Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider5 View Post
Read great things about the newer Mazda crossovers, I'd probably start there if I wanted something a bit more sporting in that category. A Highlander is a fine car but certainly nothing inspired. Though one of my central thoughts on cars is that 99% of people with SUVs and crossovers don't need the extra clearance. I'm not sure why as a culture, Americans seem to have avoided wagons when they offer better ride/handling/mileage. That's just me though!
Perform this experiment -- put a small child in a carseat in a wagon, then in an SUV. Higher is better.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:13 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky View Post
Perform this experiment -- put a small child in a carseat in a wagon, then in an SUV. Higher is better.
So you mean in terms of being able to put-in/pull-out baby/carseat without bending, etc? If so, then this finally makes sense to me.

To date, I've only heard the "But, an SUV is safer" reason from loving/caring parents, when they reason out the new SUV purchase.

I personally am much more skeptical of the marginal gains from the latter, than the former.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:13 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Wagon = better core workout

SUV = vehicle for fat, lazy folks who can't bend over

edit: jk

Last edited by Louis; 07-25-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:53 PM

Work at a Volvo dealer, drive them everyday and know them pretty well. PM me if you want more info..................
Old 07-25-2016, 05:54 PM

I just picked up a new '15 Grand Cherokee with the diesel engine. Very luxurious, serious off-road capability, but definitely not a sporty ride.

Got 27.7 mpg on the initial 700 mile ride home. People seem to be getting up to 32 mpg when I look at online forums.

Also got a Jeep lifetime warranty - very pricey, but I never even knew such a thing existed. I kept my last Jeep for 10 years, if I keep this one for 15 or 20 years that warranty will certainly pay off as the vehicle is loaded with electronics.

The vehicle seats 5, and on the model I bought you've got heated seats front and rear and the fronts also have ventilation settings for hot days... The rear seats also recline. Never had anything that fancy before but I like it.

I would have bought a 4 Runner or a Sequoia, but just compare their mpg to a diesel GC and you might change your mind about a big Toyota SUV.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidey View Post
So you mean in terms of being able to put-in/pull-out baby/carseat without bending, etc? If so, then this finally makes sense to me.

To date, I've only heard the "But, an SUV is safer" reason from loving/caring parents, when they reason out the new SUV purchase.

I personally am much more skeptical of the marginal gains from the latter, than the former.
The kid/car seat thing with an SUV is a nice benefit. I am generally anti-SUV but ended up with a Jeep Grand Cherokee in part due to the limited number of wagon options (looked at the Subaru Outback and Volvo). I like the Jeep for now but it is huge. Not sure I could parallel park it without the backup camera.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Wagon = better core workout

SUV = vehicle for fat, lazy folks who can't bend over

edit: jk
I dunno

I loved my mercedes wagon but probably not as much as my Land Cruisers that have climbed steep rocky trails that many would consider to be cliffs and as far as being lazy and fat, I'm nearing 60 years old and rode 5,000 miles in June....on my bike. I drive fewer miles in a year in motorized vehicles

Have you done 5,000 miles in one month on your bicycle?

Why are SUVs such a problem? I see tons of fit riders driving SUVs and trucks
Old 07-25-2016, 07:16 PM

We've never felt a need for an suv here in Vermont. Very happy with the 3-series so wagon, handles great in the snow, lots of space. We do have a truck, so I get the value of sitting higher, but there is also a cost in the handling.

The height of an suv is overrated generally, but if one can only have one such vehicle, I'd want to get the best possible fun out of the thing. On a budget, that would push towards a Mazda or a bmw or such.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I dunno

I loved my mercedes wagon but probably not as much as my Land Cruisers that have climbed steep rocky trails that many would consider to be cliffs and as far as being lazy and fat, I'm nearing 60 years old and rode 5,000 miles in June....on my bike. I drive fewer miles in a year in motorized vehicles

Have you done 5,000 miles in one month on your bicycle?

Why are SUVs such a problem? I see tons of fit riders driving SUVs and trucks
That's 166 miles a day! How did you do that? How do you find the time do that? I wish I could ride 5000 miles in a year. My 60 year old body just won't allow it. Very impressive.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:36 PM

Coming up on seven months on our xc90 ( well, technically, it's the wife's xc90).

I still think it is the best looking suv out there right now, with just a gorgeous shape.

She is averaging 21mpg right now, and I am amazed at its "peppiness" for such a small engine.

It is smooth, and relatively quiet. Only complaints I have so far is nvh niggles. One of the seat belts likes to rattle, and there is a mysterious rattle from the back that the dealer is unable to get rid of.

Thankfully there is a bazillion watt bowers and Wilkins stereo to drown all that out. Still frustrating on a nearly $60k vehicle.

Overall it is very pleasing to drive. Hope that helps.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:43 PM

The new XC90's are AMAZING, best looking and driving SUV on the market right now in my opinion. The interior is very luxurious. If you're shopping for an SUV it's a must-see on your list.

Regarding the Highlander - the 2016's have a new 3.5L atkinson cycle engine. I have a 2015 Tacoma which is the last year of the 4.0L, but a lot of the 2016 tacoma guys are having problems with the 6sp auto trans on the 3.5L. Toyota has just come out with a TCM update that is supposed to fix the issue but we'll see. I'm not sure if this transfers over to the Highlander or not, but since it's the first model year of a brand new engine design, I would stay away.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:46 PM

I think all the new volvos come with "thors hammer headlights" thus making it umpurchasable. We cant reward that kind of marketing nonsense if we want to survive as a species.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...nsion-details/

maybe just a lift kit for the jetta?
Old 07-25-2016, 07:51 PM

If we're talking big $, I kind of like the new Q7....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j2wgqmgtVe8
Old 07-25-2016, 07:52 PM

We have had our XC90 (2004) for 7 years. About 145K miles on it.
It is AWD and has the 2.5 5-cyl. A little under powered for an AWD this size, but not bad. Gets about 17-18 mpg city and low 20's highway.
Very nice driving SUV. Rides good, quiet interior, heat & a/c are great and a very good sound system. Lots of storage, too. Overall it's pretty dependable.
Seems to have a handful of rattles inside though. I've found some and fixed them but there are one or two that I can't find. Also, the plastic interior trim pieces seem to have gotten very brittle and some have been broken very easily. But then again, it's got 145K miles. It had around 80K when we bought it and was a much "tighter" vehicle back then. Wife used it to haul the kids, but now that they all drive I've inherited it and will probably drive it until the wheels fall off.
If I didn't have 2 kids in college, I would probably buy another one.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Lexo RX330. Used ones are nicely priced right now, I'd also look at the successor RX350.
+1 on the Lexus. A bit uninspiring to drive, but a stellar car.

Lots of great options. Highlander, Pilot, etc. Been driving my nieces Escape lately and it's really nice.