Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2016, 03:04 AM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-27-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckroast View Post
I haven't seen Roy Buchanan mentioned, a troubled soul but I loved the tones he coaxed out of his guitar.
I tend to forget about Roy for some reason but I was fortunate to see him play in the late 70s or early 80s in New Orleans I think a Tipitina's. He was an incredible player just jaw dropping to watch and hear.

Interesting someone maybe cadence90 dissed Bonamassa. I wasn't going to say anything because I'm clearly in the minority but Bonamassa just leaves me cold. I do enjoy watching him play, but I can't even explain it he just doesn't move me.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:17 AM

2 of my favorites

Rory Gallagher, Albert Collins (aka the master of the telecaster)

Last edited by bthornt; 07-25-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
I tend to forget about Roy for some reason but I was fortunate to see him play in the late 70s or early 80s in New Orleans I think a Tipitina's. He was an incredible player just jaw dropping to watch and hear.

Interesting someone maybe cadence90 dissed Bonamassa. I wasn't going to say anything because I'm clearly in the minority but Bonamassa just leaves me cold. I do enjoy watching him play, but I can't even explain it he just doesn't move me.
Tips is a great place to see a show.

Two stories, first I was having a late lunch in a place called Snug Harbor in New Orleans, myself and my date were the only people in the restaurant side of it, as this place is divided into two sections. Our waiter asked if we would rather sit at the bar b/c the jazz band was about to start and they were pretty good. We declined. All during lunch I heard the band and they were very good. After we finished I could not find one person in the restaurant. I went to the bar and waved at my waiter, then look at the stage. BB King was sitting right in the middle and I went toget my date. He played for the staff and I for about 45 mins or so. When he was done, he told us that he wanted to sit in with old friends.
Pretty good afternoon.

Not to long after that, I was walking down Royal st, on a Sunday afternoon. A LOT of people play on the st corners there. I looked down and saw Kid Rock playing slide blues on a very beat up guitar. He had a big old straw hat and looked like he had been up for 4 days or so. I have met him a few times, so I said hello. It took a while, but he finally figured out how we met. He also thanked me for not outing him. He was also pretty good playing like that.

I have been blessed to get to meet a bunch of guys over the years, but those two times were pretty cool.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
This reminds me of when I went to see Bo Diddley in Rock Island. Typical old downtown venue: long skinny brick walled stage room with a similarly shaped bar room parallel to it. We were there early so walked into the bar and there was Bo sitting at the very end of the bar watching a Bulls game. We left him alone as I'd heard that he wasn't very sociable. A friend of mine and his band had backed him up (Chuck Berry pickup band type gig) in IA City. They were all excited to play with Bo, and wanted to take him out to a nice dinner. Bo told them, "just bring a cheeseburger to my room". Still cool to see Bo sitting there - pretty much unrecognizable unless you were aware that BO DIDDLEY! was playing there that night.
That's priceless.

I saw him in concert in Indy in the early '90's. He said before the show that he had recently had back surgery and had to play the entire gig seated. Maybe he was less than social due to back pain?
Old 07-25-2016, 05:07 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
same here - I want to like him and get why people like him but does nothing for me. I feel the same way about U2.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:24 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-27-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:22 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
same here - I want to like him and get why people like him but does nothing for me. I feel the same way about U2.
Yes, me three on Joe B. I respect him for the blues mantle he has tried to assume and carry forth but his interpretation of the blues just strikes me as forced and not genuine.

I believe he has an academic grasp of the scalar and melodic genre of the blues form but his playing of it doesn't convince me. Mind you I have no expectation that he be a tormented soul in order to tap into and play that emotion - just that he can find a portal in himself to get at the phrasing of those notes to make it real - because I know he can talk fluently about the structure of the blues form but it might as well be rock because that's the phrasing and attack I hear when Joe B. plays the blues.

Some guys that I thought could carry the blues would be Buchanan, Rory Gallagher, Bloomfield, Sean Costello, Peter Green but only for a very short time, even Clapton and Page could still bring it which proves it is possible to play the blues while not having flown commercial in decades!

Not into U2.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:43 PM

Son house is my favorite. Johnny Lee Hooker follows him. Son's music is amazing almost like GGM writing, it takes you just slightly below the consciousness
Old 07-25-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
This reminds me of when I went to see Bo Diddley in Rock Island. Typical old downtown venue: long skinny brick walled stage room with a similarly shaped bar room parallel to it. We were there early so walked into the bar and there was Bo sitting at the very end of the bar watching a Bulls game. We left him alone as I'd heard that he wasn't very sociable. A friend of mine and his band had backed him up (Chuck Berry pickup band type gig) in IA City. They were all excited to play with Bo, and wanted to take him out to a nice dinner. Bo told them, "just bring a cheeseburger to my room". Still cool to see Bo sitting there - pretty much unrecognizable unless you were aware that BO DIDDLEY! was playing there that night.
First rock & roll show I ever saw was about 1960. There were a bunch of bands with Bobby Rydell (!!???) as headliner. There were numerous other acts there including Bo Diddley. I asked the girl I was with...so what did you think? Did you like Bobby Rydell. She said...Huh? I liked Bo Diddley. I did not know much then, probably less today.

Bo Diddley was great. There have been lots of great blues players. My favorites these days are Hank Williams and J.J. Cale.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:33 PM

Mississippi John Hurt
Old 07-25-2016, 09:39 PM

I don't follow the blues all that closely. There is a show on one of local public stations, and it seems much of what they play is "who can whip off the most spectacular sole."

However, ages ago, one of the stereo magazines was going on about Robert Lucas in his group as Luke and the Locomotives (https://www.amazon.com/Luke-Locomoti.../dp/B000003HK0). In that album, he absolutely nailed the smoldering slow burn. Beautifully recored too.

It is also up on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BgF...d1IWB1dVRrEc7v

Alas, he overlived the dream, and died of a drug overdose at 46.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:45 PM

The finest band on tour today; Tedeschi-Trucks. Her voice, his guitar is blues made in heaven. I dare you to go and not rise to your feet. Whew!
Old 07-26-2016, 12:57 AM

Some years ago I was playing a gig in Chicago that Otis Rush was known to frequent (B.L.U.E.S. maybe? Can't recall) Anywho, sure enough middle-ish of our gig in he walked...he stopped in front of the stage and listened for a few minutes and gave us a "thumbs-up" (he was probably humoring us, but I was flattered just the same.) It was pretty rad.
I approached him after the gig and asked him to sign my guitar on the back. Which- even at that time- was a pretty valuable/expensive '60 Fender Esquire. He obliged- across the entire back- in VERY large letters with a black sharpie. I don't think he was trying to be an ass- but he was abit drunk and probably thought I'd be cool with it. Maybe I should have been...but I wasn't, and I ended up removing it and still feel guilty about it.
So anyway, he's my pick- an amazing (and somewhat still underrated) guitar player and singer. Often overlooked of the Chicago notables.

And FWIW agree about Joe Bonamassa. Seems like a good enough guy but it just doesn't move me.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
First rock & roll show I ever saw was about 1960. There were a bunch of bands with Bobby Rydell (!!???) as headliner. There were numerous other acts there including Bo Diddley. I asked the girl I was with...so what did you think? Did you like Bobby Rydell. She said...Huh? I liked Bo Diddley. I did not know much then, probably less today.

Bo Diddley was great. There have been lots of great blues players. My favorites these days are Hank Williams and J.J. Cale.

Interesting you mention JJ Cale, for me he's 180 deg Bonamassa. Live Cale back in the troubadour days before Clapton started doing cocaine was just chilling. He may have been the coolest white blues man to ever live. Don't get me wrong he stayed that way till the day he died but I saw him in either Baton Rouge or New Orleans and really at the time didn't know who he was and was just stunned. He was a human emotion marinated into a guitar.

Another guy I used to like was a young guy that played around Baton Rouge oh twenty or so years ago. Troy Turner, grew up in Tabby's Blues Box may have even been Tabby's son, not sure. Played locally with Tab Benoit a bit, really soulful with an awesome tone. I assume he's still around but haven't heard him in years.