, and then let them decide.( . . . )
Patrick8037's comment that the attitude was from 1998 wasn't that far off. I recall seeing this exact web page well over 10 years ago, maybe on this forum, maybe on bustedcarbon.com, I can't remember.

What strikes me now is the change in attitude. Back then the jury was still out on carbon. People would point at this web page and say "See? This guy won't touch the stuff!" Now, the page only elicits derision and ridicule. The market has moved on, and this web page is now "customer unfriendly".

The only thing that hasn't changed over the last 10 years is people still hesitate to ride any carbon part that's been in a crash, even when it looks completely undamaged . . .

Last edited by dgauthier; 05-26-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:56 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
If I was still living in San Diego County, Chuck would be my go-to bike shop in a heartbeat... Of course being in the military for 22 years has given me a bit of thick skin, so others may have a different opinion...
Quote:
I think the issue for ME, is that in this day and age, the first thing you do to find a bike shop is do an interweb search. The idea is to get them into the store, and then let them decide. I think his web site turns a lot of people away. I'm a pretty cranky guy too(really?), but I wouldn't go in there. Maybe to argue(?) but not as my bike shop. He can have in in person opinions, cumudgeon-ess, whatever, but he should wish to get people into the shop first, IMHO.
Yes, both completely valid points. And I'd be the first to admit that a customer's experience and confidence has a lot to do with how good or bad an experience with a curmudgeon-shop might turn out to be. Somebody gruff perhaps comes across differently to somebody who knows stuff versus somebody who'd like to be advised or guided. And for me, web sites aren't that important but proximity is - so if I gotta travel an hour or two to get to a bike shop I darn well better know why I'm making the trip.

If Aaron has a specialty in a hard-to-find expertise, it might be a customer's only option. Then get the service and enjoy the "experience". Kinda like my few experiences with R&A in Brooklyn - their B.S. didn't bother me because I got what I needed and got outta there.

As far as carbon or not carbon - who cares? Ride whatcha want, no such thing as perfect in anything in stuff made by man.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:48 PM

I've been in that shop. Once.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:18 AM

Obviously, you weren't pre-qualified for a replacement spoke purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I've been in that shop. Once.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 PM

Two (prima facie contradictory, but not really) thoughts:

1. For the typical customer of Aaron's Bicycle Repair - which seems to be the urban commuter who wants a bike that he or she doesn't want to worry about, will work day after day and, if something breaks, can be repaired easily - the "stay away from carbon" message is probably apt.

2. I've seen, and been involved in, my fair share of crashes over 20 plus years riding. I've also seen lots of carbon failures, including three recent broken chainstays. In my personal experience, none of the latter has caused the former.