Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2016, 04:04 PM

Dogs and Frame Pumps

I was on a nice long ride yesterday afternoon/evening when near the top of a particularly nasty climb an Australian Shepard comes tearing out of the driveway hell bent for leather. Now normally I'd just "give it the beans" as the Brits say and drop the excited cur but this guy was moving, and being as I was still on the top slopes of the climb there was no way I was gonna out run him. So reflexively I reached down and grabbed the pump from under the top tube. I shouted at the mutt to stop right there and swung the pump back at him.

One of the best things about swinging a frame pump at a chasing dog is even if it's a smart beast who sees the stick in your hand they don't realize it gets longer when you swing it. This particular dog was one of the smart ones and was waiting till after the swing to make it's move. So it was more than a little surprised when the stick got longer and the business end of the pump made solid contact right across the snoot. It must have been a real cracker too cause he yelped, skidded to a stop, and turned tail for home.

I almost felt bad for the guy. He was just doing what dogs do after all. That was till I looked down and saw the shaft of my pump was bent. Not so bad that I couldn't tweak it back into straight enough shape to keep working, but bent enough that I wouldn't have wanted to be on the receiving end of that whack.

I'll be going back by that spot in a couple weeks. Hopefully the owner will have my new little friend under control. I'm not sure his nose, or my pump, can handle another hit like that.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:11 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddsaabs View Post
I was on a nice long ride yesterday afternoon/evening when near the top of a particularly nasty climb an Australian Shepard comes tearing out of the driveway hell bent for leather. Now normally I'd just "give it the beans" as the Brits say and drop the excited cur but this guy was moving, and being as I was still on the top slopes of the climb there was no way I was gonna out run him. So reflexively I reached down and grabbed the pump from under the top tube. I shouted at the mutt to stop right there and swung the pump back at him.

One of the best things about swinging a frame pump at a chasing dog is even if it's a smart beast who sees the stick in your hand they don't realize it gets longer when you swing it. This particular dog was one of the smart ones and was waiting till after the swing to make it's move. So it was more than a little surprised when the stick got longer and the business end of the pump made solid contact right across the snoot. It must have been a real cracker too cause he yelped, skidded to a stop, and turned tail for home.

I almost felt bad for the guy. He was just doing what dogs do after all. That was till I looked down and saw the shaft of my pump was bent. Not so bad that I couldn't tweak it back into straight enough shape to keep working, but bent enough that I wouldn't have wanted to be on the receiving end of that whack.

I'll be going back by that spot in a couple weeks. Hopefully the owner will have my new little friend under control. I'm not sure his nose, or my pump, can handle another hit like that.
Should smack the owner, not the dog..

'Eddy'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8uP-dxllKQ

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 07-23-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:13 PM
Lanterne rouge

I just ride with someone slower than me. Dogs take the easy target.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:28 PM

I wonder how many of us have ever whacked a dog with a pump?

Not me. You sound so proud. Wonder if you could have pedaled faster instead of beating up on the dog?

Last edited by eddief; 07-23-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:36 PM

I find a spray from the water bottle in the face is just as effective.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:49 PM
In Velo Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Not me. You sound so proud. Wonder if you could have pedaled faster instead of beating up on the dog?
And you sound so sanctimonious.

Sorry, Pantani, but it's not always possible to lay on the steam 100 yards from the summit. And there are times when dogs mean business.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:56 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaq View Post

Sorry, Pantani, but it's not always possible to lay on the steam 100 yards from the summit. And there are times when dogs mean business.
Agreed. If its the dog or my leg? Its the dog by any means.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:58 PM

seemed like the appropriate tone

for the tenor of the original message. Just a point of view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaq View Post

Last edited by eddief; 07-23-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:05 PM
The B!

The one time I couldn't outrun and the dog was closing, I actually did go for my pump, but couldn't get it out before the dog broke his assault and trotted off.

I vowed to get some pepper spray, but still haven't.. I think I am a lot stronger these days, as I've always been able to outrun them, even on the climbs... But I am concerned about it. Have had some big big mean ****ers come at me with clear hatred and malice in their snarl.

I'd have no compunction against shooting the little pieces of crap.. I hate dogs, and I hate the humanization of pets. But I understand the world doesn't comply with my much more rational view on this topic... Shooting someone's dog, no matter how justified, is sure to result in legal fees I would really rather not deal with, as well as the inability to ever ride up that particular road again. The hill country of rural Columbia County is amazing riding, but the roads aren't so plentiful that I can afford to just give one up.

Got remember to grab some pepper spray next time I'm in Portland..
Old 07-23-2016, 05:08 PM

I've never been outsprinted by a dog. that being said I wonder if a dog really could bite your leg as they spin at >100 rpm. Me thinks they'd end up with a mouthful of crankarm. does get your HR up though when it happens. sprint or water bottle for me. what's a frame pump
Old 07-23-2016, 05:08 PM
Yours truly

I ride in the country a lot and encounter dogs running loose all the time. Some dogs do a friendly chase while others mean business. Most of the time, being mean and yield loudly do work to stop them on their track. Sometimes, I stop and get off and use my bike as a barrier and defend weapon for those perceived as mean ones. I am not afraid to get bitten but I am concerned about crashing. I wouldn't feel too bad about this incident, as you did what you had to do for self defense. I don't think a little whack is gonna hurt that animal. In fact, you probably did everyone (both owner and riders) a favor to teach him how to behave.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:36 PM
coffee consumer

most of the time they're just chasing or coming out to say hello....but there's been a few that've needed the squirt from water bottle or to be outrun. One dog really scared me a couple of years ago...25mph for 100 yards+ and he was still giving full chase and water bottle wasn't phasing him at all. no frame pump, or I would've whacked him hard. Kudos to you -- dog will think twice next time he takes chase!
Old 07-23-2016, 05:41 PM
Lanterne rouge

I was letting my greyhounds run in a closed off football field once at a park. Bleachers and all were in the enclosure. Out of nowhere a jogger appeared and was running laps. The two greys spotted him and went full speed to say hello. The guy was scared sh!+less. I felt really bad. They turned back at more than 50 feet away and proceded to sprint laps. I takled to the guy and he was cool about it. Didnt know how to take two hounds with grass rooster tails coming at him. He had no chance to get away. They just wanted to play.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:43 PM

Beware of the ones that don't bark.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Should smack the owner, not the dog..

'Eddy'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8uP-dxllKQ
Nah. I had the same experience with the OP once. I smacked the dog on the snout and till this day that dog no longer runs out into the street. He learned. All be it he learned the hard way but he learned. It's not enough to cause serious injury and I would never want that on a dog but it's enough to be a very staunch reminder of who's boss