Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2015, 07:16 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netdewt View Post
I'm mostly annoyed with people calling into question the viability of diesel as a fuel in any capacity.

If the software update ruins my mileage, I'll be getting aftermarket software...
Medium to long term, that's where it's going.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:20 PM
n - 1

Quote:
...If the software update ruins my mileage, I'll be getting aftermarket software...
So that you're back to out of compliance emission levels again? Sounds pretty irresponsible.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
So that you're back to out of compliance emission levels again? Sounds pretty irresponsible.
The VAST majority of cars on the road pollute more than a TDI. NOx emissions on the TDI meet european standards, which are generally stricter on pollution than even california. If you're driving an electric car in an area fed with hydro power, or a VERY few other cars, you have room to criticize, otherwise, not so much.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
The VAST majority of cars on the road pollute more than a TDI. NOx emissions on the TDI meet european standards, which are generally stricter on pollution than even california. If you're driving an electric car in an area fed with hydro power, or a VERY few other cars, you have room to criticize, otherwise, not so much.
Can you link to the European standards? Can you link to California's standards? Can you let me know precisely how much the TDI is emitting as it's currently configured?
Old 09-21-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I'm mostly annoyed with people calling into question the viability of diesel as a fuel in any capacity.

If the software update ruins my mileage, I'll be getting aftermarket software...
I read somewhere it would affect mileage by 1-2% Not enough to notice. What you will notice is your NOx trap being replaced every 30k miles.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:39 PM

Decent rundown of the situation here. It doesn't seem clear to me what is and isn't effected. I'm not sure anyone knows yet. It seems like a big mess.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:40 PM

I just came back from the BMW dealer with a pending trade on my '13 TDI wagon for a m235i...seriously.

I wonder if I will get better hwy mileage in it that I would've with whatever recall 'fix' VW comes up with.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering all dealers know and are killing us on trades, so if I were you and you're considering a trade-in now is not a good itme. Just hold onto it and get the fix done and hope for the best.

I decided to get out while I could. Whole thing is sickening.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:45 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Actually, I'll bet some people did die. Or at least they died a little bit earlier than they might have otherwise

Everybody dies eventually. The difference is, how long they live before they die. A few cars that crash may cause a few people to die much earlier than they might otherwise. Many cars with bad emissions may cause many people to die a little bit earlier than they would have otherwise.
O brother, I'm out of this one, what balderdash. How many cars are there on the road world wide? What percentage are VW TDI? What impact do places like China and India have on death and pollution and dying early? Big picture please, not VW TDI killing somebody. So ya really think these TDIs are directly responsible for somebody dying early...Yee-farging-gads.

I'm out.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Can you link to the European standards? Can you link to California's standards? Can you let me know precisely how much the TDI is emitting as it's currently configured?
The article I linked to earlier spoke to this. I'll let you scroll back.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:53 PM

Wait, I'm confused...
The article you linked (if it is the Bloomberg one) says that the US emission standars are more stringent than Europe.

"Mock, European managing director of a little-known clean-air group, suggested replicating the tests in the U.S. The U.S. has higher emissions standards than the rest of the world and a history of enforcing them, so Mock and his American counterpart, John German, were sure the U.S. versions of the vehicles would pass the emissions tests, German said. That way, they reasoned, they could show Europeans it was possible for diesel cars to run clean."

What am I missing?

Quote:
Old 09-21-2015, 07:58 PM

I have never thought much of VW cars. I had two weak moments, one back in '68 when I bought a bug ('66 model), and a used Audi 5000 in '87. Never again. They are a button hole short of junk.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I read the article earlier. Unless I missed something, it doesn't include the information that I asked about. Did I miss something?
Old 09-21-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
There's no sport mode.
uh, yes there is. put it in S. that's the "sport" mapping for the DSG. the "manu-matic' mode sucks atmo, slow to shift.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I read the article earlier. Unless I missed something, it doesn't include the information that I asked about. Did I miss something?
my bad, I posted a different article than I meant to. I'll update tomorrow, when I'm not watching a hockey game.

Anyway, Europeans are generally stricter about emissions.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:16 PM

If you still had that '66 you'd be surprised how much it'd be worth.

An acquaintance restores old VWs, especially vans. Old buses and newer (80's/90's) Vanagons more specifically. You'd choke if you knew how much those things go for, esp. the more rare/desirable models. He ships 'em all over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
I have never thought much of VW cars. I had two weak moments, one back in '68 when I bought a bug ('66 model), and a used Audi 5000 in '87. Never again. They are a button hole short of junk.

Tags
autoscam, boring threads