Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Colonel,

What is your view on the potential for sidewall cuts riding gravel with the EL casing tires? They may be too delicate, no?
Compass tires don't play well with gravel. I had two catastrophic ruptures in June alone. Smooth as silk.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
compass tires don't play well with gravel, in my experience. I had two catastrophic ruptures in june alone. Smooth as silk.
fify
Old 07-18-2016, 12:09 PM

Ok. Two ruptures on new 35 mm EL tires on chip sealed roads

I've also cut the casings on the 32 mm EL version on true dirt roads

Of course this is my experience.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:16 PM

I don't doubt you at all. And it sucks. But, to be fair, others have no issues. Like I said above, must be dependent on the type of surface. I wouldn't expect any tire to experience sidewall cuts on chip and seal. Maybe the surface is different where I'm from as chip and seal I'm familiar with uses pretty small gravel that is not loose.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 07-18-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:16 PM

Gravel Kings and Pasela's are both good suggestions.

There's also these: http://clementcycling.com/xplor-mso
I haven't used them, but I've heard good things from many riders who have. I don't know if they run narrow or wide, so if you go that way, you might want the 32mm nominal size, just in case they do run wide.

You'd probably be fine on those Specialized tires also. Best argument for them, you already have them!

Chris
Old 07-18-2016, 12:47 PM

Conti Cyclocross Speed.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I don't doubt you at all. And it sucks. But, to be fair, others have no issues. Like I said above, must be dependent on the type of surface. I wouldn't expect any tire to experience sidewall cuts on chip and seal. Maybe the surface is different where I'm from as chip and seal I'm familiar with uses pretty small gravel.
Apologize for my lack of clarity. Casing rupture the size of a dime and the size of a quarter thru the tread and casing. These two were on chip seal roads hitting a stone on one and believed to be a stone on the other (no other debris but loose stone on the road)

The cut side walls on the 32 mm EL versions were on true dirt roads. I threw the tires away and did not take pictures. I booted one during the ride.

I have sung the praises of these tires and have many tens of thousands of miles on them. In larger volume at low pressure with light riders on great roads, I doubt anyone would have a problem. I can only say Bon Jons won't be on my bike on Octobr 1 at the start of the Route 66 bike race due to the gravel and other concerns. I felt I owed it to others to share my unusual experience with these tires.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I felt I owed it to others to share my unusual experience with these tires.
Absolutely, as you should. My suggestion to Nick was to try the tires out since his frame can fit them. Whether they are an appropriate choice for particular gravel courses (never ridden D2R2 so I can't comment) I cannot say.

The misunderstanding is likely on my part. I think I saw "casing" and my brain read "sidewall".
Old 07-18-2016, 01:01 PM
aka RAEKWON

absolutely good to hear your experience and I don't think anyone will say that these are durable tires, they are not, specially in the EL variety but I have not have had any bad experience with them on gravel so far. 1000 miles on the switchback hill (non EL), plenty of gravel and there are some cuts on the thread and I have had a few flats but they have been pretty much flawless.

I think it really depends on what you put em through and they are not good for all gravel.

I will be running switchback hills for D2R2
Old 07-18-2016, 03:33 PM

This topic resurfaces frequently, and as it should because dirt road tire technology, and offerings, has been prolific in recent years. Each of us want to find a balance. Some events like D2R2 are arduous, even the 100k, so we seek a tire with low rolling resistance. Who wants to be bogged down with slow tires when in the coffin? On the other hand, we also desire robust tires that won't puncture easily, and have some purchase on slimy, off camber dirt descents like Hawks Road in the Deerfield event. I have ridden Deerfield about seven times and have used a different set of tires each time. When my fitness is lacking I lean on a faster tire and squeeze my sphincter on the gnarly descents. When I'm feeling fitter, I generally go in a more conservative direction and add some tread and sidewall protection. I think the best tire I have used to date is a 32c MSO. This year I may use a fat Compass. Says a lot about my current state of fitness.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:15 PM

I used the 35mm Clement xplor USH last year and will be using it again this year.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:15 PM

I've used Michelin Jets mounted tubeless for the past 2 years riding the 100K route with no issues. They are listed at 30mm but I believe I remember they measured wider than 32 on the rims I used.

I have a new pair of MSO 36 tubeless that I had planned to try, but unfortunately I can't make the date this year. Not sure how those measure out since i haven't mounted them yet.

Whatever you ride, have fun - it's such an awesome day on the bike.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:30 PM

Challenge Gravel Grinder Race is a great tire. Nice and supple and rolls really well. I just raced Crusher in the Tushar with them and they were perfect. I used them with latex tubes.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Colonel,

What is your view on the potential for sidewall cuts riding gravel with the EL casing tires? They may be too delicate, no?
I had set of Gran Bois Cypress tires on my Witcomb down in Leesburg and the tread got shredded by the gravel down there. I would personally not run any of the ligher weight casings and treads for events like D2R2 or F2G2. I'll be on Pasela's, 700 x 35 with folding bead, again.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:51 PM

Has any used schwalbe g-one on gravel? I going to try a set of these for the heck of it. Also the schwalbe s-one for better dirt surface