Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2016, 03:13 PM

In praise of summer jerseys...

I just got one of the Rapha Climber's jerseys with the last coupon offer. I went back & forth on if any jersey was worth $210, even if I was getting 20% off that. I've had it about 3 weeks now, and my answer is yes. This is, by FAR, the best jersey I have ever owned. The fit, the weight, the length, for me it's all perfect. On a ride, I'll see others with their jersey unzipped partially or even open and I'm doing fine still fully zipped. It is now my wash-as-soon-as-I-get-home-so-I-can-wear-it-tomorrow jersey.
So what do you have that works best for hot AND humid days? We're talking serious 85-90s+ temps with good ol' mid-atlantic or worse humidity. Breathing through a sponge humid. Anything out there that might give this one a run for it's money?
Old 07-24-2016, 03:33 PM

Concur. I've worn the Pro Team Climbers' the last two weekends in 100+ 8500 foot century in the desert mountains east of San Diego. Best jersey I've tried for that. The glasses wipe is nice too.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:38 PM

Ya, but the black one looks like Rough Trade lingerie.

Last edited by beeatnik; 07-25-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Ya, but the black one looks like Rough Trade lingerie.
PROLLY ???
hahahahahaha

Last edited by azrider; 07-25-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:05 PM
ZhugeLiang

I am still looking...

I am always in the hunt for a nice, economical, comfortable summer jersey to combat the Texas heat. I have never tried the Rapha jersey that makoti pal is talking about, I world love to, maybe one day when I get lucky on our classifieds. I have no doubt it is what my pal said it is. I have no need to dispute or denigrate its said quality in order to make a point and that is, I personally believe that there's an economical option out there that will get me maybe 90-100% of what I am looking for, I just need to find it. And it maybe that I have to go through unconventional channel or look for it in less than likely places. With our temperature rising quickly during the day, forcing us to start our ride as early as 7 sometimes, the search continues in earnest...

Another interesting observation... Long time ago and I mean at least 6 or 7 years ago, someone sold a Castelli jersey to me on this forum for very little coin... Thank you whoever you are, I can't remember anymore. It remains my favorite jersey for hot weather riding. I wore it so often and so much, the zipper has broke, some places have pitted threads, the rear has discolored more than the front because of exposure...nevertheless I still wear it and love it. I think a lot of it has to do with the fabric. I looked around at some of Castelli newer offerings but none of them seemed to have the exact same fabric as the one I got. So I am still looking...

Last edited by weisan; 07-24-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Concur. I've worn the Pro Team Climbers' the last two weekends in 100+ 8500 foot century in the desert mountains east of San Diego. Best jersey I've tried for that. The glasses wipe is nice too.
Mine got so soaked with sweat in the pocket, I had to cut it out & keep it in a ziplock. Nice touch, though.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I have never tried the Rapha jersey that makoti pal is talking about, I world love to, maybe one day when I get lucky on our classifieds. I have no doubt it is what my pal said it is. I have no need to dispute or denigrate its said quality in order to make a point and that is, I personally believe that there's an economical option out there that will get me maybe 90-100% of what I need, I just need to find it. And it maybe that I have to go through unconventional channel or look for it in less than likely places. With our temperature rising quickly during the day, forcing us to start our ride as early as 7 sometimes, I am always in the hunt for a nice, economical, comfortable summer jersey to combat the Texas heat. The search continues...

Another interesting observation... Long time ago and I mean at least 6 or 7 years ago, someone sold a Castelli jersey to me on this forum for very little coin... Thank you whoever you are, I can't remember anymore. It remains my favorite jersey for hot weather riding. I wore it so often and so much, the zipper has broke, some places have pitted threads, the rear has discolored more than the front because of exposure...nevertheless I still wear it and love it. I think a lot of it has to do with the fabric. I looked around at some of Castelli newer offerings but none of them seemed to have the exact same fabric as the one I got. So I am still looking...
Weisan, I got it as part of a bundle, so $50 off each piece. Then the coupon took another 20%. The shorts are a great match, but if you only want the jersey maybe you can go in with someone who needs a my-t-fine pair of lightweight shorts? The bundle was $315. So $157 for each piece? Very much a bargain for next time.
What model is that Castelli?

Last edited by makoti; 07-24-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:19 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Weisan, I got it as part of a bundle, so $50 off each piece. Then the coupon took another 20%. The shorts are a great match, but if you only want the jersey maybe you can go in with someone who needs a my-t-fine pair of lightweight shorts? The bundle was $308. So $154 for each piece? Very much a bargain for next time.
thanks for the tip, m-pal! That's how I ended up with the ONE piece of rapha clothing that i got, a classic team Sky bib short that I paid $125 after discount upon another pal's recommendation. I mean I like it ok, it's nice...but honestly, I don't think it's worth the $125 that I put in. I have other shorts, again bought used here on the classifieds, that were just as nice, if not nicer, for less than half of what I paid. I know it's not exactly apple to apple comparison as they were seriously discounted as used clothing and probably cost just as much when they were brand new, and it was luck and generosity on the part of the seller...but still good deals reward the patient.

Last edited by weisan; 07-24-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Mine got so soaked with sweat in the pocket, I had to cut it out & keep it in a ziplock. Nice touch, though.
Yes. Nice at the beginning. Not so much at the end. I've thought about an addition like this for a while but not sure where the best place to put it would be. Maybe a pull out on a jersey pocket wallet but then not as accessible while riding.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:52 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
In the cycling clothing industry there is a measure of jersey pockets known as the Fill The Pocket test, or FTP test for short. As with anything standardized, they also came up a device called the Elastic Range Gauge or ERG, which is used to test FTP.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:59 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
In the cycling clothing industry there is a measure of jersey pockets known as the Fill The Pocket test, or FTP test for short. As with anything standardized, they also came up a device called the Elastic Range Gauge or ERG, which is used to test FTP.

Ti pal, you are getting more and more creative and smarter without having to teach your brain how to think.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I personally believe that there's an economical option out there that will get me maybe 90-100% of what I am looking for, I just need to find it.
The Hincapie jerseys Bike Virginia has used for the past two years have been simply fantastic in the hot, humid weather we're currently enjoying in the DMV.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:21 PM

There is something here.

I went across the US by bike recently and had fresh kit waiting for me every 1500 miles but the Assos S13 jersey was so comfy that I sent the clean, non-S13 jersey back home. Although I would never pay $210 for a jersey, I get it.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:01 PM
ZhugeLiang

Just curious, what do yall think of something like this:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lou...r-men~p~122ag/

and this:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/hi...c-00505694526f
Old 07-24-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Depends what you are looking for, I guess. For the money, they may be worth the chance, but from what I'm seeing, neither would fill a "summer lightweight jersey" need.