Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2021, 12:07 PM

Speedvagen Rugged'er Road

https://www.speedvagen.com/the-ruggeder-road

I'd ride it! I can't afford it though...

I know the fork choice is controversial, but painting it to match helps a lot with the aesthetics to me.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:14 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
https://www.speedvagen.com/the-ruggeder-road

I'd ride it! I can't afford it though...

I know the fork choice is controversial, but painting it to match helps a lot with the aesthetics to me.
Speaking of $12,000 bikes, amirite

Edit: Speaking of $12k versions of 2007 29ers.

Last edited by EB; 10-12-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:32 PM

Bicycles cost a lot these days. I don't know exactly how those parts add up to 12k

looks like a fun bicycle though, I love a monstercross / drop bar 29er
Old 10-12-2021, 12:39 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Bicycles cost a lot these days. I don't know exactly how those parts add up to 12k

looks like a fun bicycle though, I love a monstercross / drop bar 29er
I was just trolling that epic Crux thread by proxy. Knowing Speedvagen, this is probably quite a bit more than $12k, honestly.

I don't hate it. The new Mosaic GT-X is a similar idea. But design-wise, these are not similar to, but almost exactly 29ers from 2007. Only differences are thru-axles, and compatibility with drop handlebars (and perhaps 5mm of q-factor if they were able to avoid using a 73mm BB shell). Those 2007 29ers didn't have the best reputation for their handling, but perhaps now that people think of them as gravel bikes rather than mountain bikes, that won't matter as much.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:44 PM

might not be far off

"Custom Rugged’ed Road Frameset’s start at $6695.00 and include Frame, RockShox Rudy Fork, Enve made carbon seat post head in either 20mm or 0mm offset. Each Rugged’ed Road comes standard with 3 sets of bottle cage bosses and is 1x specific. Available with the new Sram XPLR group or Mullet shown. Lastly, our Moto Scheme has been on the secret menu for about a year and now it’s ready from prime time. Available on any custom Speedvagen for $1250.00."

so that picture is of a 8k frameset, add enve wheels and a wireless group and I think 12k might be about right.

So, which one would we prefer? a Sworks crux or this thing?

I think I would go for this thing, looks more fun to me and when I crash it I won't be all paranoid and in need of an ultrasound to check if my frame is going to kill me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
I was just trolling that epic Crux thread by proxy. Knowing Speedvagen, this is probably quite a bit more than $12k, honestly.

I don't hate it. The new Mosaic GT-X is a similar idea. But design-wise, these are not similar to, but almost exactly 29ers from 2007. Only differences are thru-axles, and compatibility with drop handlebars (and perhaps 5mm of q-factor if they were able to avoid using a 73mm BB shell). Those 2007 29ers didn't have the best reputation for their handling, but perhaps now that people think of them as gravel bikes rather than mountain bikes, that won't matter as much.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:

The one difference I see from this and say, my 2008 El Mariachi, is that the chainstays aren't a mile long because we aren't trying to compensate for the too-steep head angle on rough singletrack. Ironically enough, I preferred that bike as a drop bar MTB with an 80mm fork to any of its other myriad configurations.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:58 PM

I think it looks supremely fun and extraordinarily overpriced. I am planning something like this myself (with a rigid fork) in the next six months for less than half that price.

The proportions look perfect on that bike, as always for Speedvagen
Old 10-12-2021, 01:02 PM

Or, you could save yourself thousands of dollars, and get a really cool MUSA "dropkicker" from one of the most talented frame builders around, with an added bonus of truly exceptional customer service mixed in.

http://www.obikeco.com/thebikes/dropkicker

Your choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-Grinduro-Olivetti-Drop-Bar-MTB-12.jpg (106.2 KB, 562 views)
Old 10-12-2021, 01:03 PM

As I commented on their IG - we need SV to come up with an ISP dropper-post for this.. or else to graft a cobble-gobbler head into their mast-cap.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:03 PM

This looks like a blast.

I'd want two changes:

1) Rig up dynamo lighting
2) Sub out the chainstays - I had a bike with these and thought they rode stiff laterally and soft side to side vs my current ride. I didn't care for it, and it wouldn't be my first choice on a bike looking for off-road compliance. The suspension and squishy tires would help, though.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:06 PM

Dropper post, custom paint.. #everythingsbeendone

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik...392403100.html

Accounting for inflation (transitory or otherwise) relative to wage growth - which one was more expensive at its release?
Old 10-12-2021, 01:16 PM

I'd imagine the angles make a big difference in how all these ride, depending on what kind of riding they're used for. Peter Verdone, for all his rough edges, has been doing some really interesting stuff with frame angles. It's not the profile of riding that I do, but nice to see all the experimentation going on, both in terms of the bike itself and the price ceiling.

Old 10-12-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Dropper post, custom paint.. #everythingsbeendone

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik...392403100.html

Accounting for inflation (transitory or otherwise) relative to wage growth - which one was more expensive at its release?
That stem defies all imagination.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
So, which one would we prefer? a Sworks crux or this thing?

I think I would go for this thing, looks more fun to me and when I crash it I won't be all paranoid and in need of an ultrasound to check if my frame is going to kill me.
Same here, and throw on a steel fork if the suspension ever wears out.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:

It's not the same, the geometry isn't the same and these have drop bars. IDK why people keep trying to claim gravel bikes are the same as old mountain bikes because they're not.

Tags
aspirational goods, conspicuous consumption, the new dentist bike