Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2016, 04:54 PM
ZhugeLiang

5-10 PSI makes a WORLD of difference

Who would have thought that a paltry 5-10 PSI difference in tire pressure could transform a ride completely...but it did. I mean, I sort of already know this based off past experience but this morning group ride made it even clearer to me. I discovered late after we started our ride from the parking lot that my rear tire was running a bit low on air and I can feel it when we crossed the cattle guard just a few hundred yards down the road. That's when I remembered I had a flat in our last ride during the week and it was inflated using the frame pump with just enough pressure to continue and finish the ride. Normally, I would get home and finish the job with a floor pump but I didn't this time. Long story short, one of the riders was lagging behind with me from the group and had forgotten about his helmet so we both went back to our cars. In haste, I pumped both front and back tires using the Joe Blow floor pump I had in my car to about 95 PSI according to the built-in dial and even then my buddy commented, "Oh no, that's not nearly enough, you should go up to at least a 100..." I told him this is more than enough for me and we should forget about this discussion and get back on the road quickly so we can catch the rest of the group. He kept quiet and did what I requested. Now normally, I don't just rely on the dial, I would do minor adjustment using my very unscientific but highly intuitive and accurate "thumb-index finger pinch test" Again, we were short on time, so I went ahead without that extra step. We rode hard for the next 30 miles or so on our own before we caught up with our group at the rest stop. The whole time my hands were getting numb and really uncomfortable with jarring vibrations that get transmitted through the front end of the bike. As soon as we got the rest stop, I adjusted my tire pressure by letting some air out on the front tire, again, using my pinch test. My friend happened to be near by and he was like, "Oh my goodness! You are letting air out!" It was like the end of the world for him...I just smiled at him and said, "Trust me, I know what I am doing..."

After which, we continued the rest of our ride for another 30 miles...and it was like day and night...heaven and hell....fried chicken and brocolli.....dr.pepper and coca cola.....HUGE contrast...BIG difference....the imbalance in the universe was corrected....my hands were happy again...except my thighs...sore and crampy...but that's a different thread.

The moral of the story?....tire pressure can change the ride dramatically. never underestimate. It's the cheapest upgrade you can find to fine-tuning your ride.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:03 PM
all slow no go

Went out on a route today that I haven't touched in a good while. The highway has recently been chip-sealed (most of the other roads I follow around here are paved smooth). A little psssssh and everything was right as rain!
Old 07-24-2016, 05:05 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
A little psssssh and everything was right as rain!
mwynne pal, thank you for chiming in, your post is so much more poetic with less words.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:10 PM

Seriously, I do think he biggest improvement in bicycle technology lately has been this trend to lower pressure. It just makes riding so much better.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:12 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
Seriously, I do think he biggest improvement in bicycle technology lately has been this trend to lower pressure. It just makes riding so much better.
Agreed. I am down to 70/85 on 28mm Corsas. The ride is superb.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
and it was like day and night...heaven and hell....fried chicken and brocolli.....dr.pepper and coca cola.....HUGE contrast...BIG difference....the imbalance in the universe was corrected....my hands were happy again...except my thighs...sore and crampy...but that's a different thread.

The moral of the story?....tire pressure can change the ride dramatically. never underestimate. It's the cheapest upgrade you can find to fine-tuning your ride.
You had me up til the dr. pepper vs. coke. They're both good in my books.

Absolutely agree though. My ride buds always get bent out of shape that I'm ridding somewhere between 80-90 tops.

Would say same thing about wheels too. Had a really nice frame, but just wasn't digging it. Something was amiss. At least until changed wheels.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:21 PM
ZhugeLiang

>>You had me up til the dr. pepper vs. coke. They're both good in my books.

hall pal, I am just jestin'. When I am at Costco buying their dollar-fifty hot dog + drink, I am "forced" to drink C-C (coz they don't carry Dr.P), which I do so abundantly, with the free refill and all.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:34 PM

I am a 120 psi guy on my Mavic 40C wheels. I tried running 110 for a couple of weeks and had 3 pinch flats. Since going back to 120, no flats, and none prior at the same psi.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:39 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
I am a 120 psi guy on my Mavic 40C wheels. I tried running 110 for a couple of weeks and had 3 pinch flats. Since going back to 120, no flats, and none prior at the same psi.
Damn. Thats alot. 18mm tire?
Old 07-24-2016, 07:41 PM
ZhugeLiang

Berserk pal, thanks for offering up your alternative viewpoint, it's ok, it takes all kinds....
Old 07-24-2016, 07:42 PM

I ride with a relatively fast, strong, petite woman, 135 lbs maybe

She rides a Lynsky with Gatorskins inflated to at least 95psi. And she complains about getting beat up on our crappy roads. I have suggested so many times she could get by with way less psi. I have even copied her on some the semi scientific proof that comes off the internet. She will not change the inflation. So be it. I am thinking if she could fit 28 mm tires, she could probably do fine at 60psi.

Last edited by eddief; 07-24-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:50 PM
ZhugeLiang

A'int that the truth, eddie pal?!

There's not a ride that i go to without someone commenting how "low" my rear tire looked....to that i always replied..."it's super comfy, you should try it sometimes."
Old 07-24-2016, 08:26 PM

I'm riding 25mm veloflex corsas with latex tubes. For the heck of it this morning I dropped tire pressure down 5psi front and rear

I weigh over 200 and that put me at 95psi front and 90 rear.

Much smoother comfortable ride. That, great weather, and some new (to me) rock n roll chain lube made today a great riding day!

Think I'm going to stick with it for a while.

Last edited by Duende; 07-24-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:31 PM
all slow no go

5-10 PSI makes a WORLD of difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
I'm riding 25mm veloflex corsas with latex tubes. For the heck of it this morning I dropped tire pressure down 5psi front and rear

I weigh over 200 and that put me at 95psi front and 90 rear.

Much smoother comfortable ride. That, great weather, and some new (to me) rock n roll chain lube made today a great riding day!

Think I'm going to stick with it for a while.
I'm about 220 and run similar on my 25mm GP4000s. Sometimes a tad nervous going that low, but so far so good. Knock on wood

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2016, 08:36 PM

I went for a while without checking the PSI on my 28C Vittorias on my Allez DSW. When I finally thought to put air in, they were at 65 PSI and the ride was fantastic. No problems with pinch flats or squirming, even on the rough pavement here in suburban Chicago.