Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 AM
needs adult supervision

OT: your favorite french press coffee maker?

Yes, clean up can be kinda messy, but I was thinking of upgrading from my Bodum. Any one ya'll like in particular? Merci.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:10 AM

I am not convinced any other french press is better than the bodum. I suggest an iwaki cold brew coffee maker or an aeropress for an alternative method, rather than replacing the standard for french presses...
Old 07-25-2016, 08:34 AM

Espro has a nice filter setup ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Yes, clean up can be kinda messy, but I was thinking of upgrading from my Bodum. Any one ya'll like in particular? Merci.
The Espro is a nice albeit pricey option. The stainless insulated body retains heat well when making hot coffee. I use it throughout the summer for cold brew. The filter is a double baskets stainless steel mesh that captures most of the grind sediment.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:40 AM

OT: your favorite french press coffee maker?

I much prefer the manual methods to machines. So...

A French Press is a French Press is a French Press, IMO. Unless you go with an insulated model, but then you're not improving the taste at all.

Aeropress is getting good reviews. Haven't tried. I need something that makes 2 cups at a time at least.

I use the Clever Coffee Maker or whatever it's called, it's like a combo of French Press and pour over... EASY cleanup, good taste.

Next up is this I think:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006...&tag=hicons-20
Old 07-25-2016, 09:01 AM
slower than you

I have an Espro insulated, all metal. About a hundred dollars, but, will probably last forever (especially since I mostly use my espresso machine). I got tired of glass presses breaking. (Yeah, they just, you know, broke. Nothing I did wrong) I also really like the insulated construction. Coffee stays hot a long time.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:01 AM

I like my aeropress. Yes, its aero, and does provide marginal gains over my french press.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:13 AM

me and my aero

4 scoops of coffee, water into cylinder, press into measuring cup. Pour 50% into coffee cup, dilute to taste. Always another 50% waiting for dilution, reheat as second cup. Still think it makes great coffee. no muss, no fuss.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:17 AM

I switched to a Moka pot. Stronger coffee, almost espresso.

I use the 4 cup model, then dilute by 50%
Old 07-25-2016, 09:34 AM
Total Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
I have never felt that cleanup was particularly messy with a French press. On the contrary it seems like the easiest thing in the world to just quickly rinse it out and toss the grounds into the bushes. I don't bother washing it more than that on a daily basis.

Tai
Old 07-25-2016, 09:36 AM

Another solid alternative is the Chemex. I use one to make myself 3-4 cups a day. Easy cleanup. Never bitter, even with a really strong brew. Never silty.

Last edited by jtbadge; 07-25-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:05 AM
all slow no go

I've got a classic Bodum, Espro, Aeropress, and a few different pour overs (simple Melitta, Chemex), and do cold brew on the regular. We do have a cheap little espresso machine packed up back home, but mainly manual brew these days.

If you want to keep with press-style, look at the Espro. The double mesh filters make for the cleanest cup of press coffee I've had in ages (and the insulated steel is nice). That being said, if you think a Bodum is a bit of a bear to clean, the Espro is worse - the double mesh filters. I find for rushed mornings with my wife, we'll either do pour over or a big press in the Bodum. I prefer to use the Espro when I have a little more time to clean it up immediately (also, ours is a smaller size, so not as great for two large mugs in the morning, but that's just that).

If you want to try another style, just buy one of each They each do a different function very well. I like my big press at home (would sub in a big Chemex if I had one), and I like my little single serve pour over at work, and love the Aeropress for camping (or mornings at home when my wife is away for a nice single-serve).
Old 07-25-2016, 11:12 AM

anything with a paper filter is going to have a cleaner mouthfeel. metal filters (especially a french press's) contribute to coffee's super heavy body and grittiness or muddiness. you'd really notice a difference if you switched to chemex or v60 (or any paper filter brewing option). then you would have two brewing methods to mess with, expanding your repertoire.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Another solid alternative is the Chemex. I use one to make myself 3-4 cups a day. Easy cleanup. Never bitter, even with a really strong brew. Never silty.

Not French press, but I also use the chemex.

An espresso machine is well out of my budget so this is as good as it gets for me.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeheeb View Post
I like my aeropress. Yes, its aero, and does provide marginal gains over my french press.
This...
Old 07-25-2016, 12:44 PM

I like to cook it up in a spoon and shoot it directly into my veins.